1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Sick notes and sympathy if you're lucky. Antidepressants, referrals to IAPT, advice to exercise and no sick notes if you're not.

obeat, Simbindi, Missense and 9 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She explains a bit more at 30 minutes into the podcast. I was not able to work out the name she uses for this model, perhaps someone else can. Developed by a dr. Master?

alktipping likes this.
  3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She says "the Hertfordshire model run by Dr Master."

alktipping and Kalliope like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a webpage on that under 'Guidelines in Practice. It has a caution about exercise and mentions the NICE guideline for ME but otherwise it is pretty much the same old, same old BPS-style 'holistic' approach with talking therapies and advice from physios on exercising back to health.

There is an ironic sentence.
    'Remember, you are just as much an expert as anyone else because there is very little guidance.'
    In other words nobody really knows what they are doing so this bullshit is as good as any other.

Everyone wants to be helpful but that is half the problem. What we need are some facts and some realism.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Simbindi, Ariel, Missense and 15 others like this.
  6. Kalliope

Thank you!

That helped me find this summary of a talk by dr. Harsha Master from the Royal College of General Practitioners annual conference 2021 with more details of how they work:
    https://www.rosecottagedoc.co.uk/post/red-flags-in-long-covid

alktipping, Trish, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  7. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Washington Post: Could long covid unlock clues to chronic fatigue and other poorly understood conditions?

Health
    Could long covid unlock clues to chronic fatigue and other poorly understood conditions?

By Frances Stead Sellers
    Today at 7:00 a.m. EST

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/11/07/long-covid-fatigue-research/

(...)

In February, NIH Director Francis S. Collins said the $1.15 billion investment in research would go beyond long covid to “improve our understanding of other chronic post-viral syndromes and autoimmune diseases, as well as other diseases with similar symptoms.”

Walter Koroshetz, director of NIH’s National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke and co-chair of the new initiative, said his and other departments have been collaborating on ME/CFS for several years but with little success, in part because the initial infection was often unclear and the symptoms diffuse. Now, Koroshetz said, covid is providing scientists with a “natural experiment.”

“This is our best chance to figure out ME/CFS,” Koroshetz said, “with the resources and an army of people.”

etc,

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2022
    sebaaa, EzzieD, Simon M and 16 others like this.
  8. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

sebaaa, Mithriel, Sean and 4 others like this.
  9. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:skull::emoji_performing_arts: I’m ducking and weaving.
    I’m twirling, I’m whirling.
    A puff of smoke,
    wave of my cloak.
    On my dust you all choke.

Perrier, Sean, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  10. rvallee

The least relevant comment is from an NIH researcher, and somehow this is a perfect metaphor for everything. But overall a good article.

As for the lucrative snake oil market: it only exists because medicine is especially fond of a special type of snake oil and can't let go of it. Doesn't help that some of the worst charlatans have MDs. That never helps.

Mithriel, EzzieD, Ash and 11 others like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Interesting how some of the least self-aware in this world are psychiatrists.

And by interesting I mean utterly appalling.

sebaaa, ola_cohn, John Mac and 11 others like this.
  12. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dear god what can we do to stop these headlines (“chronic fatigue”), especially when they are attached to an otherwise well-informed article!?

Helene, shak8, Peter Trewhitt and 7 others like this.
  13. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately quotes Amy Proal, who has zero data, and not anyone from OMF, etc.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  14. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Michelle likes this.
  15. Kalliope

The Lancet Global Surveillance, research, and collaboration needed to improve understanding and management of long COVID by Helen Ward et al

quotes:
    A hidden epidemic of long COVID is possible given the challenges in access to care and uncertainty about diagnostic criteria—factors that will differ in their importance between low-income and high-income settings.

Patients report not being taken seriously by medical practitioners or refused referral to long COVID services.

These services remain limited and where they exist vary in scope, quality, and access to some therapeutic options. In the absence of diagnostic tests, long COVID is partly a diagnosis of exclusion, creating challenges for patients and carers.

Previous diagnoses of exclusion, such as chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and irritable bowel syndrome, are now better defined than in the past, meaning patients are more able to obtain acknowledgment, treatment, sick pay, or insurance.

Data from high-income countries suggest that ongoing symptoms after acute COVID-19 can occur irrespective of initial disease severity and are more prevalent in women, middle-aged and older adults, people with pre-existing health conditions, and those admitted to hospital with acute COVID-19,
    although the latter might also reflect post-intensive care syndrome.

However, the pathophysiology of long COVID remains poorly understood with different mechanisms probably explaining the heterogeneous symptoms, including viral persistence, autoimmunity due to molecular mimicry, aberrant T-cell and humoral responses, and micro-thrombi.

Understanding the mechanisms and natural history of long COVID will inform diagnostic and therapeutic strategies, building on experience of other post-viral syndromes—eg, careful pacing in rehabilitation to avoid post-exertional symptom exacerbation. To date no antiviral or immunomodulatory drug has proven effective for the treatment of long COVID in trials.

Michelle, alktipping and Wonko like this.
  16. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Corona virus and blood donation:
    https://my.blood.co.uk/KnowledgeBase/Index/coronavirus infection
    https://www.blood.co.uk/news-and-campaigns/news-and-statements/coronavirus-covid-19-updates/

I can't see any mention of Long-covid patients.

But very long explanation here
    "Long Covid : Coronavirus"

https://my.blood.co.uk/KnowledgeBase/Search

(ME/CFS patients, even those who have recovered are not allowed to donate blood in the UK).
    "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis : Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome
    I am sorry but unfortunately, we cannot accept a donation if you have this condition or if you have previously had the condition even if you are now recovered."

https://my.blood.co.uk/KnowledgeBase/Search

Michelle, ahimsa, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  17. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2021
  18. rvallee

Dafuq? What hubris to publish this when not only the Lancet but Horton himself fought to deny us this, none of which is happening thanks to those very efforts. It's only because of LC that we are seeing some changes, none of which would have happened without it. Seriously in medicine truth matters exactly as much as in politics. Sometimes it does. Sometimes it's the least important thing. And no one takes any responsibility for what they say or do, and they don't even need to rewrite the past.
    And the Lancet holds a special responsibility in this. And yet no one cares, decades were wasted along with millions of lives and no one cares, lives are so casually wasted on ideology.
    Literally the whole PACE controversy, on which The Lancet is currently pushing both sides of this, although this latest one far weaker than its aggressive promotion of PACE. Amazing. Orwell was so wrong about having to rewrite the past, no one cares about blatant contradictions unless it affects them.

Honestly how is this all any different than picking and choosing political headlines to make a political point? Some studies say this, other studies say the opposite. People can pick choose from whatever opinion they hold and ignore any study that contradicts their viewpoint. And the truth hardly even matters to most, simply because they don't know it and wouldn't recognize it if it slapped them in the face. To which they would promptly lodge a complaint and have an op-ed published over the violence they suffered from the truth.

Chezboo, Ariel, Frankie and 12 others like this.
  19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

And sometimes not even then. We still have people dying in ICUs from COVID, and denying it all the way to the grave.

20. Kalliope

NPR New clues to the biology of long COVID are starting to emerge

quotes:

"It's still early days. But we believe that long COVID is not caused by one thing. That there are multiple diseases that are happening," says Akiko Iwasaki, a professor of immunobiology at Yale University who is also studying long COVID-19.

"We are finding elevated cytokines in long-COVID patients and we're trying to decode what those cytokines mean. We're also seeing some distinct autoantibody reactivity and are trying to find out what those antibodies are doing and whether they are causing harm," Iwasaki says.

Other researchers have produced similar findings. Dr. Steven Deeks at the University of California, San Francisco, found long-COVID-19 patients appear to have elevated levels of a cytokine called interleukin-6, suggesting they may be suffering from a state of chronic inflammation.

Yet another clue found in one subgroup of patients is an unusual pattern of activity by key immune system cells, such as as T-cells, which may support the idea that the virus is hiding in the body.

"That's a signature or pattern which could be consistent with a low-level, but persistent, infection in the long-COVID syndrome patient," says Dr. Igor Koralnik at Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.