1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anna H, EzzieD, Dolphin and 16 others like this.
  2. Colin

Colin Established Member (Voting Rights)

A longish piece from the BBC World Service in which the plight of two, teenage girls with LC are examined:

Coronavirus conversations: Children and Covid-19 (26:30-44:55m).
    No mention of ME/CFS but it is otherwise well produced.

alktipping, Dolphin, Kalliope and 2 others like this.
  3. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An article about an Australian study on LongCovid. Of course there's no mention of ME/CFS and there's the implication that this phenomenon has never been seen before.

This sort of nonsense isn't surprising given that almost all Australian doctors believe that all illnesses are psychiatric unless proven otherwise:

I suspect LongHaulers here will be as badly treated as those of us with ME/CFS once the novelty wears off. There have already been reports of some being told that their symptoms are due to 'deconditioning' and that they must undertake graded exercise.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Chezboo, alktipping, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  4. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Established Member (Voting Rights)

These people really have a low bar for trauma, especially considering how prevalent Long COVID is in young adults, who mostly suffered from only mild infections, and hence where organ damages only play a negligible role as well. LC skeptics are quick to blame news for inducing a nocebo effect, but any reasonably well-informed YA should also know that the IFR at that age is rather low, and LC occurred long before there was any significant coverage of it.

I could understand lying in the ICU for weeks on end, fighting for your life, being traumatizing, but this is just an insult to human resilience, with a dash of not-so-covert sexism mashed in, for good measure. The fact that commonly used health measurement scales for trauma do a really shit job of discriminating PTSD and dysautonomic symptoms likely won't help here.

lycaena, Chezboo, Anna H and 18 others like this.
  5. Frankie

Frankie Established Member (Voting Rights)

JemPD, alktipping, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, Michelle, Frankie and 5 others like this.
  7. Dolphin

IFR=?

8. Dolphin

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

do you think he will tone down his usual presenting style . don't think that his particular brand of enthusiasm would suit this topic .

11. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Living with long COVID, 1 year on

A personal account of long covid (and improvement after a low histamine diet). No mention of ME/CFS (apart from "chronic fatigue") but this is how she described some of her symptoms:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/living-with-long-covid-1-year-on

Louie41, alktipping, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  12. Frankie

Frankie Established Member (Voting Rights)

It is difficult to know what the tone is likely to be. Brian Cox, as a physicist, is not an expert on medical matters. Adam Rutherford is a geneticist and presenter of BBC Radio 4’s “Inside Science”. Both he and Nisreen Alwan have experienced long covid but their knowledge of ME will be limited, if not incorrect. Nisreen Alwan and the two other participants are all professors in subjects related to Public Health. As it is a Royal Society lecture, I would expect the tone to be mostly serious.

When I listen to any discussion relating to ME, I am always on tenterhooks, never knowing whether information given on ME will be misleading. It shouldn’t be like that. It matters because it affects the lives of so many vulnerable, ill people.

Hutan, Wits_End, JemPD and 11 others like this.
  13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New UK data that's likely to be of interest: Prevalence of ongoing symptoms following coronavirus (COVID-19) infection in the UK - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

This rate of recovery looks similar to with other post-viral problems we've seen before:
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisations/dvc1256/fig03/index.html

They have info for symptoms at 5 and 12 weeks, but some of the data only seems to be at 5 weeks.

eg the sex differences don't seem that big, but it's uncertain and only at 5 weeks:

Lots more info in there.

14. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't recall seeing this quote before from Dr Anthony Fauci, M.D., director of the NIAID at the NIH, regarding the similarity of some forms of post-acute COVID sequelae with #MyalgicEncephalomyelitis / #ChronicFatigueSyndrome

post-acute COVID sequelae.PNG

Code:
    https://twitter.com/TomKindlon/status/1377644100028076035?s=20
    Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/TomKindlonMECFS/posts/1925383444276438

Mithriel, alktipping, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  15. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

World at One bbc radio 4 had a section on Long Covid today. Covering Doctors with the condition, the Nice Guidelines and a suggestion at the end by a GP Gail Allsop leads on Long covid for the Royal College, that your problems are over once you get yourself referred to a long covid clinic.
    At 35mins:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000tnqr

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Missense, Colin, Snow Leopard and 5 others like this.
  16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(Doesn't seem worth doing a thread on every paper as few add anything significant other than confirming what is known and they don't bring much discussion.)

Limited recovery from post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 (PASC) at eight months of a prospective cohort, 2021, Darley et al

There is increasing recognition of the prolonged illness following acute coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-1). In a longitudinal cohort of 99 patients, 32% reported persistent symptoms and 19% had Long COVID (Defined as fatigue or dyspnoea or chest tightness) at median 240 days after initial infection. There was no significant improvement in symptoms or measures of health-related quality of life between 4 and 8-month assessments.

In multivariable analysis, female gender (OR 3.2, 95%CI 1.3-7.8, p=0.01) and acute COVID-19 hospitalisation (OR 3.8, 95% 1.1-13.6, p=0.04) were independently associated with Long COVID at 8-months. Only 80% patients reported full recovery at 8 months. Further research is required to understand the immunologic correlates of abnormal recovery and the long-term significance.​

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.03.29.21254211v1

17. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The piece says it is a quote from February but I'm wondering now whether it is the quote from last July that we knew about before? I was hopeful it was a more recent quote.

alktipping and Wyva like this.
  18. Dolphin

My mother told me that Dr Shepherd was on at the start of the 10 PM news on Sky News. It sounded like it was on this data. It might get repeated in a future hour.

19. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I noticed that Matt Handcock responded to this yesterday, maybe the first government minister to comment on Long covid?

Frankie and Esther12 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.