1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My understanding is that it also prevents mutation and new variants?

Does this make the current vaccine less effective against the new variants?

alktipping, Simbindi and Kalliope like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Only in the trivial sense that if you have no virus you cannot have a mutation.

3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Chalder said about pw ME/cfs:
    (here we go again?)

What's causing long COVID?
    Scientists are looking for the mechanism behind the condition...
    16 August 2021
    Interview with
    Akiko Iwasaki, Yale University
    https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/interviews/whats-causing-long-covid

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    anniekim, Sean, SNT Gatchaman and 2 others like this.
  4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Helene, Wits_End, alktipping and 14 others like this.
  5. Kalliope

New Atlas Long COVID and chronic fatigue syndrome share striking similarities

Article is about the paper "Redox imbalance links COVID-19 and ME/CFS" by Paul, Komaroff et al with commentary from Mady Hornig.

- In general, post-viral illness is a remarkably understudied field and growing concerns over long COVID offer the biggest research boost on the topic in decades. Mady Hornig, a ME/CFS researcher from Columbia Mailman School, welcomes the long-overdue attention and suggests insights gleaned from novel studies into long COVID could hopefully lead to new treatments for all kinds of post-viral illnesses.

“One of the interesting things we’ve seen so far is that some COVID-19 patients who initially seem to be on the path to developing ME/CFS actually start to feel better after four or five months,” says Hornig. “We think that looking closely at these people and comparing them to others who eventually do get diagnosed with ME/CFS could yield valuable insights. Might there be something distinct about their immune systems that makes them more resilient? That could be the kind of discovery that opens up new possibilities for treatment.”

ETA: Link to article is also shared in the thread about the paper here

6. Kalliope

The Scientist Mechanisms of Long COVID Remain Unknown but Data Are Rolling In

Have only skimmed this article, but it looks thorough and interesting. ME is mentioned briefly towards the end-

Quote:
    Several researchers, Akrami and Russell Low included, are also looking to other post-viral syndromes to try and understand long COVID. The symptoms of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome(ME/CFS), a condition marked by debilitating exhaustion and cognitive problems, are very similar to those of long COVID, and ME/CFS can also arise after viral infections. “I think the underlying pathophysiology [of ME/CFS], while complex and incompletely understood, is similar” to that of long COVID, says Low. Several research efforts are now exploring possible links between ME/CFS and long COVID.

Hutan, Michelle, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  7. Peter

Peter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, might be what Horning describes, distinct differences in the immune system, but it shouldn’t be underestimated that a SARS-Cov-2 patient probably will have a much better start, type Garner, than the usual ME-patient. That better start is due to swift certain diagnosis and if there is one thing we’re learned from ME and lack of optimal outcome, it is that time is of essence early on. So there should be no doubt of the massive negative impact a push through strategy can have, exactly due to uncertain diagnosis, valuable time missed, lack of good advice, often the direct opposite. So the initial phase will often be like night and day for different patients. And one can just speculate how much damage can be done early on if doing exactly the opposite of what is needed.

In an ideal clinical world, one where patients couldn’t be harmed by different strategies, I would like to see someone study two ME-patients, different strategies early on and the immune system more closely.

- one the Garner/long Covid optimal style, being careful initially for a little time as described over, and

- one the opposite way, as most ME-patients experience, the just “go on”, do your best, don’t take it particularly careful, just push through and let see how it goes...

Wits_End, alktipping, Sean and 5 others like this.
  8. Kalliope

The Atlantic Long COVID Is Everyone's Problem by Ed Yong

quote:
    One of the biggest misconceptions about long COVID is that it is entirely new. The SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus may have emerged in 2019, but many infections can lead to similar long-term symptoms. Long COVID shares traits with chronic illnesses including ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and dysautonomia including postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS). Although long COVID isn’t identical to any of them, the overlaps are substantial. “There are likely several things unique to COVID-19, but we’re not starting from scratch,” McCorkell told me.

For example, many long-haulers have the hallmark symptom of ME/CFS—post-exertional malaise, in which mild bursts of activity trigger dramatic crashes. Clusters of ME/CFS have followed many disease outbreaks, including the original SARS epidemic, in 2003. And when the pandemic began in 2020, ME/CFS researchers and patients saw long COVID coming before anyone else did. “For years, we’ve been shouting from the rooftops that this is something that happens after an infectious onset, but it’s been hard to get people to pay attention,” Michael VanElzakker of Harvard, who is one of the few scientists to study the condition, told me. Much like long COVID, ME/CFS has been trivialized as a psychological condition, its patients mocked and its researchers underfunded. “It’s a terrible outrage,” Maureen Hanson, a molecular biologist at Cornell who also works on ME/CFS, told me. “If we had a better understanding of it, we’d be ahead of the game” with long COVID.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2021
    Ravn, Anna H, Wits_End and 22 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A worrying sign, the main Covid long hauler sub-reddit has been quarantined, likely following complaints from LC deniers.

There was always a possibility that responses to Covid misinformation would be abused this way. This is done by Reddit admins.

I think this works fine if you click on "Continue": link because the forum embeds posts but it doesn't work.

Seems to be related to this announcement.

Edit: quarantine was removed, fortunately

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    Hutan, mango, Ravn and 4 others like this.
  10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

EzzieD, Michelle, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  11. Kalliope

The University Hospital of North Norway (UNN) announces that they are opening a regional clinic for people with long term symptoms after covid-19. They write that these patients can have several of the same symptoms as CFS/ME patients and patients with severe idiopathic fatigue; headache, cognitive issues, fatigue, anxiety and breathing difficulties.

They offer interdisciplinary assessment and help with coping to CFS/ME patients, and therefore have relevant experience to provide an offer for patients with long lasting symptoms following covid-19.

They work from a holistic model where physiological, psychological and social factors are believed to be connected and influence each other.

UNN oppretter regional covid senfølgeklinikk
    google translation UNN establishes regional covid clinic for long term symptoms

Simbindi and Trish like this.
  12. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long Covid care: ‘There has been a sense of swimming upstream on my own’
    One patient tells of 18-month waiting time to access a Covid clinic, says Mayo GP

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/hea...ense-of-swimming-upstream-on-my-own-1.4658009

Also:

13. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A recording of this webinar - The Long Haul: What Every Person Should Know About Long COVID - is now available on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rSb2Ay8AWo

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rSb2Ay8AWo

14. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

16. Kalliope

"Post-COVID conditions" is the theme for a CDC Case Challenge titled: A woman with fatigue, palpitations, and headache in Medscape.

Emphasises PEM and OI, ME/CFS is mentioned briefly as a similar condition and the article links to useful resources. Elizabeth R. Unger is among the authors.

Starlight, Amw66, ahimsa and 8 others like this.
  17. rvallee

If they keep calling it "chronic fatigue", they are basically creating all new cracks and widening the existing ones. Or sabotaging the stools, I guess? Weird expression in this case.

Maybe, I don't know, don't? Good grief the average stone can probably be squeezed for a good liter of blood before you'll get even 1% of medical professionals to get the basic facts right.

18. Kalliope

DW News - Recovered, but still not healthy: How long COVID affects people around the world

Case is a woman who has been diagnosed with CFS after Covid-19. Interview with dr. Carmen Scheibenbogen who presents three hypothesis for ME. Interview with dr. David Strain who says 1/3 seems to make a full recovery, 1/3 make good enough recovery to go back to normal activities and 1/3 are still suffering very badly 12-16 months after the infection. There's also a Q&A section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuVh6mxBBZw

Joh, lycaena, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  19. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

and replaced in some cases by the people who have had adverse reactions to the vaccines. I've not recovered from mine.

20. rvallee

Hutan, EzzieD, Sean and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.