1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Parliament: ME/CFS Announcements: Statement by Health Secretary Sajid Javid, 12 May 2022

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, May 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Stephen Holgate may have played the politics in a way that has worked out well for PWME.

But, nope, to be taken in by the BPS crowd is not 'understandable'. It was glaringly obvious to me that these people were bullshitting right from first coming across them. They talked a talk I had heard many times before. Wessely's first email to me showed either a serious lack of transparency or a lack of understanding of his subject.

rainy, Nellie, Cheshire and 27 others like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It has been obvious since 1989.

EDIT It has always to be remembered that in his first full paper detailing his new methods SW reported that out of a potential sample of 50 patients eligible, 32 accepted treatment and 5 dropped out (1 claiming to be better). Of the remaining 27 4 finished claiming to be "much the same", and 1 "much worse".

On such findings can careers be made.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    Michelle, mango, Sean and 5 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ariel, Sean, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.
  5. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The role of EDMs has changed over time and there are calls for EDMs to be reformed or got rid of, certainly there are MPs who refuse to sign any EDM. Few EDMs get more than 30 signatures and those signatures are predominantly from opposition MPs - notably the smaller Parties for who it's a way of getting some attention, this in turn produces a negative attitude in Governing Party MPs who avoid signing on the grounds they are only giving credibility to the 'other side'.

Edit to reduce word salad.

FMMM1, Sean, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.
  6. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

I haven't had any dealings with Holgate and those I respect (such as Simon and Andy) speak highly of his recent work.

My own impression is that the appeal to authority works with him. If the 'experts' tell him that it's psychosocial and treated by GET-CBT and patients are dangerous militants, then that's what he'll say and do, treating patients with a degree of contempt. If the 'experts' now say that it's biomedical and (some) patients need to be listened to, then that's what he'll do.

ME/CFS Skeptic, EzzieD, Annie and 7 others like this.
  7. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pleased to see my MP, Sir Ed Davey ( Libdem), in support of the EDM. As party leader (albeit of a small party) I know his time is now more pressured especially with seats in the House to win. Grateful for his ongoing help.

EzzieD, Fizzlou, Robert 1973 and 9 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Solstice, EzzieD, janice and 21 others like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have just listened to the section on this morning's Womans' Hour on the BBC. Sean O'Neill spoke very clearly and movingly about Maeve's experience with ME and the medical system, and made some excellent points about ME and the way it has been treated, as well as giving a loving description of Maeve herself.

Charles Shepherd was excellent too, talking about the new NICE guideline and implementation, and the changed view from psychosomatic to physical disease etc. It was a very good broadcast from both.

I was cross with the crass way the Woman's Hour team chose which responses from the public to read out afterwards, including one who claimed to have been cured of ME with complementary medicine, and others about unrelated illnesses. That seemed very disrespectful of Sean and Maeve.

Sid, Hutan, rainy and 39 others like this.
  10. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe a breach of BBC editorial guidelines:

Editorial Guidelines

1.3 The public interest

"The BBC’s Mission [4] specifies that we must ‘act in the public interest’. It is in the public interest to fulfil our mission to produce output to inform, educate and entertain. There is no single definition of public interest, but it includes freedom of expression; providing information that assists people to better comprehend or make decisions on matters of public importance; preventing people being misled by the statements or actions of individuals or organisations. The public interest is also served in exposing or detecting crime or significantly anti-social behaviour and by exposing corruption, injustice, significant incompetence or negligence."

my bold^

Hutan, rainy, FMMM1 and 9 others like this.
  12. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I slept through Woman's Hour because my sleep pattern is all over the place at the moment but have just listened on iplayer. It is at the beginning of the programme 0-22 minutes.
    I can't really find words. It was a superb piece. Thanks to Sean for his bravery. He speaks as well as he writes- so many points well made. Condolences to him and his family, and Maeve's mother. Thanks too to Charles Shepherd. I hope what is going on behind the scenes brings us benefits soon.

Sid, Hutan, rainy and 17 others like this.
  13. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I too thought it was a really touching 25 minutes.
    I too was so moved, and to tears by the sheer trauma of it all.

Shame on the R Colleges' NICE Round table Guidance event - dissent and particularly the Academy of Royal Colleges.
    I do hope Chair, Professor Dame... H S Lampard can stop and listen in her busy, busy 100% busy schedule.....?

She has had a high media profile with over 20,000 mentions in printed media and completed over 350 broadcast media interviews.
    Twitter....."Chair AoMRC, Chair National Acad for Social Prescribing, GP in Lichfield, Prof GP Education B'ham Uni: I care passionately, 100% busy, 100% enthusiastic she/her`'
    Does she have time for any practical hands on medicine?

"Following @sajidjavid Health Secretary’s announcement to tackle Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) with better care, support and research.
    Journalist @TimesONeill speaks to @Emmabarnett about ME which took his eldest daughter’s life. Listen at 10: bbc.in/3z0eEiK"

What, no ME Services in Wales... well what would you know?
    NICE Implementation PDHSL
    ....???

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2022
    SNT Gatchaman and MEMarge like this.
  14. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Academy of Royal College A Charity!!!!

https://www.aomrc.org.uk/invited-reviews-2020/

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2022
    Sean, Binkie4 and Lou B Lou like this.
  15. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

imagine how ghoulish one would have to be to regurgitate BPS talking points in response to this harrowing and courageous segment? Alas, there are several individuals on social media doing just that. It’s exactly why Medicine is so systemically shattered. We need the type of overhaul in this space the Secretary alluded to, and we need it now.

Solstice, EzzieD, Missense and 16 others like this.
  17. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and Lou B Lou like this.
  18. JellyBabyKid

JellyBabyKid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dare I ask whom, and saying what exactly?

bobbler, Ariel and MEMarge like this.
  19. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hard to listen to this interview without tears in your eyes. This line resonated with me in particular, as I suspect it would for all here.

"She researched and researched, she was incredibly knowledgeable about her condition, but the patient can't cure herself. She doesn't have the resources. She can't develop the new technologies and new medicines that are required."

Hutan, rainy, Solstice and 20 others like this.
  20. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly. The previous year Crawley did not get two huge grants as well, and her bogus LP study had also become an embarrassment, perhaps, as well as all her other public antics.

Solstice, Sly Saint, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.