1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK NICE 2021 ME/CFS Guideline, published 29th October - post-publication discussion

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Science For ME, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Of course it's supposition. Our local ME/CFS charity provided a grant to send a doctor to the Emerge conference - so, quite a big deal, international flights and accommodation costs. She was selected as she was the only doctor who applied and she came across as empathetic and concerned about ME/CFS patients. We hoped she would bring back the knowledge she gained to share with other doctors in our region. The 3 day conference had a good biological focus. Nevertheless, Raijmaker managed to slip in a slide aiming to suggest that CBT helped people with Q fever fatigue syndrome, and lots of BPS proponents attended the conference and talked up CBT during the morning tea lunch breaks - notably Nathan Butler (of PACE fame, he runs a GET based rehabilitation clinic).

So anyway, the GP comes back and, as she was required to do, gave a presentation to the regional ME/CFS charity. And she explained to the audience some of the biological findings in very general terms - and noted that CBT helps by reducing inflammation. :banghead: All that effort by ME/CFS advocates in NZ and Australia, and we just made things worse.

We are well off-topic now, except perhaps for illustrating just how attractive the idea of 'correcting thoughts and behaviour' is as a treatment for ME/CFS. People don't need solid evidence to believe it. With the NICE guideline still being a bit equivocal about exercise and CBT, we have a substantial job to effect change.

2. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As someone else above said they'll find a way around it. The only thing that will truly shut them up is if all their papers get thrown out for poor research standards. Which is the way I'd try to go. Get it into popular opinion that unblinded trials with subjective endgoals are shit and it's truly the end of their empire-building. Hammer home all the other insufficiencies of their trials for good measure.

What we can see in a whole gamut of diseases is even with a clear and obvious physical cause, they will wiggle their way in with their bullshit methodology and suspect trials. Their science needs to be attacked and debunked for their model to fall from grace. Enormously tall order though.

janice, sebaaa, Kirsten and 13 others like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed. But the more and more sound evidence that emerges of biomedical cause(s), the more and more fantastical and ludicrous the psych arguments will become. There would then come a tipping point I think, where their science would finally be fully exposed for the shamanism it is. The 29 Oct 2021 was a very important milestone on that road.

sebaaa, Joan Crawford, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  4. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope so, so far one of the most ridiculous treatments invented in LP still serves customers/victims.

5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If a biological test is found they will just say that those people were misdiagnosed with CFS and carry on treating people who feel fatigued but had a negative test. That 49% of people who are misdiagnosed at the clinics won't have a positive test for ME and will still be there and the ones with burnout and time limited post virals.

It might not have much impact on the clinics because they do not treat us anyway.

6. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, as with ME, there will be many announcements of breakthroughs and biomarkers, etc, which turn out to be red herrings. I remember in 1987 going to St Mary's, Paddington, for the ME blood test announced with great fanfare on BBC news. But I was young then...

7. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Remember, (when it suits them) they're not making any assumptions about the illness or whether it is or is not pathological. They're just rehabilitating patients.

8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

9. Barry

Just realised - it's exactly one month ago today ...

10. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It has now been translated into English.

Which is weird.. They usually don't translate opinion pieces as far as I know and why on earth would they prioritise the opinion piece by some in alternative treatment rather than prof. Tronstad's piece?

The British guideline for CFS/ME is the result of activism, not research

ETA They are tagging the Guardian on twitter for some reason.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  11. Kalliope

This is what they say about which opinion pieces are translated to English and published on their English platform. But I'm pretty sure there's an editorial decision as well and that not everyone who wants their text published will get a yes from them. Also notice that Flottorp from the Norwegian Institute of Public Health has liked the opinion piece.

12. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could they maybe have been encouraged by the same English BBC journalist/reporter/? who has recently been contacting Swedish ME doctors/researchers and ME deniers, apparently asking around about the controversies and the horror stories?

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Am I missing something? They say they don't translate opinion pieces, yet that is exactly what Landmark's writing is?

14. Kalliope

Yes, they don't translate opinion pieces, but you can send an opinion piece to them in English or translate your Norwegian opinion piece into English and "try your luck". I can't recall having seen opinion pieces before on their English platform (but then again, my memory is bad so it might have happened). Usually it's a selection of their own articles that they translate themselves.

ETA: Scrolling down their site I see there are other opinion pieces in English as well, not just articles from the staff or partners.

15. Kalliope

16. Barry

With big letters splashed on it saying so.

17. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

18. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Live_Landmark
    ( my emphasis!)

The research group cooperate with Haukeland University Hospital with neurologist Jone Owe (phd) (11) and the National Institute of Public Health with Professor Per Minor Magnus (12). The research group also have a cooperation with University of Bristol with professor Esther Crawley.

Live Landmark was also one of the first members of Recovery Norway, an organisation initiated by medical doctor Henrik Vogt, phd and a group of Lightning Process practitioners(13). Recovery Norway (14) is an organisation consisting of people that have had improvement from ME/CFS, tinnitus, long term stress, burnout, depression etc., and who feel that mental techniques have been instrumental in their improvement. People who have recovered with medication, supplements, diet etc. are not allowed to enter.

19. Kalliope

Paul Garner has shared Live Landmark's opinion piece on twitter with the following text:

Nice Guideline for CFS/ME derived from activism, not research-from a recovered patient. I have never seen such a corruption of the evidence-informed guideline process. Nice should hang its head in shame #CFS

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NICE be like: "let's have meetings and roundtables so everyone can have their say and present their concerns, surely everyone will see reason here about how the process was painfully followed".

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1466163802647543808

Honestly at this point regardless of what this means for us, this guy needs sanctioning from his professional body. This is completely unprofessional behavior. Or as another dude put it, it's unbecoming.