1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Parliamentary debate today - Thursday 24th January 2019

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 24, 2019.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Stephen Pound on the Labour side also stepping down. There will be a fresh effort needed in quite a few constituencies to lobby the new MPs to try to get them educated about ME.

Barry, It's M.E. Linda, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  2. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is one way in which individuals with ME could do more. I think there is a limit to what group campaigns and especially template letters can do so imo individuals need to be in touch with their own individual MP. However hard it is for our energy levels and brain fog, it just needs doing.

I know many MPs seem unresponsive but I think we have to suck that up and still keep pursuing them one by one. Some MPs are particularly well suited to constituency work, and so may be more readily responsive to our efforts. From Nicky Morgan’s statement, she enjoyed that side of being an MP, but she also went for high office.

New MPs may be particularly suited to being educated and getting involved. When our long-standing MP lost his seat in the Libdem annihilation in 2015, we were able to engage with the new one to write to Bristol University re consents for EC’s work. Not that it did any good but imo it was still worth trying at the time when he was trying to make a name in the constituency.

During the next few days, other health permitting, I will write to Nicky Morgan to thank her for her efforts.

Ed: email thanking Nicky sent

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    TiredSam, Barry, lycaena and 8 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Moderator note
    Several posts have been deleted. Please keep discussion of politics and politicians strictly to their work in relation to ME.

Barry likes this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m not sure any Parliamentary changes are really a big loss as there wasn’t an organised parliamentary effort after the HoC debate, there isn’t an APPG and i’m not sure , as we wait for the GWAS funding announcements and NICE review next year, if there’s great will from the forward ME groups for any particular parliamentary intervention. Nicky Morgan spoke very well at one HoC debate where she acknowledged the crucial point that medicine can get it wrong and can close ranks when it does , needing outside intervention, but didn’t so much at the next.

I think that writing to her and asking for her continued support is worthwhile , I have written to my MP several times over years, but I’m not sure as a community we have Clear targets for any radical change for parliamentarians to intervene on now NICE G review is soon, we don’t have campaigns on funding or services needing support from my vantage point..

6. kilfinnan

kilfinnan Established Member (Voting Rights)

She is exactly the type of person who should be a paid part time lobbyist and advisor. Respected, she knows her way round parliament and should be used in a professional capacity.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Hutan, chicaguapa, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

We need to look ahead and start getting MPs educated now ie as soon as the new Parliament is sitting so that they are prepared and can press for changes to NHS provision post new guidelines and in the meantime question NICE and the MRC about progress.

8. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am sorry @Eagle if you are still lacking in stamina, but if you are able to expand on your comments from April, it would be very interesting.

MEMarge and NelliePledge like this.
  9. NelliePledge

Seen on Twitter ( admittedly on parody Boris Johnson account but it is true ) Nicky Morgan is in fact staying in politics going to the House of Lords - Baroness Morgan - and at least for the time being remaining in the Cabinet.

ukxmrv, Esther12, Nellie and 9 others like this.
  10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I saw that on the news last night. Her staying in the the Cabinet is only a temporary measure, from what they were saying.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1206652497600958467

eta:
    MP John Hayes (Con)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Amw66, ukxmrv, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  11. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge likes this.
  12. NelliePledge

John Hayes MP - interesting that ME gets a specific mention. He wasn’t one of the gang of 5 who made the request to the backbench business committee so not right at the forefront but wondering if he was one of the 40+ who spoke in the debate?

MEMarge and Sarah94 like this.
  13. NelliePledge

Was trying to google to find this years debate.

this debate from 1999 came up I read the opening which was by Tony Wright a well respected former select committee chair. Very interesting and possibly of use in future advocacy with current MPs to show how little has changed in 20 years since this debate @EspeMor

14. EspeMor

EspeMor Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks Nellie! We are updating all our databases and working on next steps to lobby MPs and engage the community and local advocates. As has been said before, there are key points we need to take into account, including the upcoming NICE guidelines, funding from MRC/NIHR -GWAS study hopefully gets funding-, educate new MPs about ME, care and disability and so many other things! Do let me know if you all have any suggestions! :) I am easier to find at espe@meaction.net FYI

MEMarge, Robert 1973, rvallee and 4 others like this.