1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a horror show playing out in real time!

2. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or, just maybe, the patients are not 'rehabilitating' at all.

The level of idiocy and incompetence is astonishing.

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

After nearly 4 decades of ME and all its delights, I am still surprised by how resistant to the obvious medicine can be.

4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is all most unfair. It must be rememberd that patients are not to be regarded as adults , to be given an accuate assessment of their condition to the best knowledge, information and belief of the practitioner, or should that be High Priest. To give them the information might hinder the recovery. It was ever thus. Withhold diagosis to speed recovery. We know it works.

And who cares about informed consent?

I suppose this is all to do with the "sickness role" which we would all so eagerly adopt, given half a chance.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

As they're told to exercise despite crippling fatigue, and advised they should banish 'negative thoughts'...No wonder doctors think their long Covid treatment is misguided
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...-told-exercise-despite-crippling-fatigue.html

I spoke to Jerome Burn (the author) before Christmas and wasn't aware that he'd finally got something published until I stumbled across this shared on Twitter. Not sure I remember saying exactly what he has quoted, and there are certainly some other details that I would query i.e.
    If only it was about exercising within our comfort levels.

Mij, Shinygleamy, Milo and 24 others like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

There is an interesting comment from Dr David Strain about microcirculation.

I also found this: https://thebiomedicalscientist.net/science/what-long-covid

This is the first I have heard of David Strain and this research. (University of Exeter Medical School)

Edit - upon Google searching, it seems @Dolphin commented something similar (post #2081) about hearing of this researcher for the first time. I can't many other details however.

lycaena, Barry, Shinygleamy and 16 others like this.
  7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apologies if this has already been shared, as it was published yesterday.

What a great article! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Patient activists had been warning that GET was 'ineffective and could be deeply damaging to patients since 2007, when the previous guidelines came out', says Andy Devereux-Cooke, co-founder of online group Science For ME.

Daily Mail: Long Covid Patients are too to exercise despite crippling fatigue

ETA: @Andy had already shared it a few posts above. Didn't realise it was the same article :)

Joh, lycaena, Barry and 12 others like this.
  8. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Guardian - Many 'long Covid' sufferers unable to work six months later

“This is a chapter that has not yet been written in the medical textbooks, and barely any major research papers yet published. Part of the progress here is simply inputting large numbers and stats to the existing anecdotal sense of what’s been happening, while aspects feel really quite novel. Nobody can address the condition until we’re better able to narrate what’s happening,” said Danny Altmann, a professor of immunology at Imperial College London.

The analysis was limited to respondents with illnesses lasting longer than 28 days, whose onset of symptoms occurred before June 2020, allowing examination of symptoms over an average six months’ duration.

Roughly 65% of respondents (2,454) reported experiencing symptoms for at least six months. The most likely symptoms to persist after six months included fatigue, post-exertional malaise, cognitive dysfunction (“brain fog”), neurological sensations, headaches, memory problems, insomnia, muscle aches, palpitations, shortness of breath, dizziness/balance issues, and speech and language problems.

Nearly 86% of respondents experienced relapses, most commonly triggered by physical activity, stress, exercise and mental activity.

9. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have people with long covid been reporting any sort of sensory issues such as difficulty with movement (even themselves moving around), difficulty with other people, light, sound etc? do they get dizziness, vertigo, pain? Have any of them starting requiring carers? Is it mostly brain fog, post exertional fatigue / malaise? I’m just curious as to what symptoms people with long covid have, and how severe it has gotten.

@rvallee i wonder if you might know, since you’ve been keeping an eye on things

Edit: sorry didn’t see @Kalliope’s post above. So they do report dizziness and pain. But I wonder about the other things I mentioned?

lycaena, Barry, Snow Leopard and 6 others like this.
  10. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

“We hope these patients are going to recover - but there’s no timescale. We’ve never treated anything like it before.

“We’re trying not to compare it to chronic fatigue or ME because this could be something purely Covid-related.”

Why are they unable to see the similarities to ME/CFS? Is it genuinely because they think ME is just tiredness? I don’t get it.

lycaena, Barry, Shinygleamy and 18 others like this.
  11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry for slow reply, been attempting to remain off duty over the break. Unfortunately this isn't something we've had capacity to advocate around due to work on NICE, and the UK volunteer team isn't back until the 11th, but I would strongly support all individuals who can email their MP about this to do so.

Barry, MEMarge, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly the sort of person I wouldn't want involved in this.

Snowdrop, sebaaa, ukxmrv and 15 others like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes to all of this, in roughly the same proportions as ME it seems. The severe end is relatively rare but seems about as disabling. Some have short episodes of this, sometimes relapses because they had good days. Some have been mostly stuck in this place for weeks and months. Growing despair from the more severe cases, it's really tragic to see it all happening with medicine committing to all the worst mistakes.

sebaaa, Mithriel, Sarah94 and 9 others like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ooof. You can say that again.
    Not sure how this fits in with stressful life events, whatever that means:

lycaena, sebaaa, ukxmrv and 8 others like this.
  16. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there a simple way to measure perfusion "we were working on this hypothesis that chronic fatigue syndrome was caused by a lack of perfusion in those vessels to the muscles and other tissues"? Did the results turn up anything?

Barry, sebaaa, ukxmrv and 2 others like this.
  17. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New (at least to me) biomedical researchers always welcome!
    Muscle wasting? In the bedbound, sure. Though whether it's a consequence of the disease or of being immobile is another question.

But in general, beyond what you'd expect from being sedentary, is muscle wasting a thing in ME? My own experience is that, if anything, my muscles seem to be remarkably resistant to wasting, despite my diligent practice of extreme sedentarism over many years.
    Microcirculation does seem to be messed up in many pwME - but again, cause or consequence? Or part of a vicious circle, initially simply a consequence but then becoming a perpetuating factor? Worth looking into, might at least lead to some symptomatic treatment.
    Does he know about DecodeME?

Snowdrop, lycaena, Barry and 9 others like this.
  18. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Muscle wasting here and not completely bed bound. Also muscles very tight/ tend to spasm.

My daughter seems to be in a catabolic state. It may be that she is running on aminos as some research suggests happens more with being female/ malabsorption issues.

Barry, Kitty, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  19. Snow Leopard

It's very high up on my list of hypotheses (in part due to a process of elimination of other factors).
    That is why I'm curious to see what their experimental hypothesis is!

JemPD, lycaena, Barry and 7 others like this.
  20. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve wondered if ME doctors would do a trial of drugs like pentoxifylline or cilostazol (normally for peripheral artery disease), especially pentoxifylline as it has some potent anti-inflammatory and immunodulating properties. They are both generic and cheap drugs too.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    ukxmrv and Kitty like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.