1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trudie Chalder, BPS and MUS proponent - presentations, interviews and news

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Esther12, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've done a transcript; I didn't do the Q&A at the end.
    Also there are bits where I couldn't hear properly what was said so there are a few ?? throughout.
    Haven't really checked for errors.
    She is definitely rattled by recent goings on but unfortunately doesn't seem deterred, but the fact that ME is only mentioned in the context of opposition to her research very much paints the picture that it is the ME community who are 'misguided'.

would appreciate feedback
    @Brian Hughes

Attached Files:

Arvo, Hutan, MSEsperanza and 17 others like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @Sly Saint

3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a very strange comment in this

And symptoms are made worse by activity, at least that's what the patients' experience is.

Does she doubt this?

Is it not her experience of patients reactions?

If she thinks it untrue, what are the patients she sees suffering from.

4. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A free ride?

5. ME/CFS Skeptic

Somatic attributions, fear-avoidance, catastrophizing, hypervigilance, perfectionism, neuroticism, kinesiophobia and all that shizzle.

At least that's what Chalder seems to think after all those years of experience.

6. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But ultimately, who is paying the bill for this MUS umbrella, and why? Somehow I doubt there is financial critical mass in a patient base for BPSers.

This is why I am concerned at times that the mental vs medical debate misses the mark. I think, from a patient's perspective, it's fairer to ask what profession has been most harmful to the patient community and why. Insurance companies and State agencies have a lot riding on a set of diagnoses.

7. Sly Saint

interesting that Chalder says she doesn't like this term.
    Possibly because it implies that they are medical (albeit as yet unexplained) symptoms, whereas she thinks they are behavioural symptoms.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  8. AR68

AR68 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks MW.

Approximately 35 people attended, mostly young (as is referred to in the talk) and, I'd say, mostly female. The room was slightly less than half full. There was a slide show presentation which displayed a bit more data but unfortunately (albeit it's probably fairer to say 'fortunately') there appears to be no official recording of this event online.

Given that this was a public meeting (i.e. anyone could attend) and that there appeared to be no warnings about recording I felt I was within my rights to record. These matters are of some public interest and at no point did I question, challenge, harass or abuse any of the participants therefore I believe that I did nothing that was questionable.

9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks to @Sly Saint for that transcript. I've got some notes, but they are very far from comprehensive.

Hmmm....

That's Isaac Marks, the aversion therapy researcher: http://gaynewsarchive.org/tag/isaac-marks/

Okay, well if she still speaks of him like that then that makes a bit more sense of why she thinks she is unfairly criticised.

This is one of the old studies oceanblue pointed out problems with on PR: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-90s-that-keep-cropping-up.10274/#post-183831

Chalder goes on to some risk factor stuff but it's really difficult to fact check anything without knowing what she is citing. My suspicion is that a lot of it is weak/misleading. A lot of the work she seems to like in this area seems to ignore how the severity of the initial infection can confound data on negative expectations, time spent resting, etc.

That is an interesting understanding of autonomic dysfunction.

Did she again cite that study and omit the 12 month data with no significant difference between groups (or any of the other many problems with it)?

I've reposted some critical comments about that study here:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/2003-...id-recovery-in-infectious-mononucleosis.8644/

I'm only on page 2 of this transcript and I've already lost the will to take it seriously. I used to be so much more committed to this stuff!

That Cochrane? If so, how come there's no mention of the editor's note warning of problems?! Earlier in this very talk she had said "And some people have suggested that CBT only really works on people who have got anxiety and depression but not people who have got fatigue or pain, in fact we found the opposite, that those people with mood disorders did less well."

And? The third funder? A bit controversial? No mention for the DWP?

It's possible that Chalder is so blind to the problems with her own work that she genuinely believes this.

After a long discussion on mediation claims from PACE she says:

So, as Simon McGrath pointed out in his letter about this study:

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lanpsy/PIIS2215-0366(15)00085-1.pdf

So much of their work seems to be about trying to create appealing stories for those who won't check the evidence.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    lunarainbows, Hutan, lycaena and 10 others like this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Technically the truth. This lot's entire body of research will stand as a textbook example of how scientists can sometimes beclown themselves. Right now they benefit from some inexplicable and undeserved respect as serious researchers. That won't last very long. The legacy will rest in the bad filing cabinet, somewhere in-between phrenologists and Andrew Wakefield.

11. Sly Saint

It was a lot more painful to listen to over and again. I was so tempted to just write blah blah blah,psychobabble, for most of it!

12. Esther12

Thank you so much for that. I find it painful transcribing just little paragraphs I want to quote, so going through the whole lecture will have been an amazing chore.

MSEsperanza and andypants like this.
  13. ME/CFS Skeptic

I thought her joke about spinal tab was actually quite funny.

Esther12 likes this.
  14. Sly Saint

ME/CFS Skeptic likes this.
  15. Esther12

It would have been funnier if the botched way the Chalder Fatigue Questionnaire was put together hadn't had such an important impact on CFS research!

Sean and EzzieD like this.
  16. large donner

large donner Guest

Are you aware that you can produce a transript by speaking it into the mic on lots of devices?

You would probably have to listen to the speaker if it was a video as the words may not be picked up often, then dictate into the post as you go on here.

You will have to add in the punctuation marks etc manually.

Esther12 likes this.
  17. Esther12

I once spent about 4 hours trying to make use of youtube's auto-subtitle feature to get a transcript, before giving up and just doing it by hand.

I'm sure that there must be technological ways of doing this, but I'm so bad at making use of it, and so long as I'm unwilling to pay for any software, it seems I'm best off typing myself. I don't have many of the latest gizmos.

18. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's interesting that she openly admits to working with this guy: http://gaynewsarchive.org/tag/isaac-marks/

He's notorious for his type of conversion therapy ('aversion therapy'), which involved drugs to induce nausea and causing suffering to patients.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  19. large donner

large donner Guest

That article is chilling.

Do you have evidence that she has worked with him and in what capacity.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  20. Sly Saint

I see that Prof Eysenck was also presenting
    see https://www.s4me.info/threads/perso...siting-a-scientific-scandal-2019-pelosi.8311/