1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Parliamentary debate today - Thursday 24th January 2019

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 24, 2019.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I wasn’t in a study I was just on a CFS/me clinic programme but I definitely told them what they wanted to hear rather than what I was actually doing and how I was really feeling because I didn’t want to be chucked off the programme I was trying to keep my employer sweet by doing the NHS approach and not saying the right thing could have been a problem.

2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ETA:
    hmm... seems the whole post from MP Carol Monaghan wasn't included.
    It reads:

Carol Monaghan MP leading the House of Commons debate on ME treatment️ WATCH: My speech to lead the House of Commons debate on ME treatment

I thank all MPs who sponsored and spoke during the debate, and the the ME community for their support and lobbying in this and previous debates.

We have made a number of asks – the UK government need to take them seriously.

Hutan, andypants, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  3. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. This makes sense.

4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This post has been bothering me. In particular, the sentence "It was only when the girl's parents sought the intervention of the secretary of state that the girl was allowed home and removed from the at risk register".

The secretary of state is apparently fully aware of improper decision making and treatment in one case. He cannot reasonably assume that it was an isolated case. So what enquiries has he made, or put in place, to ascertain the full extent of the problem and its precise nature, and to initiate remedial action? If none, why not?

Daisymay, obeat, andypants and 9 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From an email sent out by MEAction

Barry, obeat, Dolphin and 8 others like this.
  7. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Wonder who the 7.5 people who voted Yes are? ;)

Barry, Sbag, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

10. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

try (without Quotes) "from:D_Blanchflower ME" in the Twitter search box. Tweets can be saved by accessing and then saving the URL in the address bar for individual tweets.

11. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Umm, I found blanchflower's tweets this way but I haven't a clue how to get them to post here.

12. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Parliamentary debate was mentioned in a critical news article from Norway about a mindfulness/CBT-study claiming to improve 80% of ME patients.
    Short recap of article and link to google translation here

andypants, rvallee, Barry and 5 others like this.
  13. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Get the URLs, select the 'Media' (film strip) button and put them in the box that comes up.

Snowdrop, andypants, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just pasting the links in the text editor works as well, it automatically adds the wrapping tags.

15. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you both.

Luther Blissett likes this.
  16. Eagle

Eagle Established Member

Thank you to everyone with ME and their carers in supporting my Member of Parliament, Carol Monaghan MP and her 24th January 2019 parliamentary debate and the previous two debates in 2018. Thank you to everyone including on S4ME for contacting and asking your MP’s to attend.

Throughout the period of these three debates, severe patients with ME who are bed-ridden/housebound/tube-fed in mind were in mind throughout the whole of last year.

Thank you also to everyone who has contributed their little bit of advocacy over the decades and those who could not contribute to these parliamentary debates and actions perhaps due to their health but advocated in other ways over the years which all helped in these three parliamentary debates.

I have had to take some time out recently due to the effect on my own ill-health caused by working on this continually for over a year.

There were foreseen and unforeseen issues during this period. It has been brought to my attention and been made aware of some misinformation but was unable to comment throughout the parliamentary debates and a decision was taken to focus fully and entirely on the parliamentary debates to ensure maximum success for the ME community. In due course I will be able to communicate more and provide a debrief to the ME community.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thank you so much @Eagle for all your hard work on this. I hope the after effects don't last too long.
    :hug:

18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Been announced on the BBC Nicky Morgan is standing down as an MP which will be a bit of a loss on the ME cross party efforts. Not a comment on her politics just it was helpful having someone fairly senior in that party speaking up.

19. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm just desperately praying that Carol Monaghan will get re elected

20. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I too am disappointed to see Nicky Morgan is standing down. She has been very supportive of pwme in the Parliamentary efforts of the last year or two. She has also responded to letters written to her by non constituents about ME including from US if I remember correctly.

ETA: ‘about ME’ added in last sentence

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Barry, It's M.E. Linda, Joh and 6 others like this.