1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trudie Chalder, BPS and MUS proponent - presentations, interviews and news

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Esther12, Sep 2, 2018.

1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But Health Education England is part of the NHS, and also has its own complaints system.

2. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, it really seems like a problem that she is "training" people - someone should be made aware of this content, shouldn't they?

3. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did someone have to log-in to get access to this webinar? Looking at the complaints procedure, any complaint might have to come from healthcare professionals getting the training...

Hutan, alktipping, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

One for @PhysiosforME and their long Covid equivalent who they are working with, I think.

5. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, important to realise that this is not just a random video, but is part of Health Education England's e-learning for NHS clinicians.

I asked someone with access to this to find out if there were any other Long COVID or ME/CFS related courses; as shown by the screenshots below, there are courses on fatigue in Long COVID, the setting up of post-COVID rehabilitation clinics, a course on "persistent physical symptoms", and a course on managing ME in adolescents (by a nurse at Great Ormond Street).

Someone with good reason to take these courses really needs to review all of this content with a critical eye and ensure that HEE receives complaints where, as in the Chalder video, bogus, fraudulent or insulting claims are made.

Attached Files:

• x.pdf
      File size:
      777.1 KB
      Views:
    Hutan, alktipping, Jan and 13 others like this.
  6. Ariel

Can anyone just upload a course? How did someone with the history and background of Chalder come to be doing a training video on this topic at such a crucial time?

Hutan, alktipping, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  7. Trish

Sadly, as far as the establishment is concerned, she's the expert. :(:banghead:

Hutan, alktipping, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a very good point. What is Chalder's qualification that legally entitles her to issue this misinformation and health "advice"? There must be some legal requirement, else I could just set up shop myself.

It says here https://www.kcl.ac.uk/people/professor-trudie-chalder that she is a "Professor of Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy", lord help us all. But that cannot surely be deemed adequate in law. She is pushing medical advice for goodness sake!

(Edited before typing to avoid a lot of expletives ;)).

9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

What is the group the ME organisations are in with LC groups? They should be addressing this BS.

10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's slow but it's started. I think until recently they thought it would be different for them, the realization of how messed up and real this is takes some time to accept, it's genuinely too dystopian to take seriously at first.

11. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long Covid Alliance?

https://longcovidalliance.org/

12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes I think that must be what I had in mind.

13. Barry

Truth is, until people fall victim to it, it's almost beyond grasp that such vandalization of science and medicine are possible in this day and age in the UK.

Hutan, alktipping, Ali and 13 others like this.
  14. Trish

She's a nurse, and has a Masters in Health Psychology and a PhD in psychology. That qualifies her to treat any physical illness with psychological therapy apparently. That's what health psychologists do. They mess with the heads of sick people. And of course as far as she's concerned ME/CFS and long Covid are psychosomatic, so she is an expert with all the qualifications she needs.

The whole 'health psychology' thing seems to be a disaster area.

Hutan, alktipping, Ali and 15 others like this.
  15. Ariel

Does anyone think it's remotely possible to get a warning on the video to the effect that this is basically a psychological approach, as this is the person's area of "expertise"? What she says about exercise is clearly untrue and unsafe, and this should also be of great concern to anyone looking at this. Aren't the NHS ever going to caution against people with PEM exercising? Some context would go a long way.

16. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ladycatlover, Jan, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  17. Ariel

Apparently many of these BPS-style postgrads studying under people like TC are women? That is what I was told and what I have observed online

18. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

And other parts of the world. I was explaining why pwME are so upset about certain researchers after one of the "patients are abusing researchers" articles were published over here, and it was ended by the other person saying "I don't believe such shoddy research and care is possible or would be allowed to go on" :banghead:

19. Barry

But that is exactly the point - it really is incredible.

alktipping, Jan, Mithriel and 10 others like this.
  20. Trish

I think it's simply that psychology students are mostly female. I've seen figures around 80%. Maybe even more so in 'health psychology' and CBT therapy courses.