1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK NICE 2021 ME/CFS Guideline, published 29th October - post-publication discussion

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Science For ME, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You'd think so, but it's never been noticed before, by anyone who counts e.g. rational people.

EzzieD, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  2. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The thing is, who is all this actually aimed at? It feels like PG and others get off on baiting sick people (now there's a mental image I didn't want), cos other than his chums who may share the same views, in the grand scheme of things, no-one gives a hoot about ME or us that suffer from it. Is he just out there to add to his list of people he's blocked on Twitter? Maybe there's some Christmas sweepstake amongst the ME deniers to see who can have the highest blocked count by the end of 2021..between PG and MS, there's a decent completion going on I suspect.

lunarainbows, Ash, EzzieD and 13 others like this.
  3. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

totally agree, he has two twitter profiles, one professional, for the Cochrane, one to provoke the ME community. Working medical professionals are advised not to have personal social media profiles but he seems to revel in the the attention, like a small boy….quite unbecoming but I doubt he cares, he has some new friends…

Ash, EzzieD, Solstice and 17 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed, although it may be more shooting themselves somewhere even more uncomfortable.

I already have a paragraph or two on this; I could easily add few more names.

Perhaps we should ask for an official Cochrane view of the NICE guidelines. Do they support the constant Garner and Mrs Floptop or not? Or has Cochrane self-destructed now? If it hasn't `I think someone may have lit the blue touch paper already.

Ash, EzzieD, Ariel and 23 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting thought.

But of course they would not need to worry. A bit of CBT, a sprinkling of GET, and a dash of LP - all will be better again; they know all about this stuff.

EzzieD, Ariel, Solstice and 11 others like this.
  6. Barry

It's way worse than no excuses. He has absolutely no right to occupy these influential positions of responsibility that he does. Surely there must be codes of conduct, possibly contractually binding, that go with people in these positions; he must be violating so much in this regard.

lunarainbows, EzzieD, Ariel and 17 others like this.
  7. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  8. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder who---?

Barry, janice, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  9. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Prof Garner tweets “Nice Guideline for CFS/ME derived from activism, not research-from a recovered patient. I have never seen such a corruption of the evidence-informed guideline process.” Though what follows is my attempt at teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, I think it is worth repeating some very basic points about scientific methodology.

Though in medicine single case studies may form a basis for developing research proposals, in themselves they are never conclusive evidence for a generalisable theory. That indeed would be the textbook logical fallacy of ‘going from the specific to the general’. No rational experimentalist or even first year philosophy undergraduate would support this approach. This is on a par with saying ‘My friend has red hair and speaks Basque, therefor all people with red hair speak Basque’.

Yet here Prof Garner is not even arguing from published documented single case studies as a basis of justifying the Lightning Process, but rather personal testimony. Historically we see the use of personal testimony by religious cults and snake oil salesmen. How can we take seriously someone who places the tactics of a snake oil salesman above objective analysis of the experimental evidence by a group independent scientists.

Prof Garner implies the conclusions of the independent evidence review was driven by activism, which the cited Norwegian opinion piece attributes to an imbalance of lay members on the committee. However, as already pointed out here these patients/patient advocates formed a minority, one in four of the ME/CFS NICE guidelines committee, and the evidence review was undertaken independently to the committee itself. Yet Prof Garner, seems to believe that this minority somehow overruled the separate panel of independent experts that undertook the extensive evidence review and the much larger number of academics and clinicians on the guidelines committee, in relation to the Lightening Process.

I am mightily impressed that these five individuals managed to influence (presumably telepathically) the independent group of experts, who they never met face to face, that undertook the evidence review, and to also over rule the senior academics and clinicians that made up three quarters of the committee.

Presumably Prof Garner is following on from the beliefs of Phil Parker, the creator and owner of the Lightening Process, who has made use of telepathy as part of his previous faith healing and advocates that your personal beliefs if strong enough can change external reality.

10. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ash, Kirsten, hibiscuswahine and 12 others like this.
  12. Barry

The problem with PG and his ilk, is that their propaganda strategies tend to follow the adage: If you throw enough sh1t against a wall, then some of it always sticks.

Ash, hibiscuswahine, Simbindi and 4 others like this.
  13. Barry

Maybe time for a cup of tea ... PG Tips?

14. janice

janice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Now that the guidelines have been changed…….
    which is so awesome :thumbup::balloons::trophy@:party:

and I am so grateful for all those people who have done all those wonderfully amazingly effective things.

I really am no good at expressing how grateful I am .
    Therefore asking my next question feels somewhat dismissive and ungrateful. That’s not actually what I mean though. I’m just not capable of doing what these heroes have actually done.

The more I read this, the worse I feel and the bigger hole I seem to be digging.

maybe I should just delete all this waffle from me…….
    Somebody else might wonder the same?:unsure:

Is there a thread about how we all might help get the GPs and/or CCGs to get updated?

15. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I look forward to the extraordinary evidence for this extraordinary claim.

Put up, or shut up, PG.

18. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:emoji_fire::emoji_fire:

19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be fair, I think they sat at the same table or at least videoconference.

20. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, there were techies at the committee meetings when they had to present evidence reviews.

MSEsperanza, Kirsten, Barry and 4 others like this.