News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

STAT News Denied Treatment, some Covid long-haulers could become lifelong-haulers

For most long-haulers, the illness is neither fatal nor curable. Their symptoms, like Michael’s, can resemble chronic fatigue syndrome or myalgic encephalomyelitis with crushing exhaustion, migraines, disrupted sleep patterns, and pain. Others have lung scarring or heart damage.

Originally written off by the medical community, doctors now recognize it with a variety of terms, such as post-acute Covid, chronic Covid, long Covid, or post-Covid syndrome. Long-haulers are more descriptive in their labels. I’ve heard it referred to as “a Dementor sucking my soul,” “living death,” and “an internal prison.”

MEMarge, leokitten, John Mac and 13 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ng-covid-symptoms-to-those-of-ebola-survivors

MEMarge, leokitten, Kirsten and 13 others like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just read that Guardian article myself – the final paragraphs stuck me too:

But if there’s another lesson to be learned from Chikungunya, it is that these patients with lasting symptoms can’t simply be ignored. “Chikungunya is destroying the Brazilian health service, and it’s not so much because of the acute infection, but because of these lasting health problems,” said Altmann.

“I’m not sure our policymakers have this on board when they think about long Covid – that we may not just be talking about getting through this winter or this spring, but perhaps 300,000 people in the UK and rising, who have a chronic problem.”

4. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure if this has been posted before. Mentioned on BBC News today:

Imperial College Healthcare working with English National Opera on singing programme for Covid-19 patients
    05th Aug 2020
    https://www.imperial.nhs.uk/about-us/news/eno-breathe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-55819360
    English National Opera lessons for long Covid sufferers

Trish and Kitty like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Running thread on this call, includes slides:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1354870316921614338

The full presentation: https://emergency.cdc.gov/coca/ppt/2021/012821_slide.pdf.

Not much to show for now. Interesting to see the same findings on white matter. Otherwise this is far too diverse to pin. Interesting to see the note on one slide over how patients almost never have a single "primary" problem but multitudes, which is a complete break from standard clinical practice.

6. Kalliope

7. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And, for good measure, ENO's press release, with more details:
    https://eno.org/news/national-rollout-of-eno-breathe-programme-for-people-recovering-from-covid-19/

Glad to hear they're doing something, because they seem to have been pretty quiet for most of the last 10 months, compared with other similar organisations :(

MEMarge and Kitty like this.
  8. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Dolphin, Amw66 and 7 others like this.
  9. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.networks.nhs.uk/editors-blog/supporting-staff-the-emergence-of-2018long-covid2019

Full article can be read via the link given. It is primarily aimed at NHS workers.

Edit: Apparently the Wessely quote is quite old and comes from this article:

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...navirus-trigger-post-viral-fatigue-syndromes/

The article points HR managers to ME/CFS resources (ME Association and BACME).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  10. rvallee

Weird how they make no mention that Sir Simon Wessely is famous in large part because he solved post-viral fatigue syndrome when quoted on an article about this very topic. No mention that he has famously developed safe and effective treatments for it, commonly used in standard clinical practice and assumed to be effective (don't ask for evidence though). There's even a whole public controversy over this, with the NHS and UK medical establishment insisting that he is 100% about this, hence why it has been used in clinical practice for years.

This is an article published by the NHS. And they don't even mention him being the "world-leading expert" on this very topic. The NHS has spent billions in resources from his and his peers' work on this topic and its derivatives, adopted his opinion as a fact and educated its own trained doctors pretty much straight from the source.

How weird. Almost like his entire "expertise" is widely known as a sham, such that no one expects him to have any useful knowledge of it when it counts. He is just quoted generically, here used to imprint the idea of "think psychiatry" and no more, with a platitude of no more usefulness than tossing a coin. Will it, will it not? This expert doesn't know. This expert who has explained and solved this very problem for which no solution or explanation exists.

It's like the movie Brazil, except instead of being the government it's medicine.

leokitten, Kitty, Shinygleamy and 7 others like this.
  11. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1355203370622005254

It's true, but just as we should not assume that the ME/CFS-like long covid cases are ME/CFS, we should also not assume that they are distinct. They could be the same illness. The question will need to be clarified with research.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    MEMarge, Mij, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting the way she says she has more understanding of “these chronic conditions” (just after ME and CFS mentioned). Makes me wonder whether she might have been at least somewhat dismissive of them in her head which might help explain why she has seemed fairly desperate to keep them separate.

Ariel, Hutan, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  13. Kalliope

UNDARK - When Children's Covid-19 Symptoms Won't Go Away

Contains interviews with several patients and experts, including Amy Proal:

While she cautions that researchers simply cannot know whether the long-haulers will become life-longers, “it’s very unlikely,” she says, that SARS-CoV-2 would be the one virus that doesn’t have an associated chronic condition.

and Leonard Jason

“We’re going to need to develop a training manual to help professionals deal with this crisis,”

MEMarge, Michelle, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  14. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

something that I've noticed is that where long-covid is concerned people tend to talk about neurological
    problems, whereas with ME/CFS it tends to get called cognitive problems.
    I know there is a medical distinction between the two but more often than not 'cognitive' tends to be more associated with mental health issues (eg DWP disability assessment has cognitive problems in the mental health section).
    Was using 'cognitive' rather than 'neurological' as far as ME/CFS concerned, part of the reframing when the cognitive behavioural model was adopted?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    MEMarge, Ariel, Kitty and 8 others like this.
  15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Wits_End, Kitty, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  16. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

A pretty good New Zealand article (audio or transcript)
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/prog...81716/covid-long-haulers-fighting-to-be-heard

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    MEMarge, Michelle, Dolphin and 8 others like this.
  17. rvallee

Continuing on that thought, it's worth keeping in mind that the current vaccination strategy will eventually make LC the dominant problem. Not that the strategy is bad, but without recognizing the massive public health crisis LC represents, that once the more vulnerable populations are vaccinated it's safe to basically take a natural herd immunity, which no doubt many countries will do, the problem will be maximized. Many already are on that path anyway.

Because right now the schedule is set so that the most vulnerable to LC are those who will be vaccinated last. Which is OK, but highly problematic with medicine still in denial that this is a serious problem. Too many people assume that vaccination is the end. Not even close.

But it's very hard to give legitimacy to LC without recognizing the existing ongoing crisis of chronic illness, which gives huge incentives to keep dismissing it. Which would guarantee the worst outcome for everyone, health care systems included. And governments, millions of disabled people in the prime of their lives is a pretty bad fiscal policy.

Likely this will vary between countries. It's clear that many European countries are too deep in the BPS rabbit hole to undo it without massive embarrassment and so have even stronger incentives to deny the whole thing.

Ignorance is only bliss to those who never face the consequences of that ignorance.

Ariel, leokitten, Shinygleamy and 7 others like this.
  18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That's really disappointing. It would have been so interesting to have a GWAS for long Covid alongside the ME/CFS one.

Ariel, rainy, Kirsten and 13 others like this.
  20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

think this might have already been posted somewhere

upload_2021-2-1_14-0-39.jpeg

eta: found the pic in a recent tweet; I don't know the source.

Michelle, alktipping, Hutan and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.