1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

ME/CFS: A Case-Based Learning Module, 2020, Gluckman. Medscape CME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by alktipping, Apr 25, 2020.

1. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

just finished a recent cme on Medscape about me/cfs which got things mostly right although I disagree on how helpful the sleep hygiene recommendation is . it is still a vast improvement on previous medical information especially here in the U K . hopefully it will filter through to our N H S

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm guessing you are referring to this one?

https://medscape.org/viewarticle/927906

Joh, Yessica, Invisible Woman and 9 others like this.
  3. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good to see Gluckman change his tune (mostly).

Gluckman is also author of the UpToDate articles "Clinical features and diagnosis of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome" and "Treatment of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome".
    Gluckman's UpToDate articles, until fairly recently, recommended GET and CBT as treatments for ME/CFS (as has been documented in other threads). Komaroff is editor for these UpToDate articles authored by Gluckman.

4. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This was announced at the CDC stakeholder meeting. I've quickly skimmed through it and thought it was actually quite good - some overstatement here and there, aggressive use of medication (US-style) - but good.

This might be something useful for our patient organisations to work with - make sure that as many physicians and healthcare workers as possible hear about this course.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Joh, Yessica, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  5. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Michiel Tack - if you have time, I'd be interested in where you see the overstatements? Also, is it all the medication recommendations or specific ones that you are concerned with?

THanks in advance

Yessica, Andy, ME/CFS Skeptic and 3 others like this.
  6. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bit busy now with the run-up to 12 May but will get back to this! My first impression was that it was good though.

alktipping, Joh, Yessica and 2 others like this.
  7. Medfeb

@Michiel Tack - I understand and thanks. Good luck with May 12

alktipping, Yessica and Andy like this.
  8. Medfeb

Just an FYI...

Gluckman, the author of this Medscape CME also authored a March 2020 update to the Merck Manual for CFS. Granted that some differences are to be expected because the Merck article is shorter but its hard to imagine how the same author came up with what to me is a substantially different take on diagnosis and treatment.

https://www.merckmanuals.com/profes...nic-fatigue-syndrome/chronic-fatigue-syndrome

Moderator note:
    For discussion of the Merck article, see this thread:
    MSD Manual (US): Chronic fatigue syndrome - updated Apr 2020

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2020