1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2021
  2. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They Got COVID-19. Months Later, They’re Still Sick. Who Are the COVID Long-Haulers?

"
    Notably, some providers have observed that long COVID appears similar to another condition: myalgic encephalomyelitis, or chronic fatigue syndrome. Infectious disease expert and White House adviser Dr. Anthony Fauci has pointed out the parallels, and in October, the U.S. ME/CFS Clinician Coalition wrote a letter encouraging providers to consider ME/CFS – which can occur after a person suffers from an infectious disease – as a diagnosis among long-haul patients.

"Given the similarity in symptoms and the preceding infectious illness, we recommend that you consider a diagnosis of post-viral fatigue syndrome or ME/CFS … in the differential diagnosis of those patients who remain ill for an extended time following a COVID-19 infection and meet established ME/CFS criteria," the coalition wrote.

In February, the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke additionally acknowledged the overlapping symptoms and said research was being done with that knowledge in mind.

"Through these studies, we hope to identify new targets for therapies and preventive measures and to soon welcome a future in which no one must live with ME/CFS or (post-acute COVID syndrome)," wrote Dr. Nina Schor, the institute's deputy director."

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...s-plagued-by-symptoms-as-experts-seek-answers

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NY Times
    Long Covid Is Not Rare. It’s a Health Crisis.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/17/opinion/long-covid.html

Anna H, Wits_End, alktipping and 16 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Children and the return to school: how much should we worry about covid-19 and long covid?

Among the unknowns that have featured in the steep learning curve of our covid-19 year, the question of risks to (and from) children has been an ongoing area of uncertainty. At first, the conundrum that the young seemed so little affected by the infection prompted at least one world leader to pronounce that they were “somehow immune.”

A year into the pandemic we have a much clearer perspective, especially from random testing surveys such as R, seroprevalence studies, and contact tracing studies. The overwhelming observation has been that, across the pandemic, children and adolescents are considerably less likely to be affected by severe disease or to be admitted to hospital. In transmission tracing studies, children are roughly half as likely as adults to become infected.1 While this is still the case, during the latest wave the age distribution of cases has shifted downwards.

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n701

7. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NY Times
    Long Covid Is Not Rare. It’s a Health Crisis.

Wonder if @Jonathan Edwards could write a letter to the editor about this op-Ed stating that Long Covid is not a useful term since it incorporates several conditions and that post Covid people with MECFS symptoms most probably have MECFS.

8. Dolphin

9. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My GP acknowledged during my tele-consult today that there are many similarities. and that it was 'serious'.

MEMarge, ahimsa, Shinygleamy and 11 others like this.
  10. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How odd that it wasn't seen as such a year or more ago, given I would imagine your symptoms are probably roughly the same as then.

Presumably that suggests that something is only a serious medical issue not on it's own merits but instead only if the media is looking.

JemPD, MEMarge, ahimsa and 15 others like this.
  11. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Most people seem entirely influenced by media narratives. In recent months I've had some interactions with doctors who have for the first time ever acknowledged the gravity of my illness after totally dismissing it for years. Why? Because they saw first-hand the effect of long covid on their staff and in some cases patients. Mind boggling.

JemPD, Anna H, Arnie Pye and 22 others like this.
  12. Dolphin

13. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lots of kids are asymptomatic, ( school testing in England will be interesting )
    Any parent knows full well how good at communicating disease and infections children are - why should COVID be any different.

14. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Long Covid: could chronic fatigue syndrome be taken seriously at last?

‘Long Covid’ has become shorthand for a wide range of post-viral symptoms experienced by some patients following a Covid-19 infection. Cases of chronic fatigue after acute respiratory illness are far from unprecedented, but the scale at which they are now occurring is unprecedented. Advocates for patients with similar illnesses are now hoping that the attention being given to long Covid could help improve care for these illnesses as well. Chloe Kent reports.

https://pharma.nridigital.com/pharma_apr21/long_covid_chronic_fatigue

Kalliope, alktipping, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  17. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this simply Russian roulette? Oh, nothing to be worried about, just 1-10% chance of your life as you know it being over, no big deal. People spend thousands on insurance every year for things with far lower odds of happening.

The ‘long Covid’ time bomb: an interview with Tim Spector

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-long-covid-time-bomb-an-interview-with-tim-spector

Turns out not understanding the thing you compare to makes for bad comparisons. Paying attention is underrated, the attention to detail in medicine goes from 100 all the way down to 0 at times.

"Show me someone with Long Flu", they say. Someone with Long Flu raises their hands and says "ME". "Sit down", they say, indifferent to being wrong about what they thought was a rhetorical point.

18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

John Mac, Sly Saint, Sean and 8 others like this.
  19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Medical System Should Have Been Prepared for Long COVID

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjp...repared-for-long-haul-covid-patients-symptoms

Touches on the broader issue of MUS and how this is a long-standing problem in medicine.

Replies to the author from physicians pretty much emphasize the point of how reactionary "psychosomatic medicine" is:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1372553999367409676

Shinygleamy, ahimsa, Dolphin and 8 others like this.
  20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

ahimsa, Dolphin, Sly Saint and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.