1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trudie Chalder, BPS and MUS proponent - presentations, interviews and news

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Esther12, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am genuinely disturbed when I think of all of the people "studying" and "training" in this stuff.

Hutan, bobbler, alktipping and 15 others like this.
  2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yeah... its chilling

Hutan, bobbler, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  3. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope this video is really gone; it took a long time. I hope this is a sign that people such as Chalder will soon no longer be regarded as "experts" on this.

alktipping, MEMarge, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  5. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see the course on setting up a multidisciplinary team features a specific doctor who is now, as of September, "the NHS’s first ever National Specialty Adviser for Long Covid – a role created to help the NHS meet the new demand for ongoing care from people suffering long term physical and psychological after-effects from the virus."

This doctor is exceptionally keen to address the potential self reinforcing loop triggered by infection, which may mainly consist of poor sleep/apnoea, anxiety and worse symptoms. Certainly a figure to watch for emerging developments.

PS. dry tone intended

EDIT: removed the name because a public post and not sure I would like this coming up in a search

EDIT V2: reference for the above quote https://www.newcastle-hospitals.nhs...t-national-speciality-advisor-for-long-covid/

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    Hutan, alktipping, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see that the director is based at UCL. We may have to keep our eyes on this. We are seeing some strange links. Bannerjee, who wrote this apparent allusion to Wessely, https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.n2736 seemingly unwittingly,( but who knows?) is at the institution. Tim Kendall the NHS England and NHS Improvement-X24 clinical director of Mental Health is also a visiting Professor.

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Ali, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  8. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, bobbler, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  9. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've got an excuse to do covid related courses and webinars, I've started going through and already found and reported a ref to the 2007 ME guidance and 'graded exercise'

11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Webinar Dec 2021
    How to Approach Long COVID: Research Update and Practical Applications
    Presented by Professor Trudie Chalder

"...We have developed an approach which is based on the idea that after the initial illness has subsided physical and psychological processes contribute to ongoing symptoms, distress and disability. By targeting these processes and regulating sleep, rest and activity, as well as reducing distress it is possible that symptoms will reduce and quality of life will improve. This workshop will emphasise the importance of a formulation driven approach."

more at
    BPS attempts at psychologizing Long Covid

bobbler, Barry, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.
  12. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I absolutely detest that word "distress".

In a post by @JemPD she said :

and I completely understand what she was getting at with the comment about swooning Victorian ladies. I think the connotations may be similar with "distress".

I think the connotations of "distress" are equally insulting and dismissive in a medical context, suggesting that people who are distressed are weak and need to stiffen their spines and their upper lips. I personally associate distress with babies and toddlers crying or people crying at funerals. I don't associate it with people being ill. Does anyone with a broken leg, appendicitis or flu ever get described as "distressed"?

[Actually, I can imagine someone not getting a diagnosis for appendicitis might get distressed if they were turned away by a doctor with no diagnosis or with a referral to a CBT therapist.]

13. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Idea. An approach based on an idea.

bobbler, Sean, Arnie Pye and 3 others like this.
  14. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

So, not person-centred, personalised medicine that is impossible to study then?

bobbler, Snow Leopard, Wyva and 9 others like this.
  15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

That has been tested and has consistently failed to deliver any real explanatory or therapeutic power.

Hutan, bobbler, Kirsten and 4 others like this.
  16. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, agree. It is used with negative (belittling, infantilising, misogynistic) connotations exactly as you describe. As we all know, anyone suffering these symptoms would be distressed, by their very nature and degree. It is remarkable how people learn to suppress and hide this from doctors and society at large. Probably something everyone reading this thread understands intimately.

Actually yes. It's a common term for describing a medical presentation that is clearly due to physical pathology. Its most common use case is "respiratory distress", which would be further delineated in terms of respiratory rate and effort/work of breathing, along with pulse rate and oxygen saturation.

17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

podcast interview
    Why Do Patients With Gout Not Take Allopurinol?
    https://www.jrheum.org/content/49/6/622

(haven't listened to it; curious about TCs involvement)

Ravn, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  18. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why Do Patients With Gout Not Take Allopurinol?

I don't know if gout affects men more than women, or if gender is at all relevant. But I bet if they had done a study using female subjects they would have studied anxiety and depression as reasons for non-adherence.

Kirsten, Ravn, Sean and 4 others like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Spontaneous gout is much more common in men, and even more so in Maori men. Old ladies get gout if put on diuretics.

I don't quite get what the Intentional Non-Adherence Scale is supposed to do and wonder if it was modelled on the Chalder Fatigue Scale. The results suggest that, as one might expect, there is nothing to 'scale'. What matter are the answers to specific questions on their own.

And if you ask specific questions you will get answers that fit those questions (so we are taught not to ask such leading questions in medicine). I wonder if the questions include: 'Can't be bothered'. 'Sod that.' 'Too sozzled to care, frankly.'

Mithriel, FMMM1, Missense and 12 others like this.
  20. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't fully get why the research is needed. I can imagine who the individuals are (almost imagine the types of interactions going on at an appointment), and noone is being told anything new

More to the point given that taking allopurinol or not and getting agonising pain is instrumental conditioning in itself - a couple of bouts of gout following forgetting or deciding not to take it will quash any boundary-testing in the dumbest of creatures surely - and there is nothing stronger than that in the world of psychological techniques, so why would you claim/think 'interventions' would better that?

*EDIT: the only exception being in capability issues such as dementia etc - so why Chalder would be involved and solutions wouldn't be based on electronic memory aids involving product designers instead I don't know

If the symptoms were different, less direct, more of a problem for others than pain to themselves I might understand, but it is as direct as it comes to Pavlov/Skinner surely?

Is it the type of condition that early adherence makes a difference to long-term outcome - I'm unaware whether gout is the sort of thing that costs huge amounts to treat or becomes irreversibly worse etc?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    alktipping, Arnie Pye, Ravn and 2 others like this.