1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

@PhysiosforME

Joh, PhysiosforME, Ravn and 11 others like this.
  2. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Joh, Barry, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2021
    Mij, Barry, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  4. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They have a lot of discussions about Long Covid on Times Radio:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/radio

I'm listening to them discussing it right now, the presenter said it may be a future health crisis with up to half a million people affected by it (based on the 1 in 10 scenario) in the coming year.

You can listen to past broadcasts on demand for up to 7 days after the original went out.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Michelle, alktipping, Barry and 7 others like this.
  5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Finally had a listen and thought this was a very good episode. A physiotherapist and an OT both suffering from Long Covid discussing how to figure out balancing activity vs resting, the importance of social media and validation, brain fog, how difficult it is to prioritise pacing when life gets in the way and how much they're learning on their way through their own experience. Very recognisable and sympathetic.

There are other episodes as well on Spotify here

6. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For Many COVID-19 Survivors, Another Devastating Syndrome May Follow
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis, or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, is on the rise

https://www.nextavenue.org/for-many-covid-19-survivors-another-devastating-syndrome-may-follow/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2021
    Michelle, Amw66, Sean and 9 others like this.
  7. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

thank you for flagging it

Joh, Sean, Ravn and 10 others like this.
  8. PhysiosforME

Without breaking any patient confidences, we have worked with some of the physios responsible for the long covid group - they are brilliant advocates for an non GET approach to management and we are partnering up with them in lots of ways. We jointly did a call recently with some long covid researchers to express our concerns and are doing a joint session this coming week for student physios. Covid is a real opportunity to raise the profile of ME but as Physios for ME, we're really conscious about our time being diverted so it is fab they are there and able to help

Hutan, Joh, Michelle and 22 others like this.
  9. PhysiosforME

I've just had a look (and wish I hadn't if I am honest!) Adds to the to-do list!

Joh, Michelle, Nellie and 17 others like this.
  10. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you do a quick google, the term 'psychological and stress' and 'mental morbidities' is heavily stressed in outcomes years later.

11. Dolphin

12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

First paragraph and separate link from above tweet (given that some people won't be able to view a tweet).

No mention of ME or any name variant.

Returning to physical activity after covid-19
    https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.m4721.full

I've tagged Physios for ME in the Twitter thread itself.

Michelle, Sean, ahimsa and 6 others like this.
  13. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is interesting to see, in the responses, a proponent of "long-covid is not ME" going on to give such an accurate description of ME.

Michelle, Amw66, Mithriel and 8 others like this.
  14. Mij

"Only return to exercise after at least seven days free of symptoms, and begin with at least two weeks of minimal exertion"

Did they just pull this number out of thin air?

Michelle, Sean, ukxmrv and 7 others like this.
  15. Mij

"Ok, 10 days is too long and 5 days is too short. Let's go with 7 days" Done.

upload_2021-1-9_10-46-41.png

16. Dolphin

Looks as though excluding those with Long Covid symptoms which is good to see.

Snow Leopard and Kitty like this.
  17. Dolphin

18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The more I've seen of Long Covid, the more I think that it would be bad for us to immediately lump Long Covid in with ME/CFS... there are going to be a lot of people recovering from LC in a variety of ways, and there's going to be an explosion of theories about why. It looks like they're repeating a lot of the problems that surrounded ME/CFS in earlier years, but seem to have lessened recently. I think that the current 'maybe it will be another form of ME/CFS but we don't really know at the moment' consensus is a good one for us. Hopefully we will make some progress with research more likely for all of us, but we'll be a bit insulated from the inevitable series of headlines about 5 people having recovered from LC after chewing a remarkable rainforest root, etc.

MEMarge, Joh, tmrw and 4 others like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it is unfortunate that a study of six month follow-up of people hospitalised for Covid-19 gets tweeted back as a 'Long Covid' study. The 22% of continued lung function impairment is more or less by definition not usefully put under Long Covid. It is scarring or lung tissue loss. Similarly the renal impairment. Muscle weakness is likely to be secondary to continued impairment of both and is not usefully lumped in with fatigue.

I am fairly sure that in the long term Long Covid will fade out of the picture. We will be left with long term tissue damage from Covid-19 and ME/CFS. The ME/CFS may be of a particular variety but I think it will come under that category.

merylg, obeat, MEMarge and 23 others like this.
  20. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No shit, really? Sorry anger towards the larger medical community not you. I think everyone losing their entire livelihood from a debilitating illness where the very action of living (exertion) makes it worse and with no treatments no improvements will eventually get stressed and psychological problems. We’re aren’t robots.

MEMarge, JemPD, Michelle and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.