1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Towards an institute for patient-led research - Trish Greenhalgh, BMJ blog November 12, 2019

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Sly Saint, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Let me rephrase this bit:
    There! Makes just as much sense.

Of course there are patients strongly biased towards a favourite hypothesis. The same applies to scientists.

There are also patients who do their very best to be as unbiased as humanly possible. The same applies to scientists.

It's the latter patients and scientists we need to get to work together for best results (while the patients and scientists in the first category should be sentenced to a lengthy time-out).

Joh, Michelle, Snow Leopard and 12 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and chrisb like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why would an academic tweet this torrent of self-congratulatory drivel all the time?
    Maybe that is why Oxford is flooded.

4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Validation, validation, validation.
    Seems to be the academic equivalent of estate agent's location location, location...

5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is strange that she seeks to distinguish ME from all other conditions without proffering any analysis, or suggesting any reason for the "negative tension". There are people who like to start a fight and walk away, leaving others to get on with it.

I suppose that word "equipoise" gives the game away. We have heard it before.

Joh, Sly Saint, Sean and 4 others like this.
  6. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She's mates with Wessley. Worked together at Queen Mary?? Check this awful article out https://academic.oup.com/bmb/article/69/1/197/523356

Joh, Michelle, Snow Leopard and 11 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Update: my comment was censored.

Let's unpack this. On an article promoting a new model of increased patient engagement, misleadingly citing as example of failed patient engagement a maligned disease whose failure to achieve any progress in 3 decades rests mainly on having failed to engage with patients at all, a comment by a patient mentioning that this failure is precisely refusing to engage was censored.

Bravo. That is right up there with conferences on patient engagement where no patients are present. Which is a common thing.

I personally applaud this mobius strip of multidimensional mediocrity, it truly transcends into a perfect ideal of failure. Could not have made a better case for failure to engage with a patient community. It would make sublime satire if it weren't real and with tragic consequences.

Edit: I can actually check in Disqus the status of my comment and it says "pending" so maybe it will be approved later on. Still, 24h+. I'm pretty sure I was polite and straight enough.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Joh, Michelle, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  8. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Joh, Michelle, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  9. Caroline Struthers

I will try and remember to do this, but am on leave today. Please someone else go ahead and break the news!

Barry and Sly Saint like this.
  10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and rvallee like this.
  11. Lucibee

I've posted something enticing on Twitter...

12. rvallee

Update: still "pending". No other comments have been either made or approved.

Not sure why it should take this long. Did I make people reflect on things? *gasp* Probably not...

Caroline Struthers and Binkie4 like this.
  13. Lucibee

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    MEMarge likes this.
  14. rvallee

Rings a bell but I think it was for an "official" response, not the Disqus comments below? I saw no other way to make a comment or response so maybe it's in a different part of the platform since this was an opinion piece, not a peer-reviewed paper.

Amw66 likes this.
  15. Caroline Struthers

I had to take out all mention of PACE and the Cochrane Exercise review to get my rapid response to the Risk of Bias tool paper published.
    32, member: 682"]Haven't we had this problem with BMJ Blogs before...?[/QUOTE]

Joh and TiredSam like this.
  16. Lucibee

I've had another look - and I have a suspicion that they censor all comments on their blogs (and their FB page seems suspiciously free of comment too). Rapid responses are another thing entirely.

However, there's nothing to stop anyone linking a comment below their Twitter post...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1195673019559153665

Michelle, Snow Leopard and rvallee like this.
  17. rvallee

They are clearly not interested so I'll just let my comment on this thread stand as my contribution and leave them to their bubble and fantasies about patient-engagement-without-any-actual-patients. The one I left is a bit too long for twitter anyway.

It's still pending so I guess that's one way of not censoring while still censoring. The irony of this being an article on patient engagement is impressive.

EzzieD, Andy, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  18. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have not looked at the comments thread but Disqus can do strange things; when the Virology Blog used Disqus it would sometimes swallow longer comments and comments with links, and once it had swallowed one of your comments it then was more predisposed to treat subsequent comments by the same person as spam. This was a factor in the Virology Blog switching to a different comments facility.

I don’t usually now bother to comment on anything using Disqus, and always keep a copy if I do. It is much less likely to happen if the administrators designate you as a trusted person with Disqus, so it can be that associates of the admins ‘accidentally’ end up with privileged access to commenting.

This does not guarantee the missing comments were not deliberately blocked, but it make be worth emailing the administrators a screen shot of the ‘pending’ comments, before deciding if this is the case or not.

19. rvallee

In better health I would bother but seeing as there are no other comments I think it's just that no one is assigned to it and it was kind of forgotten that this commenting system is even there. BMJ is huge and comments from the public are probably not on anyone's radar.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  20. Caroline Struthers

A couple of comments have now appeared....maybe try again??

EzzieD, Amw66, Trish and 2 others like this.