1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalopathy are not determined by activity pacing when measured by the chronic pain coping inventory.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Physiotherapy. 2018 Mar;104(1):129-135. doi: 10.1016/j.physio.2017.07.005. Epub 2017 Aug 4.
    Symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalopathy are not determined by activity pacing when measured by the chronic pain coping inventory.
    Thompson DP1, Antcliff D2, Woby SR3.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28843450

2. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well if the used the Chalder fatigue scorecard this is more likely a measure of how sh*t that scale is?

I wonder when anyone is going to look at a wider range of symptoms (cognitive, inflammation, muscle weakness etc etc) and measure these over a longer period of time (6 months) against actual heart rate activity. It’s about time they ditched all these stupid “fatigue” scales.

MEMarge, EzzieD, TiredSam and 11 others like this.
  3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would bet they did not wait for 24 hrs before filling in their subjective forms.

4. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

LIKE! LIKE! LIKE! LIKE! LIKE! LIKE! LIKE! LIKE! LIKE! LIKE! LIKE! LIKE!

alktipping and MEMarge like this.
  5. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The pain scale used was from a study of "chronic musculoskeletal pain intensity measured on a numerical rating scale" extended to chronic pain populations in general.

But ME/CFS is not always a pain disorder, and patients may not have chronic pain. Some have only episodic headaches. Some have no pain at all.

Even CCC doesn't require chronic body pain (headaches count as pain). SEID doesn't require any pain at all for diagnosis.

I'm not convinced that classifying ME/CFS exclusively as a "widespread pain disorder" is valid.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018