1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Springtime sleepiness - pollen or coincidence?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by andypants, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Roll on 21st June!

JaneL and andypants like this.
  2. FunkeXMix

FunkeXMix New Member

I am having a similar issue. It began last year 2018 (i'm 37 years old, no known allergies before 2018) end of April, when the pollen season starts in Sweden.

One day in April I started feeling extremely exhausted after a walk outside, it was a very windy day. If I remember correctly it passed after about 3 days. Then about 5 days later I got muscle aches and felt really tired. I thought I had a virus, and spent many days in bed. The muscle pain passed, but the exhaustion did not.

My symptoms:
    * Bouts of extreme tiredness where I can't even sit. Gotta go to bed. Getting better during periods of the day. Drinking alot of coffe kept me somewhat functional during the periods where I at least had energy to sit.
    * An slowly escalating tingling feeling in my fingers. Some would go numb during sleep. Later as it got worse it spread to my lower legs which prevented sleep for 2 nights.
    (none of that typical allergy stuff, runny nose, irritated eyes etc...)

Did all kind of blood tests. Heart and lung exams. No issues. So the symptoms were a mystery. Lived with that shit for 3 months, was out of order most of the time. Since my symptoms had no relation with allergies the detective work to try to find out the issue didn't go in that direction. It was thanks to my dad that mentioned it might be pollen allergy that I started testing new things (Dr claimed it could not be). I tried staying inside for a couple of days. Yup, that helped. The tingling and numbing gradually lessened with every day. By the third day I was fine.

Sometime in August the problem went away, I could spend time out without issues, which also coincided with heavy rain fall for a couple of days prior. Sweden had unusually strong draughts last year and was not prepared for the amount of forrest fires it caused. So makes sense, pollen didn't wash away I guess.

Anyway. I have been fine from August 2018..until now. About 5 days ago tingling and numbing is increasing, extreme tiredness and muscle exhaustion as last year go with it.

I am trying Antihistamin Pills this time, maybe it can help. Otherwise I suppose the only thing I can do is stay inside as much as I can. Not great...

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Squeezy and andypants like this.