Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, certainly give a well-reasoned response @Trish. I was talking more in the long term view.
    The BMJ is a lost cause but it is still a platform for comment that might get read.

Barry, Anna H, Oni and 20 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It fits the manuscript to the recovery stories at Recovery Norge. Similar wording, argumentation, with kicks towards ME patients fighting for biomedical research and by saying stories from recovered are more important to listen to.

The planned study on LP in Norway has received a lot of criticism, what a great story for them and such great timing.. His story has already been shared at Recovery Norge's facebook page and on twitter by research director at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health.

sea, Anna H, sebaaa and 18 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same difference. The packaging doesn't change much about the content. But the phrasing is definitely familiarly odd and unnatural, a mantra to repeat more than a real sentiment.

sebaaa, EzzieD, MSEsperanza and 4 others like this.
  4. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, from the facts in the blog it is 99 perc sure he has been in touch with Live Landmark. Recovery Norway already had a FB-post ready for the story

sea, sebaaa, ukxmrv and 10 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or his initial months of failure doing the exact same thing without ever having considered any of the ME stuff.

Like you said, let's all ignore it, this is far larger than the odd episode.

sebaaa, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  6. Kalliope

And I have a feeling who this Norwegian PhD candidate might be..

ukxmrv, Trish, Hoopoe and 2 others like this.
  7. Marky

It is not even subtle, it is straight up gaslighting

sea, Anna H, Nellie and 16 others like this.
  8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I imagine Charles Shepherd and others are feeling as though they have helped someone across the road, only to have the person turn around and throw them under the oncoming bus.

I don't think we even need to resort to 'he didn't have what I have' (as in PVFS and ME/CFS).

I meet Paul Garner's anecdote with mine. I and my two children became sick after a virus, one was able to recover over two years, with no special treatment. Seven years on, my son and I have not. As lovely as my daughter is, it is not possible to attribute her recovery (versus the failure of my son and I to) to some superior determination or outlook on life or particular approach to rest and exercise. It just happened, with time.

If you look at the charts for the Dubbo studies, most people recover over time. The odds were always in Paul Garner's favour - he just needed to wait it out.

9. Marky

Brilliantly put. Im too upset to produce such good quotes

bobbler, Anna H, Nellie and 17 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Garner would very likely have been put in touch with Recovery Norge by Flottorp or one of the others at the Norwegian Health Institute (where Larun is?).

bobbler, sebaaa, ukxmrv and 9 others like this.
  11. Marky

I dont think we can ignore it sadly because desperate carers and patients will try this now because of him. Got to try and save a few souls from potential permanent worsenings

Wits_End, sebaaa, MeSci and 12 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

I suspect he will not be flavour of the moth with a lot of others with Long Covid.
    It could all get quite prickly.

Anna H, sebaaa, Mij and 23 others like this.
  13. Marky

I think it might divide the long covid community, as it seems a bit split in two with a hopeful part and the other one more realistic in terms of the prognosis.

sebaaa, ukxmrv, EzzieD and 11 others like this.
  14. Kalliope

If I remember correct Henrik Vogt tweetet recovery stories to Garner. And yes, Larun is at the Norwegian Institute at Public Health.

sebaaa, EzzieD, Sly Saint and 10 others like this.
  15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, but I think that any inaccurate or exaggerated criticism is likely to be unhelpful here.

It's easy to imagine someone looking to discredit advocates by selecting heated responses to this tale for a follow-up piece, and I'm sure that some patients will be happy to oblige.

sebaaa, MEMarge, Skycloud and 6 others like this.
  16. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Live Landmark is a doctoral candidate and the trial is part of her dissertation research, as I understand it.

sebaaa, ukxmrv, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  17. Marky

Im happy to oblige, cause this gaslighting is not an acceptable (im not talking about personal insults).

sebaaa, ukxmrv, NelliePledge and 3 others like this.
  18. Marky

Correct

MeSci, Kitty and Trish like this.
  19. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We've already seen how heated comments from patients on social media have helped the PACE trial researchers get away with unacceptable behaviour. To me, that seems something to try to avoid repeating.

Wits_End, sebaaa, Sly Saint and 6 others like this.
  20. Marky

How has it helped them exactly? Im not gonna pretend im not angry just so they wont fabricate a false death threat claim. I do a shit load of advocacy, i reserve my right to have a heated tone without personal insults.

bobbler, Mithriel, Anna H and 14 others like this.