1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Parliament: ME/CFS Announcements: Statement by Health Secretary Sajid Javid, 12 May 2022

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, May 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Statement

My Rt Hon Friend the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care (Sajid Javid) has made the following written statement:

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) affects the lives of children and adults across the country. It can be an incredibly disabling condition with fluctuating symptoms making it difficult to take part in everyday activities, enjoy a family or social life, access services and engage in work or education – especially for the estimated 25% of people who have severe or very severe symptoms. Whilst there are currently no known cures or treatments for the condition, people with ME/CFS can be supported to manage their symptoms and maximise their quality of life.

Today, on World ME Day, I have two announcements to make to show that the Government is committed to better care and support for people living with ME/CFS and their families.

https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-statements/detail/2022-05-12/hlws23

FMMM1, lycaena, Forbin and 36 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

3. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Is that an encouraging admission?

janice, Yvonne, Cheshire and 18 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I would suggest that it is a hugely important admission.

Wits_End, FMMM1, EzzieD and 31 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

This is significant. For example if someone decided to write to their MP to ask the CCG about plans in response to NICE guidelines such a statement by the Health Secretary would possibly assist in getting some previously disinterested MPs to engage with ME/CFS as a serious issue.

Wits_End, FMMM1, janice and 26 others like this.
  6. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Both very welcome developments. A spark of hope.

FMMM1, janice, Yvonne and 17 others like this.
  7. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is very exciting:

"To support these research priorities, I will co-chair a roundtable with my Department’s Chief Scientific Adviser, Professor Lucy Chappell, to bring together experts on ME/CFS, including people with lived experience to discuss what needs to happen next. The Chief Scientific Adviser has asked the UK Clinical Research Collaboration to convene a subgroup on ME/CFS to work with funders, researchers, charities, and people with ME/CFS to drive high-quality applications for research into ME/CFS and support the research community to build capacity and capability in this field. We are committed to funding research into this important area. Funding for high-quality research into ME is available through existing commitments of HM Government to research and development. The National Institute for Health and Care Research (NIHR) will work with the research community to respond to the priorities as set out in the Priority Setting Partnership, alongside other funding partners."

"At the heart of the delivery plan will be two core principles. Firstly, that we do not know enough about ME/CFS, which must change if we are to improve experiences and outcomes. Secondly, we must trust and listen to those with lived experience of ME/CFS."

Wits_End, FMMM1, janice and 26 others like this.
  8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very encouraging.

I love how the priority setting partnership makes it very clear that the CBT/GET approach and model is irrelevant for patients.

EzzieD, janice, Yvonne and 22 others like this.
  9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very good.

janice, Yvonne, Starlight and 16 others like this.
  10. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yvonne, MSEsperanza, Frankie and 15 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This could have significant legal repercussions. I still see from time to time people forced into CBT & GET or otherwise they lose their insurance or disability benefits. Even though there is no basis for either treatment to be useful, let alone curative.

And while true that we can be supported to manage symptoms and maximize quality of life, we aren't, not in the UK or elsewhere. So we could be supported, and explicitly aren't because of obsessive focus on irrelevant factors, as evidenced by being completely absent from the PSP priorities. That's another assertion that could be significant.

One thing that is important to understand about the Westminster system of government, where the government is composed of what's called the privy council, ministers and senior advisers, is that when a minister makes such a statement for the government, they speak for the whole government. If there is dissent on a statement and no agreement on what is official can be reached, it is withheld in discussion.

So Javid saying that in writing is the same as the UK government recognizing that there is currently no treatment for ME. A fact that agencies under the government cannot continue to ignore, although as with literally any rule, it's 99% about enforcement.

But this is significant given all the ridiculous controversy happening in medical politics at the colleges and institutions who keep pushing their fake treatment model.

Solstice, FMMM1, EzzieD and 25 others like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Article in The Times

Sajid Javid promises radical action for patients debilitated by ME

"Sajid Javid has promised a radical new approach to the debilitating illness myalgic encephalomyelitis, making the government a world leader in tackling what he called “an incredibly disabling condition”.

The health secretary marked World ME Day by telling parliament he was “committed to better care and support for people living with ME and their families”.

Javid will lead the development of a delivery plan for patient care and new research into the condition — also known as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) — which affects at least 250,000 people across Britain."

Might be paywalled but seems to be open access at time of posting, https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...tion-for-patients-debilitated-by-me-9bkq6qf5g

EzzieD, janice, Yvonne and 24 others like this.
  13. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Times article is not open access. If anyone is a Times subscriber could you please post a Share Token link for this article - that will enable everyone to read the article for free. The Share Token access usually lasts for about 2 weeks.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  14. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Article written by Sean O’Neill of The Times and I was able to read it, in full, from his own tweet:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1524811797290795010

EzzieD, janice, Yvonne and 17 others like this.
  15. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

17. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

While the political class may have been a critical part of how the appalling mess that is ME unfolded, they will also be a critical part of the means for us to get out of it.

This is very encouraging development.

Big thanks to all in the UK who have lobbied their MPs.

Solstice, janice, Sasha and 20 others like this.
  18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

While it is important that those of us who are able to do this, my impression is that this statement, as well as the statement from NICE, both built on top of the PSP results, is the result of a lot of effort behind the scenes from a number of our charities.

Solstice, EzzieD, janice and 31 others like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

20. PeterW

PeterW Established Member (Voting Rights)

FMMM1, janice, bobbler and 20 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.