1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Aaarh, the RSM.

This was the line up of presenters at their April 2008 CFS Conference, archived on one of my old sites, at which Dr Alistair Miller was also a presenter:

https://readmeukevents.wordpress.com/2008/03/23/rsm-cfs-conference-programme/

And an extract from some correspondence with Dr Miller:

https://readmeukevents.wordpress.co...r-alastair-miller-speaker-rsm-cfs-conference/

"...There is no doubt in real life clinical practice that there are many patients who have serious symptoms of CFS/ME with absolutely no suggestion of any psychopathology; there are also large numbers of patients who have severe psychological problems and there are many in whom psychological and physical problems are inextricably intertwined. . .I hope folk from the ME/CFS patient/carer/”activist” community will view this conference with an open mind and a forum where genuine debate about this perplexing condition will take place so that we can all work together to overcome the effects of this devastating illness."

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  2. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

David Tuller wrote last year to Chew Graham:

https://www.virology.ws/2019/01/28/trial-by-error-my-letter-to-professor-chew-graham-about-metric//

3. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Tom Kindlon

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But. You do nothing about the current patients. Literally. In fact you refuse and reject the premise that there is anything to do. The RCGP has been abused as a weapon against the ME community, largely thanks to the rotten influence of Gerada and Wessely. Yet it would be 'dreadful' if a small fraction were added to it? So what does that even mean?

JoanneS, Mithriel, Michelle and 11 others like this.
  6. rvallee

Study sheds light on coronavirus ‘long-haulers,’ but experts still lack clear picture

https://globalnews.ca/news/7335744/coronavirus-long-hauler-study/

Generic coverage, not very informed. Canada has been doing especially poorly in terms of reporting, always presented as BRAND NEW!. That ICanCME collaboration is not doing a damn thing. Thanks for nothing, I guess. It was worth a try but what's the point of "recognizing" a disease if you don't even recognize it when it happens?

Although at least there is this rational perspective on the very relevant issue of systemic dismissal of chronic symptoms:

7. rvallee

8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The article mentions developing an autoimmune response, this is what I've been hearing a lot about from infectious experts on tv in the last few months in Canada.

9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Dolphin

11. Tom Kindlon

12. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just watched this morning's broadcast by the UK's Chief Medical and Scientific advisors. No mention of ongoing problems after Covid.

In one sense, not surprising: we don't even have a reliable prevalence rate yet, let alone know whether most people will eventually recover, and anyway such briefings shouldn't consist of an information overload.

In another sense, it is: there were clear warnings about the grim consequences of the disease, and even if it does turn out to resolve within a year, this is clearly one of them. It's long enough to lose a job, a home, or get into severe and long-lasting financial difficulties.

13. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Especially with medical staff being in the risk group of catching it. I don't think many hospitals can afford their doctors and nurses being absent for weeks or months. During a pandemic.

14. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The question is, is this a deliberate strategy, or tactic, because they think not mentioning it will avoid psychogenic ailments, do they not consider long term effects important ,or has this simply not registered with them?

15. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, is it incompetence, or corruption?

If Long Covid is not acknowledged, those patients will have challenges receiving disability from govt or corporate insurers.

16. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ed Yong in the Atlantic today. The article is mostly about cardiological issues concerning Covid-19, but ends with:

The heightened focus on COVID-19 allows hype and sensationalism to flourish, but also shines a spotlight on phenomena that have long been consigned to the shadows. For example, many of the lingering symptoms that long-haulers are facing are similar to known chronic conditions such as dysautonomia and myalgic encephalomyelitis, which can be triggered by other viral infections. These illnesses have been dismissed and trivialized for decades. Few doctors know how to deal with them. Few scientists study them. That might change as thousands of people with similar problems are emerging all at once, and are pushing for recognition and research. In a pandemic, experiences that might once have been dismissed grab attention. Perhaps that tells us they should never have been dismissed at all.

The Core Lesson of the COVID-19 Heart Debate

Arnie Pye, JoanneS, Chezboo and 28 others like this.
  17. rvallee

It's annoying to still see the trope of "this illness used to be stigmatized" going on. It's technically true that it used to be discriminated. It still is, but it used to be, too. But the far more important point is that it currently is 100% discriminated against. Nothing has changed. The state of discrimination remains total. It's the difference between talking about a history of segregation and ongoing segregation, time is very relevant here. The default standard of "care" today remains: none. Absolutely none and on principle, that is medicine goes out of its way to maintain that and reject any change to this state of systemic discrimination. Because we ask. Constantly. And they always say no, absolutely no and never. Even when they are forced to admit it's a failure they still do nothing, they just don't care.

I don't know how that point is so often made without being corrected. I guess journalists don't want to paint a bleak picture but then that is exactly how the picture remains as bleak as possible. I see it often and it annoys me so much.

Maybe it's worth writing to the newspaper. I don't know. Because this argument is so often made that it feels like whack-a-mole and I can't even begin to imagine where they get it. Who tells them that? Or is it just that they hope? Or that they somehow trust when medical authorities who push the CBT/GET nonsense tell them that it's all under control now because BPS? Where does this blatant lie come from?

There is definitely an ongoing war in Ba-Sing-Se. If you don't know that reference go and watch Avatar: the last airbender, you will not regret it.

Chezboo, Chris, sebaaa and 6 others like this.
  18. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, lots of longhaulers in Sweden are already having problems receiving disability from the social insurance agency :( It's the same problems very frequently experienced by pwME (including myself) since 2008.

Sveriges Radio: Överläkare: Stoppa utförsäkring av covidsjuka
    https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/7548211

Google Translate, English ("Chief Physician: Stop denying covid patients sickness benefit")
    Here's what a cabinet minister answered when recently asked about this by another politician:

Riksdagen: Skriftlig fråga: Utförsäkring av covidsjuka
    https://www.riksdagen.se/sv/dokumen...ftlig-fraga/utforsakring-av-covidsjuka_H81115

Google Translate, English

19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The government has taken a number of measures to mitigate the consequences of the pandemic. Among other things, the government decided in June on temporary exemptions which means that sick leave under certain conditions should not be tested against normal work after the rehabilitation chain day 180 and day 365. The deviation from the time limits was implemented to create financial security for those who can not receive the care or rehabilitation they need to be able to return to their work and this is due to covid-19.

It is interesting that the government agency seems to see rehabilitation as a sausage machine that spits out healthy people after a certain number of days. And yet as far as I know there is no reason to think rehabilitation has any place in this problem.

20. Dolphin

Not sure which is the best thread for this Cort Johnson blogpost
    Ian Lipkin on Long Hauling with the Coronavirus, a Possible B-cell Subset, and Protein Biomarkers for ME/CFS
    [​IMG]
    Ian Lipkin talks on his own long hauling experience with the coronavirus, and what he expects from the coronavirus in the future, as we cover Lipkin's recent ME/CFS proteome study which identified a possible B-cell subset and biomarkers. Check all that out in the SImmaron Research Foundation sponsored blog:
    http://simmaronresearch.com/2020/09...-b-cells-biomarkers-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.