1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-framing GET as pacing, or vice-versa

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by JaimeS, May 9, 2018.

1. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Its been a long time since I trained. I would imagine that if you complied with the GET programme, gradually increasing the duration of a low intensity cardiovascular activity until you reach the agreed goal (was it half an hour?), then yes it should show on a fitness test. Even if you didn't have any rest days.

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is exactly what I am saying. Improving fitness requires an increase in intensity - which is not required by the regime and thus many patients will avoid it.

Yes, the GET but not really GET study was conducted in Perth by Karen Wallman (and treated the same as the other GET trials in the Cochrane review....)

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Hutan, alktipping, Woolie and 4 others like this.
  3. large donner

large donner Guest

Where is the evidence that PWME dont already know their equilibrium point anyway to the extent that other people who don't have the condition can proclaim to have developed a therapy to teach them how to meet it?

Why would anyone with limited capacity to exert themselves exercise anyway when they need the exertion for basic activities of daily living. Is it just a nice thought experiment for therapists to do exercise tests void of including and measuring the impact on ADL.

Now that I am not working I need to stagger around the house getting to the toilet, getting food, do some family stuff, go food shopping etc just to survive.

Should I get a GET therapist and help them to fulfill their intellectual masturbation exercise who can walk me up and down a corridor with an acotometer week by week adding on four steps or taking off two, for what bloody purpose? Will it get my food shopping done and get me fed bathed and clothed or am I supposed to give those things up so I can "exercise".

Oh look here's an example of this kind of therapist below, almost a blue cardigan too!!.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv7qh_XL_yM

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

hi all if you want to know what NHS clinics are currently doing and how pacing is getting appropriated into a bunch of BPS stuff here is a link to a guide published by one of the clinics in the east of England. This is basically an enhanced version of the manual I was given when I attended a different clinic's CFS/ME management programme 8 week group session - each week we covered a different topic

it is quite a lot of pages although because its designed to be printed out a lot of those can be scrolled through but you can see what it says about activity management/pacing - including the graph about activity levels. Also a section on negative thoughts and behaviours. It may not be full on PACE but as I said before it is PACE-light

https://www.ecch.org/media/16119/me-ot-pack-sept-2017.doc

so obviously there is a lot of stuff in here that is going to be making people angry be warned

5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'Mild' here. And yet it moves.

8. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read one of these carefully all the way through and got the absolute chills. I probably had an especially heinous one, but I could hardly believe my eyes; I felt like I was in a 1984-esque dystopia. The phrase 'trigger warning' applies.

9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the day may come when this type if evidence proves useful.

JaimeS, Mij, adambeyoncelowe and 5 others like this.
  10. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@NelliePledge thanks for that link it's useful....

In the managing stress section

Unless of course we're saying no to CBT or that we need to stop rather than pushing on with your shitty advice

Unless its the schedule of GET you've set for us

Except of course for the fact that we at the clinic are much better qualified to know your limits than you... so you do need to feel guilty when you rest when we've said you should be exercising, because thats lazy/avoidant/phobic... but not when you think you should be doing things you need to give yourself permission to stop.

So it's all about 'be gentle with yourself, know your limits & give yourself permission to stop'... but only under our watchful eye.... dont think for yourself, take our view of reality and give yourself permission to stop when we say you should. We'll tell you when you've hit your limit.

I wonder if they are consciously aware that this kind of making it impossible to 'get it right', - no matter what you do, you will be doing it wrong because they are the arbiters & their opinion is basically whichever thing you're doing it will be the wrong thing, the wrong way around....
    this is precisely, precisely how domestic abusers behave. It's a classic controller/abuser MO.

Advice for sleep
    They really do think we are utter imbeciles! I mean really, if i cant sleep because my neck's at the wrong angle... i'd never think to maybe use an extra pillow... because i really am that stupid! My 5yr old niece knows you cant sleep if you're not comfy.

And in the activity mgmnt section educating people to think about & write down all the details of the goal 'i want to visit a friend'.... so you need to 'think about how you're going to get there'.... I mean really? do you??!!! I'd never have known that..... of course if I wanted to go somewhere, without the help of this guide it would never occur to me to think about how i was going to get there! I mean i just expect to click my heels & miraculously transport like William ruddy Shatner!

FGS

I dont condone verbal abuse or violence of any description, but i really do wonder that ill people, in a lot of pain, do not simply lose their rags and explode. No wonder patients have gotten a rep for being hostile. I wouldnt patronise my 8yr old nephew like that, even he could tell you that in order to get somewhere you have to consider the best way to get there.

11. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And sadly , if your 8 year old nephew was affected , it would be a different set of guidance that would apply..

12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

ok folks while we're doing this topic we might as well do it comprehensively. so looking at the NHS manual I posted above there was a mention of the AFME booklet on pacing so I decided to revisit it because the AFME website was one of the first resources I had around the time I was first diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago.

it was published in 2013 and I discover that it was written by people from NHS clinic and the AFME medical adviser Alistair Millar :wtf:

it is toned down somewhat and doesnt strongly emphasise increasing activity in a graded way - increasing as able is the phrase used

when you actually look at the whole thing there's barely any difference from the NHS manual - I'll call it PACE -sugarfree

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/uploads/pdfs/pacing-for-people-with-me-booklet.pdf

I know quite a few folks have blogged about pacing and there are a lot of patient generated resources out there

Im wondering if theres any merit in working on a replacement PACE-less guide to directly supercede the NHS document which can be presented to NICE guideline development committee as genuinely based on patient experience. It could be quite hard to ignore and if they did recommend NHS adopt it it would be a good step in moving to sensible non-harmful non patronising sessions. in my job I would have been able to turn this round pretty quickly by a combination of editing whats there and cutting out and replacing the bad stuff. We all know it is not rocket science. If I pace it :rofl::rofl::rofl: as in the dictionary definition of pacing yourself - doing a couple of pages a day i could have an initial version in a couple of months. Obviously I would do a better job on writing standards than when Im just writing informal posts like this:whistle:. I dont want to do that if others don't see the point or if people feel it is useful but should be a group effort.

its just an idea I wouldnt choose to do this but it is something I can do a decent job on if it is potentially worth doing - any thoughts?

OverTheHills, Hutan, JaimeS and 9 others like this.
  13. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nellie pledge it might be worth googling other m e charities there could already be a good information pamphlet on proper pacing possibly with heart rate monitoring already published . it would save you from the constant anger at their ridiculous jobsworth attitudes to people with complex illnesses ,

14. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

If it isn't for CFS or ME patients, then why did PACE use fitness tests? Or any objective tests of activity capacity?

Almost the only thing I agree with Wessely and Chalder about is that increasing activity capacity must be the ultimate goal of treatment. And that is objectively measurable in a number of ways.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2107860

15. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Well yes, my thoughts exactly. But @Snow Leopard thinks that people could significantly increase their activity capacity without it showing up as improvement on a fitness test, because there were insufficient increases in exercise intensity (the focus was on exercise duration).

alktipping, Sean and Inara like this.
  16. LightHurtsME

LightHurtsME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A lot of patronising nonsense. I went to a similar clinic and one of the most ridiculous 'suggestions' was to give yourself a small reward for job well done when achieving a goal. Examples of rewards included "an apple", "fruit juice" or "put 10 pence in a jar".

Who "rewards" themselves with 10 pence these days??? It is very hard to take anything they say seriously.

Hutan, alktipping, Skycloud and 9 others like this.
  17. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

A f***ing apple! What are we, medieval peasants?

"Oh what a delightful indulgence this apple is, and such a change from my regular diet of posset and gruel!"

Hutan, alktipping, Skycloud and 11 others like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Looxury.

Hutan, alktipping, Skycloud and 8 others like this.
  19. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

When you confuse psychology with dog training...

lycaena, Hutan, Diwi9 and 18 others like this.
  20. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't there something wrong about the symbolism of the apple? Once people have eaten of the tree of knowledge, should they not be cast out of the paradise which is their CFS clinic?

Hutan, alktipping, JaimeS and 6 others like this.