1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

?? It's already free access from the link I posted.

Kitty, Dolphin and Robert 1973 like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I forgot who he was, but Nicholson's an FND mate of Sharpe, Wessely, Carson, Stone, etc.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/people/dr-tim-nicholson

I expect that the BPS crew will be keen to set up or influence/shape any Covid-19 patient groups that they can.

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have heard and read about many post-COVID long haulers experiencing mood swings. Are these individuals at heightened risk of neuropsychiatric symptoms such as depression etc I have never /read/heard this complaint coming from the ME community, and really hope this doesn't get mixed into the salad.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmmmm.
    I wonder what he'll think about his own conversion disorder. The cognitive dissonance must be crushing.

Chezboo, Woolie, NelliePledge and 9 others like this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re: H1N1

Woolie, lycaena, Sly Saint and 6 others like this.
  6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have heard the term emotional lability used when describing ME patients over the years.

I think any patient suffering quite serious level of disability, without proper diagnosis or support with no effective treatment and no answers are going to find themselves with a bit of a short fuse. They're going to start having financial, relationship, self esteem and career problems on top of the physical ones. Added to that many are too unwell to take part in hobbies and social activities that would otherwise provide a welcome, if brief, relief from their problems.

Ironically, this is a biopyschosocial problem, by which I mean that if BPS did what it said on the tin rather than patient blame and gaslight, considerable psychological suffering could easily be avoided.

7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How is it that it's the people with ME that have the problem of a dualist view?

We have argued against our symptoms being relieved by their psychological treatment. BPS views the illness as possibly triggered by a physical assault and then our 'psychology' perpetuates the illness.

I feel more needs to be untangled here. After all, what could be any more dualist than splitting mental health and physical health and then consulting for insurance companies that support one (physical) as worthy of coverage and not the other (mental).

The BPS cabal is playing fast and loose with this concept of dualism. And they seem rather confused.

8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wouldn't have thought so. I expect he'd easily be able to fit any of his own symptoms within the framework that allows him to make his money, particularly if his symptoms were mild and did not stop him working.

Woolie, JemPD, chrisb and 8 others like this.
  9. rvallee

It's really going to come down to this. Those who do recover will think of it as their success and positive attitude. Those who don't...?

Not exactly ideal to have the fate of millions hinged on pure chance. I'd like to speak to medicine's manager, please, this is all very silly.

Woolie, Simbindi, JemPD and 6 others like this.
  10. rvallee

11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As I posted on the SW thread, the incidence numbers were significantly lower than what we've seen from SARS-2 (or EBV for that matter).

227 reported cases for 113,979 influenza diagnoses (though only 13054 cases were laboratory-confirmed).

12. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many of them don't seem to. Is it the same sort of laziness as that which just quotes people's Tweets rather than bothering to ask for a comment?

That may depend on your browser, your status with the FT, and the number of articles you've already accessed. If ever you can't get at an FT article without being offered multiple subscription options, Googling on "site:FT.com" plus a string from the quoted text in quotation marks usually does the trick.

13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Mood swings can also be a direct result of physiological pathology.

14. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And longer, that's why there was the word 'invalid'. The victorian's knew all about sickly failing to thrive, bedbound, attic dwelling sorts

Woolie, Sid, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  15. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Emotional lability was a symptom of ME in the early days, which in the context seemed to be thought of as part of the neurological problems. It was distinct from BPS depression and things. We hear less of it now because people soon learn that any hint of emotional problems sends medics off in the wrong direction.

16. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you have any references for this regarding ME? I've never come across this anywhere.

I am familiar with emotional liabilities as a result of brain injuries and neurological disorders.

17. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is in the descriptions of ME by Ramsay https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Ramsay_definition under cerebral dysfunction.

18. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I *think* Charles Shepherd also mentions it in his book. Will see if it can find it later

19. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the FT article, one of the post-Covid symptoms that infectious disease professor Paul Garner mentions that he is afflicted by is...

This odd symptom of "fizzing" in the extremities is something I specifically associate with my own case of ME. I don't know if it shows up in other illnesses, but if the cause were known, it might tell us something about ME. My guess is that it might be cytokine related, just because I think I had experienced a similar sensations during the heights of pre-ME bouts of the flu.

Meanwhile...

I wonder if that "KCL colleague and 'expert in the field'” is aware of the story of Dr. David Fajgenbaum, who saved his own life by searching for drugs that could be repurposed to treat Castleman's disease. He's now looking for drugs that can be repurposed to fight Covid-19. https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/27/heal...ajgenbaum-drug-review-scn-wellness/index.html

Moderator note: This post has been copied and some posts moved to a new thread: Sensations of fizzing or buzzing, or paraesthesia in limbs

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2020
  20. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This letter in today’s FT took me all day to write and I suffered for the exertion but I hope it was worth it.

I decided that it would have a better chance of being published if I didn’t name the KCL psychiatrist in question. When writing letters for publication it’s always a compromise between saying what you want to say and what you think is likely to be published.

I would also have liked to raise my concerns about the reported allegations of “death threats” and the conflation of “chronic fatigue” with ME/CFS but I know from experience that long letters that try to make too many points don’t get published in newspapers. Instead I sent a polite email to the author.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290976177834860545

https://www.ft.com/content/a2bd17a9-41fb-48fa-8fae-445ff22d6bae

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.