1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trisha Greenhalgh on ME/CFS and Long Covid

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Helene, Jan 13, 2021.

1. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, very disapointing! Very concerning to be providing a platform for this harmful information. We're being terribly let down. What gives?

brf, sebaaa, cfsandmore and 7 others like this.
  2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    sebaaa, cfsandmore, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  3. DokaGirl

Is history going to repeat itself, and assume psychological causes for LC? I've been very occupied with some other of life's trials, and haven't noted if there are studies doing extensive biomedical testing, including MRIs for LC. Or are those with LC going to go through the torture pwME have?

sebaaa, cfsandmore, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Canada isn't ready to deal with influx of those disabled from COVID: advocates.

sebaaa, cfsandmore, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Right there with Sharpe tweeting about accepting when you make mistakes. I don't know if it's truly a complete inability for self-reflection or what?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1352205705051320321

No, obviously the solution is to block every pwME raising that point. Now that is good public health communication!

Ariel, hinterland, Joh and 24 others like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We've known about her views for a long time.

‘Health for me’: a sociocultural analysis of healthism in the middle classes (2004)
    Trisha Greenhalgh, Simon Wessely
    https://academic.oup.com/bmb/article/69/1/197/523356

(the article tries to suggest that "articulate, health-aware and information-rich middle-class" people aren't as ill as they say and often consult medical practitioners without good reason).

Seems not much has changed.

Ariel, hinterland, Joh and 27 others like this.
  7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That so, so clever title tells you all you need to know. Most people would think of that, give themselves a pat on the back, then think why they could not possibly use it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Shinygleamy, ukxmrv, Woolie and 5 others like this.
  8. brf

brf Established Member (Voting Rights)

I'd like to know how this came about and some assurance it won't be happening again in the future.

A number of people spoke out with concerns, both publicly and privately, when the webinar notice was first posted, as it was originally billed as a webinar on Long Covid, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and more. (image below) I wasn't provided with any satisfactory answer. I'm not sure anyone was, but later images promoting the event through the CIHR had the word "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis" removed. (image below) I can only assume ME was taken off the table due to all the concerns raised, but, sadly, without communicating this directly to the people who raised the concerns.

I tuned in briefly but wasn't at all sure what I was tuning in to.

Trish Greenhalgh Jan 2021.jpg Trish Greenhalgh 2 Jan 2021.jpg

Joh, Mij, Robert 1973 and 14 others like this.
  9. DokaGirl

@brf Thank you very much for addressing this with CIHR!

You may recall a similar thing happened at NIH. Following NIH finally announcing it recognized ME as serious, and a promise of increased research funding, they invited a speaker who has promoted misinformation about ME for a long time.

These institutional inconsistencies are infuriating, puzzling, and very frustrating.

Thank you to all who button-holed both CIHR and NIH on these lapses.

Shinygleamy, Hutan, ukxmrv and 14 others like this.
  10. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would seem institutions can't wrap their heads around when eminence speaks it's not de facto evidence.

I guess they just think certain names will draw a bigger virtual crowd when what's needed is someone grounded in reality and possessed of common sense who communicates clearly.

11. DokaGirl

Yes, @Snowdrop, eminence at all costs it seems. Collegial relationships above the truth, and respect for human rights. Multimillion person communities brushed aside for the sake of getting along with colleagues who are misinformed. The institutional dismissals after countless person hours invested at high cost is beyond disheartening.

Woolie, Sean, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  12. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope and suspect that this (if true) has been coming from anti-lockdown idiots but it is unfortunate that she doesn’t specify, having very publicly, and in my view falsely, accused Peter (not Denton) White of malicious representation of her views on ME/CFS and blocked him:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1353274440025583616

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Chezboo, Joh, JoanneS and 10 others like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

She doesn't say anyone has actually sent her death threats.

Hutan, Michelle, tmrw and 5 others like this.
  14. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Probably not sensible to discuss this since we'll never know the true situation. Of course I hope no one has sent anyone death threats.

16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed, I just wanted to ensure balance, but you are right we should leave it there.

DokaGirl, Kitty and Trish like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Just discovered that both the forum Twitter account and my, very rarely used, personal Twitter account, have been blocked by Greenhalgh. So, as has been said by others, it's obviously "Listen to the patients, but only the right type of patients".

Mithriel, DokaGirl, Michelle and 19 others like this.
  18. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

My first thought this is that she (as an Oxford Don) thinks patients are the great unwashed and how dare they comment on the science! But I wonder if there is just a certain amount of embarassment in that things she says about ME clearly don't stand up to scrutiny - hence an effort to avoid challenge. But I guess we will never really know what motivates her to push particular views even in contradiction to standards of evidence that she claims to represent.

I was concerned about a tweet where she said something about death threats being reported. This seems intended to feed into a narative of ME patients being dangerous and violent - and aimed at a group of patients. Which I think is appauling.

Joh, Ariel, Mithriel and 12 others like this.
  19. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2021
    DokaGirl, Chezboo, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  20. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did she really block individual accounts or did she just apply a function that enables only comments by people followed by the owner of the account / people mentioned in a Tweet?

DokaGirl and Barry like this.