1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My understanding is that respiratory physiotherapistsl address respiratory and peripheral muscle weakness, deconditioning and physical inactivity.

I can see damage being done to pts with PVF states.

merylg, MEMarge, Mithriel and 3 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But what does 'addressing' achieve? Is there any evidence that they know what to recommend? I don't actually believe that if your respiratory muscles are weak that doing 'exercises' will do anything useful. If those muscles needed to do more they would be told to do so involuntarily by the brain stem and strengthen if they could.

I may be wrong but does anyone have any evidence that they can do anything useful? My experience of physio as a rheumatologist was that it largely perpetuated the tradition of medicine of doing something for the sake of seeming to do something. The situation in children is different in some respects but in general physio is not evidence based.

merylg, tmrw, Mithriel and 9 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

And deny them social security support.

merylg, MEMarge, Wits_End and 8 others like this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to agree with you - a relative, who was a psysio, told me that they had to contact Doctors regularly - why did you refer patient X what is the problem/why do you think they will benefit from psyio? Of course they knew that the real reason was that the Doctor wanted rid of patient X --- send them to psyio was a polite way to do that.

Hutan, MEMarge, obeat and 8 others like this.
  6. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And I think its a similar dynamic of expedience which has kept PWME ignored and BPS snake oil peddlars in business.

Only its bureaucrats instead of doctors.

Bureaucrats tend to have many things going on they are trying to solve, especially the political even more so the ministerial varieties, they like to be able to declare a problem solved and stick a feather in their cap and move on to another problem. The prime consideration being whether everyone else will believe the problem has been solved and reelect them, or at least enough for a majority.

So for them its a question of convincing enough of the people enough of the time and for us its what they believe their electorate believe.

BPS proponents big themselves up as scientists (when they are nothing of the sort) to sell their snake oil to the decision maker bureaucrats who buy it because BPS uses prehistoric prejudices to sell a story the bureaucrats believe other people will believe.

It follows that while we need to show bureaucrats as decision makers why BPS is hokum, in order to finish the job we have to show rank and file why the prejudice inherent in BPS is not truthful.

That gets much easier when more of the population have longcovid because the reality it creates becomes a more common frame of reference.

The argument I always start with when trying to explain why BPS GET etc is wrong headed to non biologists is there is a reason athletes dont train with a virus.

This is usually recognised as truthful because it is and helps people think because it is counterintutive to BPS GET which is built on prejudice which echoes the idea that exercise makes you fitter, thankyou Gerada, which a football fan knows well enough is not always true.

This level of argument reveals that BPS GET advocates are incompetent, misguided and have no experience of the thing they pretend they are experts on and do not know enough to establish the difference between those who will benefit from exercise and those who will not which any concerned parent would realise was common sense as a necessary first step.

Just running with the ball there ;)

7. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I need to re-read this. I agree with what you are saying e.g. I work in policy and the approach is often to set out the great things our Minister/Department officials have done - even if they're talking s--t --- I've a Westminster Parliamentary Question drafted [thanks @Trish ] and submitted to my MP - I need to chase that up.

There's also a thing I'd considered re the Public Accounts Committee - NICE downgrading the assessment of PACE etc. publicly funded research.

So yes we can point out they're wasting money on smooth talking (useless) folks --- challenge that.

GWAS - Actimetry studies [ @Jonathan Edwards ]--- we need to highlight opportunities --- things we want funded

MEMarge and alktipping like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Forestvon, MEMarge, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  9. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some frustrating comments, e.g. not everyone recovers from a post viral syndrome within 2 years
    ---
    ---
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland...fronted-in-aftermath-of-covid-19-1122702.html

MEMarge, merylg, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Full paper has a section on ME/CFS:
    https://aacnjournals.org/aacnacconline/article/doi/10.4037/aacnacc2021492/31445

ARTICLE| MAY 04 2021
    Post-COVID-19 Syndrome: Theoretical Basis, Identification, and Management
    Newly PublishedCE Article
    https://doi.org/10.4037/aacnacc2021492

As COVID-19 continues to spread, with the United States surpassing 29 million cases, health care workers are beginning to see patients who have been infected with SARS-CoV-2 return seeking treatment for its longer-term physical and mental effects. The term long-haulers is used to identify patients who have not fully recovered from the illness after weeks or months. Although the acute symptoms of COVID-19 have been widely described, the longer-term effects are less well known because of the relatively short history of the pandemic. Symptoms may be due to persistent chronic inflammation (eg, fatigue), sequelae of organ damage (eg, pulmonary fibrosis, chronic kidney disease), and hospitalization and social isolation (eg, muscle wasting, malnutrition). Health care providers are instrumental in developing a comprehensive plan for identifying and managing post–COVID-19 complications. This article addresses the possible etiology of postviral syndromes and describes reported symptoms and suggested management of post-COVID syndrome.

long-haulers, post-COVID syndrome, symptom management

Hutan and Sean like this.
  11. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME battle ‘must not be repeated with long Covid’, says chair of Cambridge support group

Great article in the Cambridge Independent where Dr Mark Harper, chair of the local ME support group shares his thoughts on several different topics, including long covid, GET, CBT and the current revision of the NICE guidelines, Michael Sharpe and George Monbiot, and so on.

“There are are discussions still taking place about the inclusion of CBT in any form in the new guidelines. CBT has still been included, not as a curative treatment which it was previously, now it’s supposed to help with psychological distress. However, we want CBT to be removed because the NHS has a few centres for treating ME. It’s clear that GET won’t be mentioned in the new guidelines, but even just the retention of the name ‘CBT’ means that people practising CBT and GET will be able to carry on.

“There’s got to be a complete elimination of the term, though I’ve nothing against CBT as it was previously used – as a way to avoid spiralling down into negativity.”​

Full article: https://www.cambridgeindependent.co...-repeated-with-long-covid-says-chair-9198471/

inox, Chezboo, Hutan and 20 others like this.
  12. Colin

Colin Established Member (Voting Rights)

NPR: If Your Brain Feels Foggy And You're Tired All The Time, You're Not Alone

May 7, 2021, by Rhitu Chatterjee (4:30m; with transcript).

<< While some people who have had COVID-19 report brain fog and fatigue as lingering symptoms of their infection — what's known as long COVID — mental health care providers around the U.S. are hearing similar complaints from people who weren't infected by the virus. And many providers, like Cyrus, are feeling it themselves. This kind of mental fog is real and can have a few different causes. But at the root of it are the stress and trauma of the past year, say Cyrus and other mental health experts. It's a normal reaction to a very abnormal year. >>

Seems to me to be a shameless attempt to diminish the gravity of LC symptoms by conflating them with stress/anxiety/tension/grief/trauma/low-grade inflammation/fatigue/exhaustion/depression. If they can no longer convince people that ME/CFS/LC is one of those things then the next best thing is to dilute the problem by convincing as many people as they can that they are suffering the same things. No virus required!

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    Chezboo, oldtimer, Mithriel and 10 others like this.
  13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We got stuck with leaving CBT there for now to placate the zealots and save some faces, but long haulers have the opportunity to push for its removal and they should. There is no reason why it should be included anywhere as there is absolutely no need to change how anyone is thinking when it has nothing to do with the problem. Just support people, definitely don't neglect them, this is a fully manufactured problem that is best fixed by ending its manufacture to begin with.

There is no need to meet ideology in the midway point with science. That much should be clear. All this CBT stuff does is encourage people to do something for the sake of doing something no matter how useless and counterproductive it is. To hell with that.

inox, oldtimer, Forestvon and 10 others like this.
  14. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The sort of 'compromise' you can make about jumping off a cliff.

Missense, MEMarge, Helene and 3 others like this.
  15. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agree CBT is not appropriate as a first line of treatment, what new PWME or longcovid need is medical recognition/permission to respond appropriately to the condition which is more within the remit of medical diagnosis and advice on how to pace activity and manage life with the condition, which is occupational therapy.

CBT could be available as support for people who experience cognitive and behavioural difficulty adjusting to managing the condition and request psychological support, because it is quite a trauma to lose your vitality. It should not, can not, be rammed down people's throat, as patient volition is an important ethical and methodological prerequisite condition for engaging in CBT counselling, certainly the way MIND handle CBT, in my experience.

CBT without consent is brainwashing, like the reeducation camp regime inflicted on the Uighur. Which I mention to illustrate why it is appropriate and justified to oppose the non consensual CBT regime which BPS proponents are trying to impose on PWME/LC.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    merylg, Chezboo, Shinygleamy and 10 others like this.
  16. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They talk about brain fog but they do not define it anywhere. Years ago, one of the ME researchers in the US said that ME patients had similar problems as patients with AIDS dementia and the symptom should be called ME dementia. We also have deficits in working memory and a lack of concentration.

It is far from a normal reaction to stress and trauma both by the things that happen and by the degree of the problem.

On bad days I used to play a game with my young kids of "which way do we go to get home" because I couldn't remember.

merylg, inox, Simbindi and 14 others like this.
  17. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's a sympathetic long paywalled article about long covid in the UK today, in Sweden's third largest newspaper Svenska Dagbladet. (Only about the UK, it doesn't compare or contrast with long covid in Sweden.)

En miljon britter har postcovid: ”Sa att jag inbillade mig” ("One million Brits have postcovid: 'Said I was imagining things'")
    https://www.svd.se/en-miljon-britter-har-postcovid-sa-att-jag-inbillade-mig

The article tells the story of a 31 year old woman in London, her personal experiences of getting covid (not hospitalised) and long covid, being disbelieved etc, and finally getting to see a pulmonologist and getting a (biomedical) treatment that seems to work. It also tells the story of one of the co-founders of Long Covid SOS. It references data and research studies, lists common symptoms of long covid. Has quotes from, among others, a professor of immunology and David Strain:
    (Edited to fix typos.)

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Michelle, Wyva, Missense and 12 others like this.
  18. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, it’s more like brain halt, or cognitive coma. But those are too disturbing to contemplate, so I stick to brain fog which sounds as if it just may clear without a trace left.

merylg, inox, Chezboo and 13 others like this.
  19. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

merylg, Dolphin, Michelle and 10 others like this.
  20. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Symptoms and Testing for COVID-19
    https://academicworks.cuny.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2232&context=bb_pubs

Hutan, alktipping, Wyva and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.