1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Dolphin

3. Dolphin

Mardani M. Post COVID Syndrome, Arch Clin Infect Dis. 2020 ; 15(2):e108819. doi: 10.5812/archcid.108819.
    Free full text:
    https://sites.kowsarpub.com/archcid/articles/108819.html

On a quick skim, this looks like it is mainly about ME/CFS.

However it looks frustrating e.g.
    @dave30th's article is cited:

Kitty, alktipping, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  4. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another similarity with M.E. I've seen people with M.E. who have severe physical symptoms early on, bedbound or in wheelchairs straight away, seem to recover better than the ones who seem less physically affected. Whether it's because their unable to do anything so rest at the crucial stages of the illness or whether it's the type of disease, immune process their having i don't know.

Rick Sanchez, rainy, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The weekly news show 60 minutes will have a segment on long covid tonight. It's generally a pretty good investigative reporting show. I think it should make up most of the show.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-long-haulers-60-minutes-2020-11-20/

Interesting to know the size of some of those clinics:
    Meanwhile the NIH took 3 years to do some light discussion with 23 patients. Pffft...

Seems about as good a confirmation that there's nothing so far that can differentiate LC from ME:
    If there was anything obvious, given the size of those efforts being far larger than what most ME research has done, it would have been found by now.

Except some very stupid ideas are still very much believed... after all this time... seriously still on the ridiculous PTSD, especially when it's obvious that most people in the US don't even take it seriously, especially in that 20-40 age group? :facepalm: Obviously that's just the special circumstances of NY speaking, it must have been traumatizing for many, but come on grow out of this fast.

6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wouldn't say that I had severe symptoms, but I was unable to walk or stand for longer than 10 minutes at a time which kept me disabled, so I had to sit or lie down most of the time early on. After 9 months of intensive resting, I felt mostly 'recovered' and returned to work only to become more disabled after 3-4 weeks.

7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Manchester Evening News - Frontline medic who developed Covid in the first wave describes "advent calendar" of symptoms months later
    Interview with an anonymous medic who suffers from long Covid.

...she thinks it could be years before experts start to properly understand the after-effects of the virus.

She is calling for better research into the conditions and more rehabilitation support for those suffering long-term symptoms.

“I think doctors are starting to recognise long Covid,” she says. “So many people were being told it was anxiety and being prescribed antidepressants.

“I feel like I have learnt a heck of a lot going through this. I know a lot more about ME now because some of the symptoms are very like what M.E. sufferers have.

“I’m lucky because I have a caring partner, but a lot of people have had partners walk out on them because they’ve been ill for so long.

“Friends have been very supportive, but I find it difficult to explain how I feel physically and mentally because going through it is hard to explain.

merylg, Rick Sanchez, rainy and 11 others like this.
  8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They've already had over a 100 years but chose not to.

At every point, they chose to do, worse than, nothing for their patients.

Rather than listen, believe, and study, the symptoms their patients were reporting, a decision was made, by medicine in general, that it was fine to not just ignore patients, but to......

Over 100 years....

Only one, amongst many millions of others, my life, the best part of it, 35 years, so far, is gone, because......

...and yet it's, again, 'we've never seen anything like it before, we'll study it and get back to you'

Chezboo, merylg, Michelle and 15 others like this.
  9. Mij

It made up 15 minutes of the program. I only caught the last long-hauler (a runner) at the end of the segment where she was doing leg resistance exercises.

merylg, alktipping, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  10. Colin

Colin Established Member (Voting Rights)

Heard this today around noon on ABC News Radio, only a few minutes long. There was some discussion of LC as a post-viral illness - she objected to the term on the basis that she had developed symptoms, such as loss of smell, only months into it - but no mention of ME/CFS, which made me wonder if they're trying to put us back in our box.

Amw66, merylg, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  11. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

merylg, Michelle, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  12. Dolphin

This was posted to a mailing list I am on:

13. rvallee

The report: https://www.cbsnews.com/video/covid-long-haulers-60-minutes-2020-11-22/.

By itself it was excellent. That is, if this genuinely were an entirely new thing no one had ever seen before, which was explicitly said early on in the report, it would be excellent reporting. But the doctors interviewed made those claims, so it's hard to blame the show. They went to see experts, those experts gave them false information, because they themselves were also given false information. Oh boy.

There is a quick mention of post-viral fatigue early on, saying that medicine has known about it for a long time ("known", I guess) but never seen anything this bad. Which they did, and has been explained endlessly for decades, and is very frustrating. Because they are saying the exact same things we have been saying, unable to make the connection, because this is clearly more than just fatigue, which is the exact same things we have been saying for decades. It's like fractal failure, you zoom in and it's the same failure again and you zoom in some more and, again, also the same failure.

Fortunately the comment about 9/11 wasn't about trauma but about a large cohort that got sick roughly at the same time. No psychobabble here, which is good.

But one of the doctors there said the thing that is basically the whole problem in a nutshell, the whole failure. She has long covid and although she is able to work, it is all she is able to work. She was asked if this could be psychological and says that since she experiences those symptoms, she feels like she can clearly say it's not.

Which is incompatible with professional expertise. Medicine simply doesn't work if it requires the doctors to themselves experience every disease to be able to do their job. If what it takes is for only doctors and scientists with chronic illness to make the decisions and run the research programs and clinics, then so be it, because the normal way of doing things is clearly incompatible here. But something has to give.

The same failure going back centuries and medicine is still failing exactly as bad as it ever did, with a single exception: the virus' role is recognized. So centuries of failure, millions of lives sacrificed to an insane ideology and finally, the medical profession has managed to make the leap of being able to identify that a causative factor shared by all those suffering from a chronic illness is probably responsible for it.

Which is good, but this is far worse than progress being made one funeral at a time. It's millions of funerals and decades of negligence. And all of this simply to recognize what has been obvious to the point of blatant for decades. Absurd. Simply absurd.

Chezboo, merylg, Daisymay and 15 others like this.
  14. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Spotted this on Facebook shared by the Icelandic ME Association.
    It's about a rehabilitation center in Iceland, who base their Covid-19 rehabilitation on previous experience from chronic fatigue, and therefore advice patients not to overdo things.

Recently, Heilsustofnun has received many requests for rehabilitation from people who fell ill with COVID-19 last winter and spring.

"Most of those who got the virus have varying degrees of chronic fatigue, that is, abnormal physical and mental fatigue. Many are still unable to work, more than six months after the illness. We are well aware of our experience in recent years in the treatment of chronic fatigue diseases and have the priority that people learn to control their energy and not overdo it, "says Birna and continues:

"Many people also have respiratory, cardiovascular or gastrointestinal symptoms, and these symptoms are often associated with autonomic nervous system disorders. People therefore struggle with varying degrees of repercussions that depend little on how serious the illness was at the time. Most people tolerate light heart training, but we follow these people very closely and are constantly finding out which treatments and tests are best for them. "

Fréttablaðið: Náin tengsl við náttúruna lykill að góðum árangri
    google translation: Close ties with nature are key to success

Michelle, alktipping, Kitty and 6 others like this.
  15. Mij

16. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is nothing about this report that didn’t make me upset. I mean even down to the demographics it’s exactly like ME/CFS. How much more identical to ME/CFS in symptoms, presentation, demographics, etc., does this have to be for medical community to wake up?

And like we’ve reported here before, the vast majority “up to 85%” do not have any obvious causes for their symptoms (they cannot find anything abnormal in any medical test).

Also, the autopsy findings are a potential big red herring. They are only looking at people who had severe disease and died, that isn’t the long COVID cohort.

Chezboo, Amw66, lycaena and 8 others like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is good to see a clinic that seems be careful. But even here - why are these people having 'light heart training'. I have taken part in all sorts of sports like skiing and sailing and walking all my life but never considered any need to undergo 'light heart training'. I just get out there and do what suits me.

It strikes me that we may live in a social context where deliberate exercise has become an addiction. When I was young nobody went to a gym. They were active if they wanted to be. Some people got overweight and never did anything active and probably had shorter life expectancy but nobody needed 'light heart training'.

In the last few years prescribing exercise and talking therapies have been seen as the solution to everything. Maybe the time has come to see just how fatuous this was.

18. Mij

The addiction to exercising became very evident when the gyms shut down. People were angry that they were unable exercise and demanded that they reopen gyms during an infectious pandemic. Many said it negatively affected their mental health.

I think it all started when looking fit became fashionable in the early 80's.

Shinygleamy, Daisymay, merylg and 6 others like this.
  19. rvallee

20. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think terminology is part of the problem.

Like rehabilitation. An active process, e.g. physical therapy after an injury or surgery to help patients regain as much function as possible. It wasn't used for people who've been ill with a virus, and unless they've been in ICU and need to learn to walk and speak again, it still shouldn't be. We have much better words.

Convalescence. Recuperation. Passive processes that are enabled by clinical staff, rather than imposed by them. That take as long as they take.

If you use the wrong description, you end up with the wrong expectations. Patients will want a rehabilitation centre to do something for them; the staff will expect to be able to do something for them. And then we end up with nonsense like light heart training, because no bugger can think of anything else.

EzzieD, JemPD, StefanE and 14 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.