1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

:thumbup:

Invisible Woman and Esther12 like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Simbindi, Kitty, lunarainbows and 8 others like this.
  3. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This one is courtesy of the Daily Telegraph:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coron...for-months/ar-BB14pDLq?li=BBoPRmx&ocid=ASUDHP

Anna H, JaneL, Simbindi and 14 others like this.
  4. lycaena

lycaena Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Simbindi, Gecko, Andy and 4 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Not a bad article, but not a single mention of PEM distinguishing ME from other fatiguing conditions. And says ME is hard to diagnose - surely that's mainly because doctors don't learn about it. If you understand the pattern of symptoms, and particularly have a really good understanding of PEM, and test properly to eliminate other causes, it shouldn't be too difficult to diagnose even without a biological test.

Anna H, JaneL, Simbindi and 21 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A first step being to use adequate language for it. Fatigue isn't appropriate. We don't call a car a steering wheel just because most cars have one. And actually since fatigue isn't even necessary it would be like calling cars a spoiler or clutch or whatever else is common but not universal on cars.

I don't know how this kind of conversation happens in medicine but the language used today will impact all future efforts, short-, medium- and long-term. In this case the impact will be strongly negative by injecting confusion into an already complex topic. It's clear that the use of fatigue is causing massive confusion when it is not the problem people are dealing with and it's not even necessary. Everyone experiencing struggles with the same confusion, it's maddening.

Chronic post-infectious illness? Something like that. I think it's important to distinguish infectious from viral because even though viruses seem to be the most common infectious trigger it also includes bacteria and other parasites. Clearly there will be sub-types but it's important to at least get the supercategory right this time.

Anna H, Kitty, mango and 7 others like this.
  8. Tom Kindlon

https://www.rcot.co.uk/recovering-covid-19-post-viral-fatigue-and-conserving-energy

9. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are talking about fatigue/exhaustion as symptoms, no? Not as a name for a disease. If they claim to have exhaustion and fatigue, I believe them.

10. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Tom Kindlon

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2020/05/22/covid-19-omf-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-study/

12. rvallee

13. lycaena

lycaena Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Belgian pandemic expert Peter Piot helped discover the Ebola virus, and is currently advising the EU on the COVID-19 pandemic. He is also a survivor of the disease, and found it much worse than he had expected."
    https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...vid-19-a-92cdf795-3378-44c8-b565-3294596e410c

Anna H, JaneL, Simbindi and 11 others like this.
  14. Wits_End

15. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This mentions CFS briefly a few times.

https://www.jpma.org.pk/supplement-article-details/476

DOI: https://doi.org/10.5455/JPMA.32

A5-T1.png

Michelle, Invisible Woman and Kitty like this.
  16. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yup – it even led to Prof Garner saying early on that he didn't have post-viral fatigue, because the name isn't in any way descriptive of the condition.

Using a name like post-viral syndrome could potentially help. The lack of specificity might signpost people to the fact that there's a whole list of possible symptoms, not just one.

Anna H, JaneL, Hutan and 14 others like this.
  17. rvallee

And very telling that in COVID forums they basically say the exact same thing ME advocates have been saying all along, to the effect of "I don't feel fatigued I feel sick". I'm not saying it could confuse people, it already is confusing the crap out of people, things are FUBAR. And I've seen many comments saying something like "I hope this really is just CFS and what remains is just the fatigue and not all the symptoms", thinking it must be different than what they're dealing it if it's just fatigue remaining and not more of less the same symptoms remaining chronically.

Seriously gigantic messy failure that does not have anything comparable anywhere in any other field of science, the most pathetic failure in a field already filled to the brim with catastrophic failures. And then there are decades of very strongly voiced warnings saying exactly that would be the end result of fabricating this fake-ass syndrome of one symptom that isn't even the main symptom.

Anna H, Lidia Thompson, Joh and 8 others like this.
  18. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't copy/quote it for some reason but in @Dolphin 's post #375 I notice they've slipped Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in under Psychiatric Complications for probable long term complications

Nothing like accuracy. Literally nothing like it.

Anna H, Hutan, Joh and 8 others like this.
  19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the correct name (WHO) is Postviral fatigue syndrome

https://dxrevisionwatch.com/2018/08...ation-of-pvfs-me-and-cfs-for-icd-11-part-one/

but as with CFS being shortened to chronic fatigue, PVFS is also incorrectly abbreviated to post-viral fatigue. Obviously one being the name of the condition and the other being a symptom.

So, often in these articles it is not always clear which they are referring to and as the bPS lot like to mix the two on a regular basis, they have become almost synonymous.

Yet another reason(if we needed one) to ditch CFS and get rid of the 'fatigue' in PVFS as long as they are both listed alongside ME.

Anna H, Joh, Simbindi and 8 others like this.
  20. Wits_End

And how on earth does Femoral head necrosis become a "Neuropsychiatric complication", for that matter?

Anna H, JaneL, JemPD and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.