1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK 21 June 2018 | 3-hour ME debate in Westminster Hall, secured by Carol Monaghan

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sasha, Jun 6, 2018.

1. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Hutan, Dolphin and 7 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope that removal of CBT/GET from the guidelines before 2020 is one of them, or at the very least a warning about exercise and stopping use of the CFS 'directive' version of CBT (as Emma described very well in the Scottish Parliament.....manipulative I think was how she put it).

Did Carol Monaghan get the breakdown of the Ministers statement from the last Westminster Hall debate? Would be good if she were able to come back on any of usual non-answers the Govt come up with.

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I would imagine CMs researcher/parliamentary assistant would have sorted out a copy of it from Hansard

I cant remember did folk on here go through the Hansard? if not I can dig it out and post it up on a new thread so we can highlight any good issues??

MEMarge, Invisible Woman and Trish like this.
  4. Sly Saint

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MEMarge, Daisymay, Dolphin and 12 others like this.
  6. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Hutan, ukxmrv and 7 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My impression is that this is a good format for the next stage of awareness raising in Parliament. A debate in the House itself would have been under pressure of time and would have been hijacked by party political issues. Moreover, since there would be nothing to vote on in practical terms there would be sense that 'the House has debated it - let's move on'. In contrast, with a Westminster Hall debate there is an opportunity to air a lot of relevant material and time to expect meaningful responses and all this will go into Parliamentary records. But there will be no sense that the topic has had its turn and can be put to bed. The material raised in WH can be quoted in health related debates from there on.

An interesting aspect of this is that Labour and Conservative parties are equally to blame for the mess we are in. That is presumably why it is being raised by a Scottish National MP and supported by a major Liberal Democrat (Cable) although he was in government during the critical period too.

8. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have been in correspondence with Nicky Morgan and don't think she can be there. She has a royal visit to her constituency that day but "will be there in spirit." Is obviously still supporting the issue.
    Anyone know who will be supporting Carol in the debate?

My MP, Ed Davey, has a Chair commitment but will see what can be done for part of it. No firm commitment but a lot of support. I am at sea (ha,ha) so may be unable to respond.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    MEMarge, MSEsperanza, Inara and 4 others like this.
  9. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to ask again- does anyone know who will be supporting Carol in the debate? It's 3 hours so there is a lot more time for other MPs to speak. Not sure what the format is. Anyone?
    She is deputy Chair of Forward for ME now. Is there support for her in the Commons from there?
    She had taken on a big issue and I hope we can support her all we can.
    Has anyone any info about this? I am sorry that Nicky Morgan is unable to be there.

ETA: replace from for 'for' in para 2. Second time, second sentence.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    MEMarge and Skycloud like this.
  10. Indigophoton

11. Indigophoton

12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad she's pressing him, but there's a bit of a problem with asking for 'funding for treatment'. What treatment? I'd rather she asked for funding for better diagnosis and medical and social care support.

MEMarge, Hutan, lycaena and 7 others like this.
  13. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have the impression that Carol Monaghan is doing a good job trying to assimilate a lot of information in a short space of time about ME alongside her other responsibilities but I wonder if she would be helped by a quiet think with someone knowledgeable to really tease out with some clarity what the priority issues are

MEMarge, lycaena, Cinders66 and 3 others like this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

Yes, I did offer but got no reply.

Pressing Hunt for funding may backfire because Sir Simon will pop up and say yes we are greatly increasing funding for treatment with the new injection of cash from the Prime Minister - with IAPT. Hunt will be able to say that all is in hand, Carol, we already thought of it.

Hutan, lycaena, Inara and 6 others like this.
  15. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh jeez, u can't be up to these guys. I have butterflies in my stomach about Thursday...I won't be watching but I will be lighting a candle and hoping to God that it goes well.

Inara likes this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

I think I may be able to go on Thursday. I need to find out the procedure and how early to get there.

17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

r
    not been in some years there is a big queue for security airport style not sure how efficient it is. Ideally you would get an invite from CM or an MP I think you would get a different kind of visitors pass. Failing that you join the public queue https://www.parliament.uk/visiting/visiting-and-tours/watch-committees-and-debates/debates/ If you are in contact with Charles Shepherd at all he's probably got info as I believe he was there in February in the background behind CM. Or Sarah Reed from MEAction.

18. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Sunshine3 I'm feeling a bit tense about it too :hug:

Inara, Sunshine3 and Amw66 like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

I was with Charles last week and I think he said he was going. He reckoned on getting there about an hour before. I think I will email him.

Inara, Cinders66, MeSci and 12 others like this.
  20. Sly Saint

shame Carol can't wear a little earpiece ( like in spy films ) so you can prompt her from afar.