1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Article about LongC & the Covid Symptom Study by King's College.

This was new to me:

"The King's researchers have created a piece of computer code to pick out, from the start of a coronavirus infection, who is at risk of long Covid.

It is not perfect. It correctly identifies 69% of people that go on to develop long-Covid, but also tells around a quarter of people who would recover quickly they would get long Covid too."

From what I've read on Twitter there is much criticism about the study design, many people simply stopped typing in their data because they either didn't find their symptoms represented or just gave up in general. So maybe there's a lot more people being sick after 12 weeks...

The article also refers to this awarness film by the government.

2. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am surprised there is no history of childhood abuse’ in their risk factors. Maybe that will come later (sarcastic tone)

3. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Being a young woman should be enough to do the job. And being married. Or not. And having children. Or not. ;-)

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3 doctors with long-covid interviewed on itv news meridian last night; no mention of ME/CFS.
    Re mental health of health professionals in NHS; largely due to being overstretched. ie the NHS was hugely understaffed before the pandemic, now it has even less docs, nurses etc (600 died from covid and many more off-sick): no amount of psych therapies will fix that.

Long Covid: Doctors among hundreds suffering from debilitating condition
    full article and video here:
    https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2...undreds-suffering-from-debilitating-condition

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think delusional is a very appropriate word to describe the psychosocial hypothesis PACE was based on. David's article is science journalism, not a scientific paper. Sometimes strong words are needed to get the point across.

6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if their 'prescription' will be to go to the mall and "buy something nice" like I was told by an ER doctor.

Btw, I have always bought myself something nice, but it didn't prevent me from becoming ill.

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. rvallee

“We just don’t know what’s happening in our bodies”: Covid-19 long-haulers are still suffering

https://www.vox.com/21523448/covid-long-term-effects-symptoms-damage

It sure would be great if people did just that. Sure looks like a lot of people in high places are expecting answers to come about magically without doing the work. Which is certainly familiar.
    Unfortunately uncharted entirely by choice. People have to start realizing that or nothing will happen to change what is usual practice of just hoping the problem magically goes away.

9. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm wondering what treatments are available for long-haulers if testing doesn't indicate a treatable problem? If it's post-infectious, then most doctors can't really do much at this point except wait it out because they won't know what's going on with their bodies either. They can treat insomnia, pain etc in the meantime though.

10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly. I suspect most of the doctors talking about rehab are actually talking about making stuff up as they go along, in the hope of stumbling on something that (a) doesn't make patients complain too loudly, or (b) makes them go away altogether, so they can be ticked off as 'recovered'.

11. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Theguardian aticle building on what Andy and Leila referenced

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...t-greatest-risk-of-long-covid-experts-suggest

No mention of post-viral fatigue syndrome or ME/CFS in the article.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  12. Sly Saint

Help Is Out There for COVID ‘Long Haulers’
    Clinicians should draw on knowledge surrounding chronic fatigue syndrome in treating patients suffering from the lingering effects of COVID-19.

https://www.usnews.com/news/healthi...ulers-knowledge-and-empathy-are-key-to-a-cure

Milo, alktipping, AliceLily and 12 others like this.
  13. Sly Saint

shak8, MEMarge, alktipping and 12 others like this.
  14. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. rvallee

When the Doctor Is a Covid ‘Long Hauler’

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/well/live/when-the-doctor-is-a-covid-long-hauler.html

Mostly about POTS. That doctor does not seem aware that POTS, and generally dysautonomia, are generally treated like garbage in the vast majority of cases, seems to extrapolate from her exceptional experience of not being dismissed, gaslighted and insulted that this is the norm. Very misleading, IMO. It also recommends physical reconditioning without being aware of exertion intolerance, which as far as I can tell is still not acknowledged by any medical authority, not officially anyway, thus making this very dangerous for those with PEM.
    I really don't see how. A few fortunate ones have a not-so-horrible experience but for most of us we only get frowny puzzled faces that quickly redirects to "anxiety" about this "syndrome of yours".

Not very aware of how most people can't simply casually do their job from home, reclined and with money to pay the bills coming in nicely. Very rosy picture, to the point of misleading, of the experience of most POTS/dysautonomia patients. Which hopefully will improve in the coming months and years but for now this is a very aspirational fantasy that simply does not exist in most cases.

Chezboo, alktipping, sebaaa and 12 others like this.
  16. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

COVID-19 effects can be persistent and serious say doctors suffering 'long COVID'

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/...arn-long-term-effects-can-be-serious/12785934

Hutan, Michelle, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  17. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Sly Saint

COVID-19 effects can be persistent and serious say doctors suffering 'long COVID'

ABC
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/...arn-long-term-effects-can-be-serious/12785934

19. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

SVT: 25 000 svenskar kan ha långtidscovid
    https://www.svt.se/nyheter/vetenskap/25-000-svenskar-kan-ha-langtidscovid

Michelle, alktipping, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  20. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Now they just need to get their heads around the fact that the apps were problematic, some users gave up because, despite complaining that many of their symptoms weren't included in the app and were too cumbersome to keep manually adding in every day, they were ignored.

By the very questions they asked they made certain assumptions (inevitable) and they need to bear that in mind as it may have meant that some information of unknown importance was lost. It's very important that they don't become blinkered by their initial assumptions.

Let's hope they remember that causation ≠ correlation.

Let's also hope they remember that keeping people from further harm is as important as helping people and that it would be a refreshing change to actually use the information gathered to improve medical and social care rather than as a tool to deny access care and benefits.

They have some information but not all.

merylg, Wits_End, Michelle and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.