1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-framing GET as pacing, or vice-versa

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by JaimeS, May 9, 2018.

1. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it would be a good idea. I’ve bern suggesting something similar on another thread.

Tagging @Graham who has an opinion I believe

If it’s a goer I’m happy to do some leaflet screening or if you want to give me a section to prescreen/edit etc to help (I will need to fit it around work though).

I would also like to rewrite the NHS web site text

Probably need its own thread.

alktipping, Mij, JaimeS and 10 others like this.
  2. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

GREAT idea!

Also... The ten pence. The posset of gruel. The apple casting us out of paradisical clinics... not sure whether to :arghh: or :laugh::rofl:

Ditto on all counts, if you're all right with allowing some rough colonial to have a gander.

The cynic in me says that they pretty much don't care about knowledge based in experience. It is less authentic and credible than whatever has been written down in the textbook they learned from fifteen years back.

All the same... once more into the breach! :nerd:

3. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Apple juice is a laxative.

What that is symbolic of is another matter. :jawdrop:

JaimeS, Invisible Woman and Woolie like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is one point that is important about GET that I don't see mentioned.

In 1990 I was advised to do more exercise, but I had a three year old so wasn't able to do more (already fit to drop!) When he started nursery, the bus didn't go right to it so I had a hill to climb. At first I was breathless part of the way up, but after a few months I was able to get to the top no bother. I thought I was cured!!!

Then one day I was coming home and my legs just stopped working. My son climbed into our garden so he was safe but it took me about half an hour to get in the door dragging myself along the railings. I have needed a wheelchair since.

I had increased my fitness, but I had obviously been using my breathlessness as a cue for when to stop. Though that had got better my underlying disease, autoimmune or neurological, whatever, had carried on and I was damaging myself without realising it.

It took about 3 months for the damage to be done - I had been fit before as I did a lot of walking even though I had lots of other ME symptoms, like the way my eyelids would spasm shut so I had to collect my other kids from school while only able to see from a slit - so some of these "success stories" may be nothing of the sort.

People who do well with GET may be masking the illness so it is worsening without their knowledge but the harm will only be seen after the trial is finished or they have been discharged from the clinic.

Hutan, JaimeS, Snow Leopard and 15 others like this.