1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Parliament: ME/CFS Announcements: Statement by Health Secretary Sajid Javid, 12 May 2022

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, May 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Relative’s suffering triggered Sajid Javid’s ME crusade

"Sajid Javid’s radical new approach to the debilitating condition myalgic encephalomyelitis was shaped by his experience with a family member.

The health secretary told The Times yesterday that a close relative suffered with ME, which affects at least 250,000 people in the UK and for which there is no diagnostic test, universally effective treatments or cure.

“ME affects the lives of children and adults across the country and I know from my own family’s experience that fluctuating symptoms can make it incredibly difficult to take part in everyday activities, enjoy time with friends and loved ones, access services and go to work or school,” Javid said."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/relatives-suffering-triggered-sajid-javids-me-crusade-6th2nv6wl

Again link is open access to me but may be a paywall to others (I am not a Times subscriber so not sure why I'm able to access recent Times articles when others can't).

2. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think is is great what's happening in the UK, but it looks like these things still also need some luck to happen, someone in a key position having a close relative with the disease. I don't want to detract from anyone's work at all who has obviously put plenty of effort into this, but I think it would be much better if decision-makers didn't need this extra "motivation" and would choose to change things for ME/CFS patients simply because that is the right thing to do and they understand that.

I feel if this, a close experience with ME/CFS is necessary for things to change, the rest of the world still has a loooooong way to go, too long. :( So we really need a biomarker and I hope that the research the UK is going to fund now will contribute to that.

Wits_End, lycaena, EzzieD and 27 others like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought that was the only explanation.

Yup. Same thing with doctors; when I was first assessed for a disability allowance 20-odd years ago, I got a fantastic retired GP. Really clued-up, really warm and funny. He clearly knew my own GP from when he was in practice, so I asked when I next had a consultation—apparently the assessor's niece had severe ME. Needless to say I got my award, but it was pure luck and it absolutely shouldn't work like that.

Solstice, Wits_End, EzzieD and 21 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

It is good that his personal experience has given him an open mind. He has said some positive things.

This being a substantial contribution to the recent momentum is a double edged sword as there’s the prospect of a ministerial reshuffle. So let’s hope there’s some tangible results soon.

Solstice, janice, MeSci and 15 others like this.
  5. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I feel like something of a sea change in attitudes is in motion globally, largely due to recognition of longCOVID across the world.

Fauci's recognition of the relationship between longCOVID and ME certainly helped in the US which has influence elsewhere and I think this recognition of the reality of the condition in the UK will help too and I am very grateful that Sajid Javid has an understanding of what is going on, though of course sorry for whoever it is he knows with ME. Unfortunately there are a lot of people with it so it is inevitable that people who make decisions will have some experience of it.

What makes the difference for us is when people feel able to respond compassionately instead of being expediently dismissive, which is too easy to do with PWME due to our defining lack of energy, we are easy targets. Sajid Javid apparently does feel able to act compassionately which is a credit to him and I am sure it will make a difference. I also hope he will get the support he needs in doing so, which I think he will as there are some laudable parliamentarians who will back him in this who also have experience of ME. I think ME is one of those issues of humanity which has the ability to unite politicians across all parties.

Solstice, janice, MeSci and 16 others like this.
  6. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree. I know many on this forum have tried to interest their MP without success but with persistence I think much can be achieved. Of course persistence takes energy which is what most pwme do not have. Sometimes I need to be involved via dictation to Mr B because I simply can't write.

For those who can, I think pursuing political connections is worthwhile. My MP ( Sir Ed Davey) has written emails to Lord Kamall ( who announced Sajiv Javid's statement), attaching mine, received replies and sent them on to me for my comments. I will respond to the latest as soon as I gather the energy. There is plenty to say. Research funding.

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly predictable, there's almost always a personal connection.

Now I hope that Javid has the courage to stand up to what's about to happen, for his niece(?)'s sake. Because he will see spitting rage and foaming at the mouth from influential doctors who will spew pseudoscience at him like it's as revolutionary as antibiotics. It would be very useful to be able to bring to his attention, and the staff who will do most of the work, about how the threats were debunked, since turned into "we're being trolled on the Internet". Because we will be made up to be horrible people who need to be managed, not cared for.

I've been saying this for a while, but the myths of psychosomatic ideology are way more entrenched that some people think. This is really not at all limited to our BPS ideologues, the rest of medicine has fully bought the onion.

More than the demonizing campaigns in the media, more than manipulating processes and, frankly, essentially de-scientificizing (I have no idea how to turn this into a proper verb) medicine, this is how it plays out in most cases, just small bits of intimidation, bullying enforced by cultural norms, dirty looks and admonishing about people not respecting taboos:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1525269776431362048

Solstice, EzzieD, janice and 13 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure he will have been well briefed by the ME organisations and the All Party parliamentary group.

To discuss the CDC, go to this thread where Gluckman's talk is discussed.
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/usa-c...nd-communication-calls.248/page-7#post-418855

9. Yvonne

Yvonne Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Javid's statement is very encouraging. I feel real hope in my heart that things will change, the healthcare system will understand our needs as patients, and the MRC will fund some serious medical research at last (just like I did in 2002 when Liam Donaldson said we had been in the wilderness too long, from today all that changes, blah blah, blah - 20 years ago).

Solstice, TigerLilea, CRG and 9 others like this.
  10. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

FMMM1, Yvonne and Trish like this.
  11. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

FMMM1, Grigor, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

slightly different article but covers similar ground & reveals he has a relative with ME. This is the link provided by MEA facebook page & i can read the whole article paywall seems to be down
    Relative’s suffering triggered Sajid Javid’s ME crusade | The Times

quote from Dr Shepherd from the MEA in a comment below the story (responding to natural scepticism of other posters

Solstice, FMMM1, janice and 23 others like this.
  14. JemPD

Yvonne and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. JemPD

It sounds encouraging, i just hope & pray that the usual 'experts' ie Wessely et al, are not the ones called to sit at any round table (or calling themselves), thats a danger i'm concerned about. We need sensible people who understand the issues at that meeting, there's a danger it could be (at best) a waste of time if we have too much BPS (or indeed ill-evidenced biomedical) blather.

I hope he will call on @Jonathan Edwards although i'm not sure if he is able to participate at the moment.

Solstice, janice, bobbler and 10 others like this.
  16. Yvonne

Yvonne Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is clear that they will continue to do their best to thwart any progress.

bobbler, rvallee and Wonko like this.
  17. josepdelafuente

josepdelafuente Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2022
  18. josepdelafuente

josepdelafuente Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure if this is the right place, but for those on Twitter - I just Tweeted @ Andrew Gregory (Health Editor at The Guardian) a friendly polite tweet to ask if the Guardian might cover the Sajid Javid announcement, as they've been silent on it so far. Others might want to do the same..

Solstice, FMMM1, EzzieD and 22 others like this.
  19. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The question is, what measures should be taken to ensure continuity of support? It cannot be long until the next cabinet reshuffle. There may be some in higher ranking posts who may not keep them. The civil service will probably keep on doing what it has always done, until someone else is in post The minister may pull the lever, but is it connected to anything?

Solstice, FMMM1, Yvonne and 7 others like this.
  20. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't tweet unfortunately but do subscribe to the Guardian. Have been feeling very cross at their lack of coverage. Once again it looks as if I will be changing my subscription back to the Times with a letter to the Guardian saying this. But where do I get the energy?

I don't know why they have so consistently ignored ME or gone BPS. Only 2 weeks ago they carried a letter from White, Chalder and Sharp. Good luck @josepdelafuente. I hope they can be prompted to do the decent thing.

We must remember George Monbiot's comment article of about a year ago however which was very much in our favour. If I find the link I'll add it later.

eta:covers long covid then goes on to ME. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...g-covid-when-will-ministers-take-it-seriously

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    bobbler, Yvonne, JellyBabyKid and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.