1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Snow Leopard, Michelle, Mij and 3 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Person who doesn't know much about X: "this is clearly not like X"

"And how much do you know about X?"

"That this is clearly not like X"

Proceeds to describe X but insists it's different because reasons

Right. Carry on. One thing I do know about that thing is that it's definitely different than a thing I know nothing about. Illness after a virus is obviously not post-viral illness, Shirley.

I do love the meta-irony of people dismissing ME out of concern that it's dismissive to post-COVID. Which, uh, hello?

Chezboo, Sly Saint, EzzieD and 11 others like this.
  4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1298310829578780672

MEMarge, Skycloud, EzzieD and 12 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Do others think has there been shift in favour of ME being used more than CFS in the post-COVID coverage?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    MEMarge, sebaaa, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  6. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, EzzieD, sebaaa and 6 others like this.
  7. rvallee

Yes, clearly.

Sean, Leila and lunarainbows like this.
  8. rvallee

Good article but the part about PEM happening 1-2 days later "rather than" immediately is not accurate. It depends a lot, the 1-2 days delay is the odd thing out, but I often crash pretty immediately from too much exertion. It's both and the delayed effect is the weird one, but it's not mutually exclusive.

I'm a little too worn out to argue that, though.

FMMM1, anniekim, Sly Saint and 15 others like this.
  9. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe they want to make clear that these post viral symptoms are serious. Not "only" chronic fatigue. Duh :rolleyes:

11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone able to find the recommendations document. I think it was the August 5 meeting but the link is only giving me a transcript:

https://appgcoronavirus.marchforchange.uk/publications_appg

I’m interested to see whether they say anything about ME/CFS.

ETA: I found this letter. Perhaps that’s all that there is https://twitter.com/user/status/1298197491222032385

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  12. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the article:

Feeling out of breath and racing heart in my experience during a viral infection is common for me, and "PEM" will come on immediately after exertion. The delayed PEM occurs when I've gone over my 'energy window'. I don't feel out of breath and my heart does not race. It's a whole different experience.​

rvallee, JemPD, Simon M and 4 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

14. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is sort of relevant, although it's approaching from entirely the diagonally opposite end of the spectrum, i.e. people who are "fit and healthy":

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/fam...on-new-evidence-shows/ar-BB18lWMt?ocid=ASUDHP

15. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  16. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the paper the article is based on

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11420-020-09777-1

Considerations for Return to Exercise Following Mild-to-Moderate COVID-19 in the Recreational Athlete

"The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in significant morbidity and mortality around the world. The spectrum of COVID-19 is broad, from clinical disease requiring intensive medical care to less severe symptoms that are treated with supportive care. The majority of COVID-19 cases fall into the mild-to-moderate category, with symptoms lasting less than 6 weeks. Nevertheless, the morbidity from COVID-19 is significant and can affect multiple body systems, most frequently the cardiac, pulmonary, hematologic, musculoskeletal, and gastrointestinal systems. For patients who wish to return to exercise after mild-to-moderate COVID-19, the wide range of disease expression presents a challenge for clinicians seeking to offer counsel. This literature review on return to activity following mild to moderate COVID-19 in the recreational athlete includes evidence-based considerations and recommendations for clinicians in guiding the safest return to activity."

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  17. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Gaslighted by the Medical System’: The Covid-19 Patients Left Behind

https://elemental.medium.com/gaslig...he-covid-19-patients-left-behind-3ee0d3419197

18. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

A dilemma for ‘long-haulers’: Many can’t prove they ever had Covid-19
    by @dave30th

https://www.statnews.com/2020/08/26/long-haulers-dilemma-many-cannot-prove-they-had-covid19/

19. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Skycloud, MEMarge, Binkie4 and 26 others like this.
  20. rvallee

Unfortunately this advice is for 2 weeks only, then advises graded exercise afterward. :banghead:

It's getting incredibly frustrating seeing all the worst possible mistakes being made many times over while we could actually help medicine avoid all of those mistakes and accelerate research, cutting months, if not years, of wasted efforts. Such a stupid system to reject relevant knowledge presented on a silver plate like that.

All they have to do is listen to the patients. But they just don't want to because medicine still operates like we're in the 15th century and everyone who isn't a medical doctor or a scholar must be an illiterate simpleton. The patients are telling them everything they need to do better and they just spit on it, insist on committing every mistake to its fullest extent.

We could probably save a full calendar year of wasted efforts, and billions in opportunity cost, right here and now by doing this. But nooooooo, medicine has to be by physicians for physicians, nothing can penetrate the bubble.

EzzieD, Sean, sebaaa and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.