1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's brave of R Pope to be so clearly definitive without any scientific backing.

Time has a way of exposing our opinions to reality.

And the internet remembers.

2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It takes a particular sort of talent to make us almost lose patience with some people with chronic illness. They probably do not recognise how fortunate they are to have wiser heads suffering similarly.

In all the history, or even prehistory, of the human race there never has been such an illness.

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah that's why I thought it was interesting. That the people who reject ME, or at least at first and are struggling to accept the implications, still say the exact same things for the exact same reasons about the same issues as we have, going back decades.

Regardless of how the doubters view this, the symptoms and context are largely the same, the gaslighting is the same, the misrepresentation and real-life consequences are the same. I assume most thought that medicine has its shit together and would approach this the way we have seen things mobilized for example acute flaccid myelitis, that we'd have advanced lab research and people putting in all the stops to figure it all out and are now seeing that this will not be happening without addressing the exact same issues that have plagued us.

I perfectly understand their motivations to reject a discriminated disease, viewed as a non-disease by medicine, that is effectively misrepresented as some vague anxiety/depression/fatigue. It is entirely rational. And yet they face the same issues and now have to face the same fundamental problems, all the way down to a massive failure of basic vocabulary.

Philipp, cfsandmore, EzzieD and 13 others like this.
  4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe Ms Pope's views on ME/CFS were "informed" by BPS opinions and that's why she knows ME/CFS is clearly not what people with long covid have. After all, people with long covid have a disease with many symptoms, not just fatigue, and deconditioning makes no sense as explanation either.

A problem we have with ME/CFS is that a lot of people aren't merely ignorant, they're misinformed by BPS people.

I suspect this is what happened with Paul Garner as well. Initially his views on ME/CFS were so far from reality he didn't recognize the similarities at first. After he read articles written by actual patients or competent doctors he understood he had PEM.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw someone on Twitter today claimed that an individual who had told their story in the media had previously said they had a negative test for Covid-19, but was now saying they were a long Covid case and were interviewed as such. This person on Twitter thought they may simply have been in ME/CFS case and were perhaps influenced by the fact that if you have Covid, with some jobs in the UK you can get full pay when out sick (including the type of job this person does). They were also suspicious of another person who had deleted all their tweets before June 2020.

I'm not going to highlight the individuals as it's not conclusive proof in my mind, but it's one possible issue that could possibly be at play in general.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    sebaaa, MEMarge, lunarainbows and 6 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

If you were picking between long covid and an ME diagnosis I think a lot of people would stick with Covid.

despite the issues about perception of it being mild in younger people it has the advantage that 100% of the public have actually heard of Covid. How many of the public have ever heard of ME, some have heard of CFS but still........

sebaaa, MEMarge, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An article Forbes Magazine - Sep 30, 2020:

Six-Months As A Covid Long-Hauler: Unending Symptoms, Many Unknowns
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/lealan...unending-symptoms-many-unknowns/#77443d2b3dc8
    Sounds quite similar to many M.E. symptoms - though the shortness of breath might be more of a covid lung thing. I know there have been conversations on other threads here about experiencing a strange buzzing feelings inside the body. I certainly experienced that for years on end after onset. The overlap of such odd, yet specific, symptoms certainly seems eerie.

hinterland, sebaaa, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it may be. But yesterday I saw this post from June about a study of people with CFS:
    (2009) Cardiovascular Dysfunction with Low Cardiac Output Due to a Small Heart in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Miwa et al
    I haven't read the study, so I don't know what the approach to selection of participants was, or what framing they might have had to report those symptoms. But this was a 2009 CFS study.

I've experienced 'difficulty breathing on effort' at times. If my illness had started with Covid-19 rather than what seemed to be a gastrointestinal flu, then perhaps I would have paid more attention to breathing issues and reported them more often.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    EzzieD, Amw66, sebaaa and 16 others like this.
  9. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have too, but the author talks about developing the "worst breathing symptoms" she has ever experienced, as well as keeping a bag packed in case she had to rush to the hospital. Her oxygen levels were "borderline," but her x-ray didn't show pneumonia.

10. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Doesn't Dr Pope realise that " passing out unconscious" equals " psychogenic non-epileptic seizures.?

11. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To me the stairs issue is very M.E. I noticed on the previous comparison between M.E. and Long Covid symptoms that breathlessness was listed for covid but not for m.e. Well I can tell you I was getting out of puff climbing my mum's stairs yesterday! Breathlessness has always been part of my M.E. and my mum's. It comes and goes but when I have it it always feels like I've got one of those heart/lung conditions where you need an oxygen tank under one arm. Does anyone remember when M.E. folks used to be accused of overbreathing/hyperventilating.

12. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is shortness of breath the same as out of breath? I've experienced feeling out of breath quickly from viral infections, particularly when I had HHV6 and EBV reactivation. One time I had to lie down on someone's lawn because I couldn't walk another step on my way to my doctor's clinic.

13. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would this exlpain some longhauler's ME-like symptoms?

I'm wondering where to draw the line...do physical findings exclude an ME diagnosis or not?

Long Covid: Long-term effects of coronavirus include damage to heart, liver, kidneys - Oxford study reveals

"50% ofpatients have evidence of heart, liver or kidney damage, with a median age of 43 years"

"The first data from patients recovering from Covid-19 (160 patients, three months post diagnosis, 79% non-hospitalised) reveals many patients had measurable organ damage - even amongst those not hospitalised."

hinterland, Kitty, sebaaa and 5 others like this.
  14. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there evidence of organ damage from ME? How many patients died from ME in the early stages of less than 6 months? I think Dr. Klimas made the statement that ME was like late-stage AIDS that lingers on for decades.

Injuries yes. There are various processes leading to multi-systemic biological abnormalities- immune dysfunction, pro-inflammatory response (especially at early stages of disease), autonomic nervous system, oxidative stress and metabolic dysfunction.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    sebaaa, MEMarge, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  15. Dolphin

I happened to be reading a blogpost last night by someone from the UK who was not convinced lockdowns at this stage were justified by the level of deaths or even the level of hospital admissions (not an argument I’m convinced by). Anyway one person in the comments highlighted the level of “ME-like” problems that were arising. Judging by the comments, he didn’t seem to be a patient or someone particularly knowledgeable. The blogger then replied to basically agree and the level of “ME-like” problems was probably the main reason care should be taken about the spread of Covid-19.

Doesn’t prove anything but I thought I’d share.

16. rvallee

Both a curse and a blessing, but it's the sheer mass of people affected that makes this a disaster but also makes it possible for the disaster to end.

Had infections been significantly lower, this group would have been thrown down the memory hole like the rest of us. Even the massive scale barely makes things budge because too much inertia in the wrong direction has to be shed off.

Nothing was ever going to change without those circumstances, without a pandemic not only happening but being so completely out of control that the number of those facing chronic problems becomes impossible to ignore. The suffering had to be large enough to simply be noticed.

And still, nothing but resistance within medicine. The dogma won't let go of its bite. The fairy tales need to persist, the millions of lives sacrificed to them have to mean something. So much that they must continue to eat people alive, simply because it's what they always did.

Sean, sebaaa, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  17. rvallee

Wait it's not hysterical vapors?

Sean, Kitty, Shinygleamy and 2 others like this.
  18. rvallee

Sean, sebaaa, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  19. Dolphin

I’m not really saying anything new but this is why it is important that the ME/CFS connection is made despite the complaints by a few that can arise on social media.

20. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.