1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know this is getting off topic, but a description of pentoxifylline properties:

Here is a description of the mechanisms of action https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK559096/

Given it’s anti-inflammatory and immunomodulating properties it also improves red blood cell deformability and blood viscosity. Ron Davis and co published that paper on reduced blood cell deformability in ME/CFS

Red blood cell deformability is diminished in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

@Jonathan Edwards what do you think about pentoxifylline?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Michelle and alktipping like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pentoxifylline has been around since about 1980 and has always had a reputation for being a drug that does a little bit of everything and a lot of nothing. It has been handed out in desperations to millions of people over the years. If it had any major role in something like ME someone would have noticed thirty years ago.

Barry, ukxmrv, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does cold water immersion have merit as treatment for poor microcirculation?

Barry, Michelle and Kitty like this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cold therapy was a thing for a while in ME. I did it myself, though not the standard version. I am not sure why we didn't hear more. I am guessing that most docs who were using it were not using it in properly designed clinical trials.

Barry, ukxmrv, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is the Polish group affiliated to Karl Morten not doing some form of cold water therapy ?

sebaaa, ukxmrv, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

They wanted to try cryotherapy (sitting inside a very cold and dry freezer, essentially) but I'm not sure that they got anywhere with it.

sebaaa, ukxmrv, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  7. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not convinced either will treat the problem that I'm thinking of very well, since they are fairly non-specific.

Kitty, Michelle, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hopefully he will revise his old books because Delaney has authored a book with this:

Psychological interventions for non‐ulcer dyspepsia, by: Shelly Soo, Paul Moayyedi, Jonathan J Deeks, Brendan Delaney
    CBT has not, in fact, been found to be effective for anything related to CFS or any similar condition. Truly nothing beats the experience of living illness to understand it. But if medicine genuinely cannot do this then the whole social contract needs to change here. 100% chance that without Marshall, peptic ulcers would be a "functional" GI disorder. And no one seems bothered by this. Amazing.

Barry, sebaaa, Mithriel and 8 others like this.
  10. rvallee

Almost a year in and everyone is still anchored on "rehabilitation" with exercise. No one is learning a damn thing. It should work and it must work and so it will be made to work. So many similar programs have been attempted already with no success, that information is clearly not being shared. Better repeat the same mistake hundreds of times in parallel just to be sure, that's how you escalate commitment.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1346514078236340231

And of course trying the wrong thing for the wrong reasons gets you a bunch of "brilliant!" and "fantastic!" praise from the echo chamber. Why? Who knows. Apparently medicine is so all-in on merging with alternative medicine that just trying is all that counts. Just try, try anything, it's all about attitude anyway. :banghead::wtf:

Edit: at least some are paying attention and sharing their observations:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1346883999394885633

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Joh, lycaena, Mij and 14 others like this.
  11. rvallee

How has there still not been a follow-up study on the SARS survivors yet? It's been less than 20 years, most are probably still alive. How much work would that even require? The data would be skewed for those hospitalized but that's what we have to work with. The chances that there were no mild cases that did not require hospitalization is unlikely, no reason to think it was that radically different from Covid.

Lots of people are referring to them and I see many comments in the LC community that most "recovered" by 12-24 months. Just as recovered as long haulers are, we know the definition is invalid. So what happened to them? I'm sure many would be happy to answer that.

This is really basic stuff and yet no one seems to be thinking about it. I don't get it, it's even super cheap to do.

Sly Saint, Barry, sebaaa and 12 others like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I had a search but I don't think this has been posted.

Preprint: Characterising long-term covid-19: a rapid living systematic review, 2020, Michelen et al
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.08.20246025v1.full-text

ahimsa, Barry, leokitten and 10 others like this.
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Only one mention of CFS:

Indeed, the NIHR has suggested that post-acute covid-19 may include any of several distinct clinical syndromes including: a post-intensive care syndrome, chronic fatigue syndrome, long-term covid-19 syndrome and disease from SARS-CoV-2 inflicted organ damage. [12]
    —-
    I recognise Claire Hastie and Jake C. Suett from the UK. The latter is a medical doctor. Both took part in the parliamentary group meeting where they were keen to keep long Covid separate from ME or CFS.

Chezboo, MEMarge, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  14. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/news/company-news/aim-doses-first-patient/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2021
    MEMarge, Sly Saint, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  17. rvallee

ahimsa, Barry, Shinygleamy and 11 others like this.
  18. rvallee

alktipping, MEMarge, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  19. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems to be quite big. Physiopedia presents themselves on Twitter with: UK registered charity. The largest physiotherapy resource in the world
    They have 47K followers on Twitter and 79K on Facebook.

Barry, alktipping, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  20. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Since the editors of this Long Covid page seem to have a reasonably good understanding of ME I went looking to see what Physiopedia had on ME/CFS. Lets put it this way: let's hope none of their tens of thousands of followers find this page any time soon. If there are any physiotherapists or physical therapists (requirement to become an editor) here with spare energy, it really could do with some work, it's a random mash up of the good, the bad and the ugly.

https://physio-pedia.com/Myalgic_Encephalomyelitis/Chronic_Fatigue_Syndrome

Joh, Barry, PhysiosforME and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.