1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Chronic Elephant blog by hellytheelephant

Discussion in 'Relationships and coping' started by hellytheelephant, Feb 4, 2018.

1. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2022
  2. Frogger

Frogger Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I started the year by planning all manner of self improvement. So far so good. On Valentines day I have a date with my dentist...

...In his chair under a light so bright you gotta wear shades.

3. hellytheelephant

Good on you @Frogger - That is showing yourself some self love! I keep having to cancel my check up as not well enough....Since the hygienist told me that she regularly sees ME patients with mouths full of decay, I am making it a priority!

4. hellytheelephant

5. Frogger

Frogger Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If it isn't about just not being able to get out of bed, it is about not having money.

In California, if you are on MediCal, you can now get so many more dental services than ever before and they are all absolutely free.

6. hellytheelephant

7. hellytheelephant

8. hellytheelephant

Tia, Mattie, Skycloud and 2 others like this.
  9. hellytheelephant

10. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@hellytheelephant
    :rofl:
    Sounds hairy.

11. hellytheelephant

12. hellytheelephant

13. Squeezy

Squeezy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Welcome back @hellytheelephant :hug:

I'm delighted to discover your excellent blog.

I'm so sorry your health has been so awful this summer. Living with chronic illnesses is a never ending struggle, and a lonely one. You've made me feel so much less alone today, just when I really, really needed it. :hug:

14. Squeezy

This was me, till 4am last night:

"New Year's Day: I cracked. I had the mother and father of all crying jags of self pity. There was sobbing, breathlessness and hair stuck on my face from the floods of saline. It was like a dam bursting: one minute I was fine, then my stoical resources washed away in a nano second. Small animals ran for cover, and I wondered if we were going to need sandbags."

"The plucky Dunkirk spirit has been alive and well and in a bed in Dorset, UK. Having said that: Christopher Nolan will not be making a film of my last weeks anytime soon."

https://thechronicelephant.blogspot.com/2018/01/hippy-pants.html

Yes. :cry::cry::cry:

I can't express just how much this helps. Today. Exactly today. From my lonely bed in Manchester, overwhelmingly frustrated, sad, defeated, scared, isolated, envious, angry...

"Sometimes we put all our energies into keeping relentlessly positive, when what we need is to have a 'hang on a minute...' moment, and to admit we feel rubbish."

15. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gentle :hug: to both of you.

Sometimes you need a friend to just sit with you and listen. Keep you company as you plumb the depths rather than beating you about the head with rope ladders made out of clichés. Perhaps, sometimes people need try to push positivity on others to make themselves feel better, less uncomfortable. So it easy to find yourself acting all positive to save their feelings.

One of the things I love about this place - we can discuss the reality without putting a gloss on it. You might be typing in isolation but others will be out there nodding quietly.

:hug: to everyone feeling low today.

16. hellytheelephant

I am so sorry your having a rotten time@Squeezy. Thank you for your comments, which have definitely brightened up my day,much appreciated!

I hope tonight is a better one. Helly
    Hello

17. Squeezy

@Invisible Woman - so beautifully expressed.
    I especially love:
    Exactly how it feels. Exactly.

@hellytheelephant I nodded quietly, laughed, and cried some more at things you've written. And I picked up a piece of charcoal and drew for the first time in years.

18. hellytheelephant

That is brilliant news@Squeezy! How did it feel to draw again?

I am also in bed and drawing today- it all looks not the best work, but that is never the point, without drawing I would be going even more crazy than I am. had 20 years of no drawing or painting, so I know how hard it can be to start doing it again.

19. Squeezy

It felt lovely :) I'm no great artist, and it hurts me to concentrate, so no drawing from life for me. I just picked up a charcoal pencil my son has and started drawing a spiral. I just let my hand do what it pleased. Shading and shaping, enjoying the sensation.

I think and worry too much. This is the opposite. No words, just drifting. You're right, @hellytheelephant. It's the doing of the art that's important, not the finished product.

Maybe I'll splodge some colours on a page tomorrow. See what appears. It's a lovely thought to go to sleep with.

20. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Those rub on transfers are new to me. And I was around in the 70s. :rolleyes:

The closest I come to being an artist is adult coloring books. I colored a page this week-end and enjoyed it.