1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bateman Horne Center published a video yesterday about clinical concerns of Long Covid. Pretty good. The video is 1h but the latter half of it is answering questions so the presentation is a bit under 30 minutes.

It uses prior knowledge from ME and FM as well as presents some of the recent evidence. Not much to learn to regular readers here but good overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchUFeSgry0

sebaaa, Mij, Simbindi and 8 others like this.
  2. rvallee

Long-term COVID-19 symptoms in a large unselected population

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.07.20208702v1

3. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A bit chilling what happened to the 70yr old woman post Covid after "gentle" exercise regimen by a PT.

sebaaa, rvallee, Mij and 6 others like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is interesting - though we can have people like Wessely talking about how badly ME/CFS patients can be treated, and wishing that his colleague would take CFS more seriously... though not so much recently, now that it's inescapable that they've shaped the way patients are treated. The Norwegian Competence Service for CFS/ME and the NIPH have been (and still are) pretty appalling, so if this is sign of some people from there moving towards an apology that's a positive thing.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    sebaaa, Mij, Simbindi and 9 others like this.
  5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm afraid nobody currently at the Norwegian Competence Service for CFS/ME or NIPH seems to be changing any views. Dr. Tveito left her position at the National Competence Service for CFS/ME several years ago and it was afterwards things really went downhill. The first doctor at the Competence Service, Barbara Baumgarten Austrheim, was marvellous. Frightening how so much comes down to having right people in the right positions.

sebaaa, rainy, rvallee and 14 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

We additionally observe that individuals who had an initial symptom of dyspnea are significantly more likely to develop long-term symptoms.

Interesting. Some form of hypoxia?

7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I doubt it. The dyspnea likely just reflects a more substantial and prolonged infection.

The question about how cheap pulse-ox meters can be misleading was quite on-point. The problem can often be poor circulation in the extremities, rather than a lung deficiency. Generally speaking, even if there is long term lung damage (fibrosis etc), that reduces lung capacity, this won't reduce oxygen at rest. It will only cause hypoxia when undergoing significant exertion that reaches the lungs limits. Generally speaking most people have lung capacity that exceeds their heart/vascular capacity, unless they are highly trained athletes.
    The sensation of shortness of breath is an effort-based indicator - it is because the brain is not yet used to the reduced lung capacity and is increasing the ventilation rate to compensate, hence increased perceived breathing effort.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    alktipping, Michelle, Amw66 and 6 others like this.
  8. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was just commenting on a post on FB about a new patient with ME that is also experiencing shortness of breath (she did not mention whether she had COVID or another onset).
    My onset was EBV. I started having shortness of breath perhaps 10 months after onset. It was not an out of shape thing. At that stage I was trying to keep myself occupied and occasionally get out of the house and go on very short walks, walking very slowly. (like no more than 200 m from my car)- I was short of breath then. it did not make sense. I also had chest pain- which were related and reproduced on a tilt table test when I was diagnosed with POTS. At that time, I had a hacking cough that was not explained by anything- and was diagnosed with mild asthma with a respiratory test which I forgot the name-
    I still occasionally experience shortness of breath, out of the blue, especially if I try to talk and walk at the same time- and even if I walk very slowly within my energy bubble when usually I would not be short of breath.

That person mentioned in the beginning of the post is also short of breath. While she may have another diagnosis or something else is going on, and of course I am no doctor and cannot diagnose anyone, especially on the internet- in my experience shortness of breath is not out of the ordinary- and it should be investigated to rule out other things.

alktipping, ahimsa, merylg and 3 others like this.
  9. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But they do realize medical economies like streamlined reasoning, stripped bare of some unessential, and essential, thought and effort.

10. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sure, but first you have to understand what it is you're looking at before you go defining it. If you narrow your field too soon then you miss important information.

It may well be necessary to make assumptions to give you a starting point but you then have to keep in mind that those were assumptions and therefore might be wrong and constantly look for evidence that they might be wrong.

There's been a very poor track record of this. For example the assumption that exercise cannot harm & ignoring patients efforts to report the harms based on your assumption being more valid than patient testimony.

Not recording harms and outcomes in clinics because of an unshakeable belief that the therapy can't harm.

Assuming patients who disappear are recovered and counting them as recovered because you have no record of harms & therefore your building block assumption that exercise cannot harm is wrongly reinforced.

11. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was just being silly. I agree with you 100%. There are many things I struggle to convey these days, and sarcasm is one. My bad.

But to your point that I highlighted, only in a good world with no agenda other that pure scientific inquiry. This is not a good world, and pretty much everyone has an agenda based on greed or misinformation, or job security, or power grab, or fear, or even legacy. Worse, today, it can be overt, and there is little in the form of repercussions to those who indulge in sleight-of-hand-medical-inquiry.

alktipping, Kitty, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  12. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

LongC on GMB; just mentioning "fatigue".
    Some chitchat with a doctor who's husband is suffering from LongC.
    At least, it seems to get a lot more attention in main stream media now.

alktipping, Milo, Kitty and 8 others like this.
  13. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:hug:. Not at all.

That's the trouble - something that's so glaringly obvious to us and yet researchers and those involved in public health and policy making (and very well paid from the public purse) seem oblivious.

Even if they are genuinely that clueless over first principles those who should have oversight or those who control the funds should see it. But no. Never any financial repercussions and the gravy train rolls on.

I admit, I sometimes lose perspective. Can't tell if I'm the one divorced from reality or them. It's like taking gaslighting to a whole new level.

alktipping, Kitty, duncan and 3 others like this.
  14. rvallee

I lost my voice to COVID-19

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/covid-19-long-haulers-oped/Content?oid=83315362

And that is exactly how medicine completely screwed up Long Covid. It failed at acknowledging a massive problem for decades and now we have to face the absurdity of predictable problem being out of control with no one knowing what to do or even to begin with. Instead most seem to have this imaginary version of how it should end: "recovery". Even though no one can actually define it, for the same reason: the problem was never acknowledged and now the oldest problem in medicine continues to birth all new problems while continuing to grow the old failures that are somehow generally presented as a success.

Rejecting reality and substituting your own never works, never will. So why is it actual common practice in medicine?

15. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's like they make invisible the actual physical debility that is the cause of the psychological and social stressors.

It's good to have psychological support but it is not a substitute for medicine working toward finding solutions that reduce or eliminate the physical disease process.

And they include social impact but I wonder what kind of support is available in that category for L-C people. No doubt to the BPS cabal psychological support is social support because the psyche and the social are one in some misguided non-dualist fantasy.

merylg, alktipping, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  16. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A Komaroff on Long Covid and parallels to ME

The tragedy of the post-COVID “long haulers”

"Long-haulers include two groups of people affected by the virus:

• Those who experience some permanent damage to their lungs, heart, kidneys, or brain that may affect their ability to function.
    • Those who continue to experience debilitating symptoms despite no detectable damage to these organs.
    Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health, has speculated that many in the second group will develop a condition called myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). ME/CFS can be triggered by other infectious illnesses — such as mononucleosis, Lyme disease, and severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), another coronavirus disease. The National Academy of Medicine estimates there are one million to two million people in the US with ME/CFS.

Dr. Tedros Ghebreyesus, director of the World Health Organization, also has expressed growing concern about the chronic illnesses that may follow in the wake of COVID-19, including ME/CFS."

merylg, EzzieD, Michelle and 12 others like this.
  17. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Medscape Long COVID 'May Be Four Syndromes'
    "We believe that the term 'long COVID' is being used as a catch-all for more than one syndrome, possibly up to four," said Dr Elaine Maxwell, the review's author.

She told a briefing hosted by the Science Media Centre (SMC) that while some patients experience "classic post-critical illness symptoms", others reported "fatigue and brain fog in a way that's consistent with post viral fatigue syndrome".

merylg, sebaaa, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is her full quote that I have seen in a number of places:

merylg, sebaaa, Kitty and 7 others like this.
  19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ent-syndromes-scientists-admit-dont-know.html

I haven't followed a lot of the links that were posted today. But this contains more comments from the "experts" than I have seen in some pieces I have flicked through today.

20. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.