1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Parliamentary debate today - Thursday 24th January 2019

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I counted about 38 so it could be close. Let's hope some more turn up.

Woolie, Simone, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who?

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

No have to have spoken or intervened I believe hence interventions

Trish and Barry like this.
  4. Barry

I think the speaker counts too towards the quorum.

5. NelliePledge

CM speaking to the public health minister same guy who was there in June

Woolie and Barry like this.
  6. Barry

Not sure about that. Some will likely vote very validly having only listened.

7. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had the impression anyone in the House could vote if it went through the lobby (or whatever it's called), whether they attended or not. But I don't follow the process often enough to know.

What got me so far was when CM mentioned the minister it cut to him, and he had a rather unfortunate smirk on his face.

Woolie likes this.
  8. NelliePledge

Steve Brine is the minister - the one who went on at length about Unrest in June when he summed up

Woolie, Simone, inox and 2 others like this.
  9. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sir David Amess MP - I Remember Jimmy Hood (my note - he tried a ME bill once) and "here we are all these years later"

Telling story of a trainee teacher, fobbed off with AD's and I was not depressed, too unwell to continue my job, undiagnosed for 7 years, medics can often turn on you with contempt at the mention of ME

Justine Greening MP - need treatments

Sir David A (again) More from his constituent - I am not believed. Lack of understanding by GPs

Julian Lewis MP - speaks of a constituent Rachel King - understanding in schools and her daughter is one of the lucky ones

Sir David A - GP's are failing to recognise or even believe the severity of symptoms. No known cause or treatment. For the NICE guidelines to be a success we need to listen to patients. Isobel (one of his constituents) wrote and thanked him for listening.

Woolie, Simone, rvallee and 14 others like this.
  10. NelliePledge

I think actually if no one indicates against the motion it will pass.

Woolie, Simone and MEMarge like this.
  11. NelliePledge

The message about the money going on psych research has hit home with MPs

Woolie, janice, Joel and 20 others like this.
  12. ukxmrv

Adrian Bailey MP - social isolation, lack of DWP benefits. Although we have a world class NHS we still have these problems. Lucy, heading for parliamentary career and struck down. Could only work 10 hours. Described it as her brain being awake as her body slept.

Why the wait for NICE in 2020?

The minister replied on the last debate on medical research but this is being channeled into psych instead of neurological research.

Nicky Morgan MP - must be an increase in funding. Problems and dangers of GET and CBT. NICE must remove those treatments. Issue an immediate statement about these treatments for the period that their guidelines remain in force.

Patients are not believed. Compounds the disease and having a GP that believes would help.

Speaks of constituent who is a housebound mother and now her son is affected.

Another constituent - Alisha - discharged and left with no medical care as no funding for pediatric care

Sarah Reed "tireless" campaigner for sufferers. Mentions MEAction and time that NICE is taking on guidelines

Emma Lewell-Buck MP - lazy or hysterical women. No other illness would have psychosocial treatments. Added on as adjunct if needed but not the main treatment.

PACE added to myths around ME.

Told all in the head and sneered at. Her constituent Barbara Cowell described her GP and rolling of their eyes and others who wanted to help but were worried about GMC.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Woolie, janice, Joel and 18 others like this.
  13. Cheesus

Cheesus Established Member (Voting Rights)

Something that is clear to me thus far from this debate: writing to your MPs really matters. Again and again, MPs are standing up and saying "I have been contacted by my constituents who said to me..."

It is absolutely vital that we continue to speak to our politicians. It is only through the effort of patients and families that this debate is even happening. This is true of every country, not just the UK.

If you are reading this and have not written to your representative, please do so now. If your representative has made an effort to address the condition, please thank them for their effort.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  14. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nicky Morgan now doing wonders! Really standing up for patients.

Binkie4, Woolie, Hutan and 12 others like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

16. ukxmrv

Kevin Foster MP
    Impact this condition has on someone's life but the battle to have this recognised. No test and no cure.
    Condition has impact of 3.3 billion a year.
    Not able to live life to the full.
    NICE guidelines - wants to bring forward guideline from 2010.
    Remarkable given the impact so little research. Without research no test and no treatment
    Clearly an issue into assessments are given for welfare benefits. A good day goes not reflect the condition.
    Minister is not likely to be able to reply fully as not enough time left

Woolie, janice, Sean and 12 others like this.
  17. ukxmrv

Deputy speaker - very little time and reduced per speaker to 3 minutes now

Woolie, janice, Simone and 3 others like this.
  18. NelliePledge

As time is shorter than anticipated due to previous debate rolling over this will possibly be an argument for a further debate in a few months especially if the Minister doesn’t have anything constructive to say again.

19. ukxmrv

David Drew MP - mentions Charles Shepherd and the suffering of children. PACE trial and NICE guideline needs to be brought forward. Minister to explain why research cut and DWP, also early support, work for clinical commissioning groups.
    Overlap with B12 deficiency, often confused with ME and health bodies need to rewrite rules and recognise properly.

Woolie, janice, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Calling for revised NICE guidelines earlier than 2020, sounds good but obviously depends on what the guidelines were.

Woolie, Simone, Hutan and 7 others like this.