1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Personality and fatal diseases: Revisiting a scientific scandal, 2019, Pelosi

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Thought some here might find this interesting.
    https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1359105318822045

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When Simon Wessely shoved a Hans Eysenck scandal under the rug

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From Coyne's blog:

https://jcoynester.wordpress.com/20...-shoved-a-hans-eysenck-scandal-under-the-rug/

No mention of Pelosi in the special edition: https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/personality-and-individual-differences/vol/103

Maybe this is that delayed paper, now in the Journal of Health Psychology?

Personality and Individual Differences did find room for Adam Perkins though:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886916307449

Perkins also sees parallels between the criticism of himself and Wessely: https://www.s4me.info/threads/“it-h...e-being-weaponized-article-in-quillette.4476/

Why do these people attract such 'severe' criticism?

Philipp, Hutan, JaneL and 12 others like this.
  4. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I'm pretty blown away by this article. The author seems very confident in his judgements about Eysenck, yet does not seem to realise that he is buying into a whole other set of BS right there! Serious questions have been raised about the evidence for personality factors having an influence on cancer survival rates. This stuff is what James Coyne cut his career on:

Positive psychology in cancer care: Bad science, exaggerated claims, and unproven medicine
    JC Coyne, H Tennen
    Annals of behavioral medicine 39 (1), 16-26

Meta-analysis of stress-related factors in cancer
    JC Coyne, AV Ranchor, SC Palmer
    Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology 7 (5), 296

Invited commentary: personality as a causal factor in cancer risk and mortality—time to retire a hypothesis?
    AV Ranchor, R Sanderman, JC Coyne
    American journal of epidemiology 172 (4), 386-388
    Maybe focusing on Eysenck's bad practices helps these folks divert the focus of attention from themselves?

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"This work truly does ‘poison the well’ of science (Smith, 2006)."

6. Esther12

Just to clarify, those excerpts were from Wessely's old piece about Eysenck, criticised on Coyne's blog, not the new Pelosi Eysenck article.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  7. Esther12

8. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There cn be no reason for not having an investigation...….now that he's dead.

bobbler, Hutan, MSEsperanza and 4 others like this.
  9. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lets hope we don't have to wait that long for our bete noire.

10. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

@Esther12, what an appalling load of

Ah, okay.

MEMarge, MSEsperanza, inox and 2 others like this.
  11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This reminds me of a documentary on treating cancer I saw in the late 1980's. It may have been the one on interferon that I mentioned in another thread.

There was a middle-aged woman in a hospital bed who had been diagnosed with cancer. In desperation, she was telling her husband that she had heard that her thought patterns could cause cancer. She was trying to convince her husband that maybe psychotherapy could help her. Her husband was patiently trying to explain to her that psychotherapy was not going to do any good at this point, as she had already developed cancer. I'm pretty sure that, by the end of the documentary, it was made plain that her doctors had been unable to save her.

This really stuck in my mind because it was so tragic. I was aware of the idea that thought patterns could cause cancer (for some reason I recall it being attributed to "negativity," instead of "passivity"), but I had no idea of how good (or should I say "how bad") the evidence for this was. Now, of course, the idea that this patient was led to believe that her own thoughts were in some way responsible for her terminal cancer just makes me angry.

bobbler, MEMarge, WillowJ and 15 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, JaneL, MSEsperanza and 8 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

14. Esther12

That Pelosi review was utterly appalling.

15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

16. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

rvallee and MSEsperanza like this.
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've just been catching up on reading this thread and some of the articles linked. I'm finding it hard to get my head around who said what and who was right or wrong. Here's my summary - please correct me if I've got in a muddle.

1. Ronald Grossarth-Maticek did some 'research' which produced data suggesting he could, with astonishingly high levels of accuracy:
    a) predict on the basis of personality tests who would get cancer and who would get heart disease and who would get neither.
    b) prevent cancer with therapy given to healthy people he'd predicted would get cancer.

2. Eysenck did not carry out any of this research himself, but accepted the astonishing data, added his name to it and helped RG-M publish it, giving it the apparent seal of approval. It was published in journals set up by Eysenck.

3. There are ties with the tobacco industry linked to this research, with the aim of diverting attention from tobacco itself being the cause of many cancers and heart disease.

4. Pelosi wrote at the time about the problems with the research and tried to get it investigated.

5. Wessely wrote a newpaper article defending Eysenck and pointing to research by others relating 'fighting spirit' to cancer recovery.

6. Coyne wrote a blog supporting Pelosi's critique of Eysenck and RG-M and pointing out that the 'fighting spirit' researchers had done a larger study showing their original study was wrong, and in fact there is no evidence of personality or positive thinking affecting cancer outcome.

7. Pelosi has raised the subject again with a new article in the JHP with an editorial by Marks.

8. And a final twist - Pelosi, apparently the good guy in this case, is now the bad guy according to a Coyne tweet, in supporting PACE and criticising patient-activist authors.

This series of events spreads over nearly 30 years.

My head hurts!

18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

That about sums it up I think Trish. :)

Just to clarify this bit for everyone, Coyne is claiming that Pelosi is Reviewer 2 (I think it was), the author of the incredibly childish and unprofessional peer review for the BMJ of the Wilshire et al reanalysis of the PACE trial data.

19. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great summary Trish! Though I think it's a little soft on Eysenck. I think he didn't just add his name to the research but actively promoted it. And the tobacco money seems to be linked directly to him instead of the research. Marks for example writes:

"To his eternal shame, the attempts by Hans Eysenck to discredit the wellestablished causal links between tobacco smoking and cancer while in receipt of large sums from the tobacco industry is one of the most shameful deceits committed by any scientist in the 20th century."​

20. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

RGM is still plying his trade:

From 1990 to 2006, Grossarth-Maticek was Director of the Institute for Preventive Medicine, Political, Economic and Health Psychology in Heidelberg. He then took over the management of the Heidelberg Center for Multidisciplinary Research (ZMF). Since 2007, he has also been Director of the Intergovernmental Program for Multidisciplinary Studies of the European Center for Peace and Development (ECPD), part of the United Nations Peace Organization in Costa Rica.

The Heidelberg Center for Multidisciplinary Research (ZMF) was founded in 2004. Several institutes of various universities, clinical and research institutions cooperate with the ZMF. The aim of the center is to carry out multidisciplinary analyzes and to develop preventive intervention strategies, taking into account different aspects of life that are closely interlinked (eg family history, personality, professional influences, physical and organic factors, lifestyle, religiosity, social issues, Integration).

The results of the monodisciplinary sciences are creatively and innovatively integrated in a multidisciplinary overall concept.

Philipp, Hutan, MEMarge and 9 others like this.