1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Parliamentary debate today - Thursday 24th January 2019

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 24, 2019.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Round table with RCGPs and a big pile of blah from Brine again

JoanneS, rvallee, Inara and 9 others like this.
  2. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Steve Brine is basically saying he doesn't see any need to make any changes or motions. He really doesn't get that people are being harmed does he?

"Everyone can deny any treatment they don't want" - except if they want benefits of course

Forbin, JellyBabyKid, Woolie and 23 others like this.
  3. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Carol Monaghan MP
    Thanks patients
    Excellent research funded by charity and govt needs to take this seriously

VOTE - The AYES have it

Point of order - film mentioned

Now onto Newcastle football club...

janice, Sean, Simone and 12 others like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And given the medics are supposed to be the experts - how the hell is a newly diagnosed patient supposed to have any clue what is good or bad for them to want. He is actually making it very clear just what pwME are up against. Hopefully CM's closing words will slam him.

Forbin, Woolie, janice and 20 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Definitely another debate out of this he just hasn’t dealt with the motion

6. Barry

F' brilliant! Was that voice? Any idea of how strongly it was carried!

ETA: Is this definitely confirmed?

Woolie, Simone, dangermouse and 4 others like this.
  7. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, because I didn't get everything, what was put to vote exactly?

Simone, dangermouse and Barry like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

There was no opposition, if that answers the question.

9. Barry

The original motion. Up thread somewhere.

10. Barry

Very very good!

11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The motion

That this House calls on the Government to provide increased funding for biomedical research into the diagnosis and treatment of ME, supports the suspension of Graded Exercise Therapy and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy as means of treatment, supports updated training of GPs and medical professionals to ensure they are equipped with clear guidance on diagnosis of ME and appropriate management advice to reflect international consensus on best practice, and is concerned about the current trends of subjecting ME families to unjustified child protection procedures.

Forbin, Woolie, janice and 28 others like this.
  12. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a bit unfortunate that so much of the discussion was about superficial issues. Researchers in the field of psychology and psychiatry are essentially being allowed to produce junk science that then goes on to influence guidelines and public perception. And the lack of high quality biomedical applications is also a result of that. First, many researchers are misinformed and think ME/CFS can be cured with CBT/GET, which suggests there isn't much need for biomedical rsearch. Second, the applicatios will be judged based on how well the align with the established "wisdom" that ME/CFS is perpetuated by thoughts and behaviour. Families with children that have ME/CFS are being reported to social services because society believe CBT/GET are curative.

JellyBabyKid, Joel, Sean and 6 others like this.
  13. Unable

Unable Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was excellent, despite some MPs obviously feeling the time pressure as they spoke. Some very good speakers and points made.

I thought the response was less of a brush off than the last time. A bit more notice being taken.... but we’ll see where this all goes next I guess.

Now to try and wind down.... geeeze it was an intense couple of hours! :)

14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The vote was unanimous. Doesn't mean anything will happen but at least it's on record.

Minister disappointing as ever. The only thing promised was a round table meeting between the people who put the motion (Monaghan et al) with the GP's leader.
    Says research funding requires good research proposals and there haven't been any.
    Says GET/CBT are in NICE guidelines which is being reviewed and patients can choose whether to do them.

15. Barry

Not such a big deal, given the motion has been passed and should make it harder to sweep this under the table. This should provide real grist for the mill when tackling Cochrane, SMC (intrigued by what if any guff they are going to put out), PACE authors, etc, etc, etc.

JellyBabyKid, Simone, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  16. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:)I just want to thank everyone who has been updating this thread for those of us not well enough to watch or listen.

janice, Woolie, inox and 27 others like this.
  17. Unable

Unable Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agree some speakers didn’t take the angle that might have been taken, if they had spent a few hours on S4ME, but considering the very many issues that MPs have to keep up to speed on, I think the debate went outstandingly well. :)

Dolphin, Simone, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  18. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's an important step, but the root of the problem has not been acknowledged yet.

Sean, Simone, Snowdrop and 8 others like this.
  19. Barry

Hopefully be a bit easier now to expose such shameful lack of insight from government minister.

janice, Sean, Peter Trewhitt and 5 others like this.
  20. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The MPs did really pretty good (thanks very much to them) and genuinely care I think, they didn’t have to attend and a good number did, .... the minister less so. MOs seemed quite well briefed and moved by constituents experience.

It would have been helpful to pre empt the medical research funds ,”excuse” put forward by the minister regarding lack of good research applications. He could slip that in as he wasn’t going to be challenged. This has been the MRC excuse also for zillions of years and they don’t offer solutions to get over the problem just use the excuse. The counter to that is that it’s a vicious circle, without a research base and with such a harmful narrative previously put out there by sections of the medical profession entirely against patient interests, it’s hard to overcome the stigma and attract research interest. Afaic the main thing that could overcome this 20 year stalemate of the same old, would be to put in to be in ring fenced funds. You attract researchers by saying here’s money if you consider dipping your toe in this field. Researchers might follow funding. Isn’t that worth a try when it’s bleeding obvious that a lot of the current woes are because we haven’t had research. I’m sad this brush off was allowed to happen and this wasn’t allowed to be discussed to bring light and a “so what do we do when you’ve been saying that for fifteen years” rather than heat, when it could have been prevented by stamping on the argument before it could be used , but hind sight is a wonderful thing.

There are limitations to this kind of debate structure. It was rushed and then because there was no come back to the minister then things remain somewhat unresolved. If he’d spoken as a counter to carols initial statement then what he said could have been challenged in the way the prime minister has sto stand and be challenged Not just give a statement , often pre formulated.

I was glad to see possible reinstatement of the appg. There were some senior politicians there. Justine greening just seemed to say , quite reasonably, dont we need much more research to progress and help people. Unfortunately the block to that is the, for whatever reason, shutdowns maintaining the stalemate with no innovation, vision or real commitment from funders and ministers with powers to do more.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019