1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    sebaaa, MEMarge, Shinygleamy and 5 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would correct that by saying that it was obstructed and sabotaged. "Marred" does not come close to cover the breadth and depth of what happened, this was no ordinary failure of people not understanding something, but of deliberately and maliciously misrepresenting it to fit their personal convictions, then fabricating extremely weak evidence to support conclusions that had been promoted for well over a century.

Sabotaged, with full awareness of the reported consequences, which amounts to criminal negligence.

3. rvallee

What is post-viral fatigue syndrome, the condition affecting some COVID-19 survivors?

https://theconversation.com/what-is...tion-affecting-some-covid-19-survivors-146851

Generally pretty good summary and history, though I disagree with that part:
    There is no need for a special delivery system. Just tell it straight to people, give them the right information, give them the right support, do not mislead them, respect them and actually follow through on efforts to make significant progress and there is absolutely no need for additional support in the vast majority of cases.

There is no need to change how people think, they are not thinking wrong. Those who think this is a psychological or behavioral issue are, and if they need CBT for that than all the more power to them but that doesn't concern us, stop projecting your insecurities onto others.

4. Dolphin

sebaaa, ladycatlover, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  5. rvallee

History repeats itself because the people who learn lessons the hard way are not at the table to prevent the same mistakes from being committed by the very same people who committed all the same mistakes before and reject the very premise that they made any mistake whatsoever. How can we learn from the past if we don't even learn from the present?!

There is no fixing this for Covid without fixing the system that created this problem in the first place. The ideology that created this failure has a stranglehold on most current discussions, things cannot change without reforming the whole thing. Time will not help, it will only make those with long Covid easier to ignore. Especially while things are not counted and research is not seen as a priority, everyone seems to bet on some magical "rehabilitation" that not a single person has explained why, let alone how, let alone that this very approach has completely failed in practice for decades.

Unless that changes, the BPS/MUS/FND monster will eat these people whole, the ends justify the means and nothing else matters to these people, they don't check, don't want to hear bad news, they only want confirmation of their beliefs.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1313452490726289411

Chezboo, sebaaa, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  6. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr Peter Bagshaw is:

https://pjbagshaw.wordpress.com

Senior clinical fellow at Bristol University, Clinical Lead for mental health, dementia, learning disabilities and adult safeguarding at South Gloucestershire (now BNSSG) clinical commissioning group, Clinical Director for dementia and talking therapies at the South West Clinical Network, as well as editor at Chronic Conditions online magazine and freelance conference speaker.

Chezboo, sebaaa, ladycatlover and 9 others like this.
  7. rvallee

Doctors with long COVID

Looks like doctors subject to the patient side of medically unexplained symptoms are not particularly impressed by the concept.

From the British Medical Association. This article basically debunks every single one of the tropes that had been pushed on us for decades. Interesting.

https://www.bma.org.uk/news-and-opinion/doctors-with-long-covid

At the very least I'm seeing growing recognition of POTS without the direct implication that it's clearly anxiety.
    One small caveat here, though: this is precisely what empathy is not. With empathy, one does not have to live the experience to appreciate its features and gravity. Empathy is supposed to bridge that gap, not happen out of personal experience's hindsight. With more empathy in medicine, we wouldn't be in this mess. Without people lacking in empathy, a universal feature in the BPS/MUS/FND ideology, this could have been entirely avoided.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Chezboo, sebaaa, rainy and 20 others like this.
  8. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He follows me on Twitter, and recently decided that IBS is not psychosomatic.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Maybe point him to S4ME?

10. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long COVID: let patients help define long-lasting COVID symptoms
    The terminology for long-lasting COVID symptoms — and the definition of recovery — must incorporate patients’ perspectives.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02796-2

sebaaa, 2kidswithME, Forbin and 8 others like this.
  11. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah yes, the definition of recovery, a slippery thing.....

12. Dolphin

13. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was a really great editorial from Nature!! Accompanied with a picture from a #MillionsMissing demonstration :thumbup:

... although COVID is well known, long COVID isn’t — at least, not yet. It is crucial that those with the condition are listened to in a way that, tragically, people with ME/CFS were not.

The difficulties faced by people with ME/CFS and their representatives resulted, in part, from the fact that the patient voice was marginalized. This contributed to delays in the condition being recognized.

2kidswithME, obeat, Forbin and 20 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

And also

sebaaa, Forbin, StefanE and 13 others like this.
  15. Invisible Woman

I remember when I was first diagnosed the whole cold showers and baths thing was still kicking around for ME patients.

My consultant mentioned it one day, commenting it's one thing for a healthy person in summer but for a sick person.....and also that as some patients were so desperate to get well they did this in the depths of winter and then when it didn't work they did it more frequently or for longer or both. Naturally, this made an ill person even more unwell.

It's only natural that people want to look for things that will at least ease symptoms, if not help them get well. Long covid seems like a very heterogenous group though and what apparently cures one might seriously harm another. Of course, if someone gets better it might be they recovered despite what they did & not because of it.

There's another risk our community are all too familiar with - the old if you really wanted to get well, you'd try everything. This leaves the community open for the predators and peddlers of woo. In hunting for recovery you can expend all your resources, physical & financial, and be left in worse health than when you started.

As a patient where are your resources better spent - getting behind the battle for recognition of the true nature of the condition, high quality research and fair access to much needed support or individuals shelling out lots of money for anecdotal treatment? Something I wish I had known enough to think about before I spend thousands making myself worse & other people better off.

sebaaa, ladycatlover, rainy and 15 others like this.
  16. Kalliope

sebaaa, Simbindi, alktipping and 11 others like this.
  17. Kalliope

STAT News: Covid-19 long-haulers and the experience of 'hidden' disabilities Opinion piece by Harry T. Paul - second year M.D.-Ph.D. student at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

The lack of discussion around hidden disabilities creates barriers for people experiencing invisible symptoms like pain or fatigue for which there is no provable medical etiology. As reported in The 1619 Project, the history of doubting patients stretches at least as far back as the beginning of slavery in the U.S. In the intervening centuries, before a syndrome or disease is categorized and accepted as “real,” patients with these symptoms have been written off. Chronic fatigue syndrome, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, and fibromyalgia are just a few examples.

sebaaa, Wits_End, anniekim and 10 others like this.
  18. Invisible Woman

Edit - cross posted with Kalliope - referring to

Hmmm....

Not bad but the article makes it sound a bit as though ME is recognised now and the discrimination is a thing of the past. We wish.

Also that ME was first reported 40 years ago. I doubt this is true. For example I know of fellow ME sufferer who is older than me who recollected her grandmother who always sat right by the stove as she was always freezing and could only do the bare minimum in terms of self care - what she later recognised as all the classic hallmarks.

Maybe it seemed to become a lot mire prevalent 40 years or so ago? Or is it just that coincides with the BPS rise to power and when the patient blaming started?

sebaaa, Forbin, Snow Leopard and 9 others like this.
  19. Kalliope

Wasn't it described already in the 1930's? So more like 90 years..

ETA: However the term "ME" arrived in the 1950's, didn't it? So 70 years, then..

sebaaa, Forbin, Snow Leopard and 4 others like this.
  20. Dolphin

‘Long Covid’ sufferers 'frustrated' as they struggle to return to work
    From migraines to fatigue, coronavirus patients say they are continuing to suffer debilitating symptoms months after first becoming infected, in what has become known as "long Covid."

Read in CNBC: https://apple.news/A5fwsXAG5T1KjmIbdkjwWrw

Sean, Wits_End, alktipping and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.