1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah I don’t think it’s because that’s when the advertising standard agency’s might step in, or risk of legal liability increases, I think it’s more nuanced and complex than that. In fact it would be reductionist and dualistic thinking to suggest otherwise.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
    Sean, alktipping, bobbler and 2 others like this.
  2. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Umm me too @JemPD

And all your points above. Have they not thought of these?

I think they probably have, and there is some mysterious motivational factor to account for why they just decided to go ahead and attempt to profit from this -real but also not real- framework anyhow.

A complete mystery :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
    Sean, RedFox, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

:emoji_dart:

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't see how it's any different from the mainstream CBT-for-deconditioning-slash-illness-beliefs stuff. The only difference is the language, and barely at that. The substance is the exact same, and so is the message. There's plenty of it in the past that is just as bad.

There used to be a slim veil of academic language to it, but it was always clearly for effect and used with purpose to mislead. The literature is filled with awareness that the patients reject it all and recommendations to use pseudoscientific language to hide it. A distinction without a difference for this particular programme.

sebaaa, Mij, EzzieD and 11 others like this.
  5. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was wondering if we should just welcome the fact that they'd found a home for the faithful & that hopefully they'd stick to talking to (their) faithful. Tad annoyed that they're looking for donations --- could that be enough to report them to the police?

Jonathan's post here comes to mind --- we could just keep repeating NICE --- "low or very low quality evidence"
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/chron...c-fatigue-consortium.35388/page-3#post-495402

EzzieD, Sean, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  6. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

and doesn’t square with the rate of people dumped into CFS bucket who were misdiagnosed and eventually are confirmed as having on those conditions listed. If they are allowed past the ‘no investigations it only encourages them’ nonsense of the old guidelines after they’ve been checked fir the basics (if they ever were)

rvallee, ukxmrv, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Grift.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

We can do better than that. More than 80% is "very low quality", with the remainder being merely "low quality". (Can't remember the exact numbers.)

Hard to get much worse than that.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
    MEMarge, rvallee, FMMM1 and 8 others like this.
  9. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yip and I find it frustrating that rather than running studies with objective outcome criteria [seems you can barely go to the park without bumping into someone with a FitBit], i.e. to objectively assess the intervention, they just make up the results - what's the point of doing science like that? OK there are reasons to do "science like that"---.

JellyBabyKid, Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  10. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Company = LIVING PROOF ENTERPRISES LTD Company number SC735862 https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/SC735862

Sole Director: GEORGE, Penny Anne .. Role Active , Director .. Appointed on 17 June 2022, Nationality Scottish, Country of residence Scotland, Occupation Consultant

Linked In: Penny George, Independent Consultant at the Sky Within - Ethical Consulting for Global Sustainable Development & Director of Living Proof - New Insights into Chronic Pain & Illness, Penny George’s Post Are you living with chronic pain or other unexplained chronic symptoms? Do you feel you've tried everything modern medicine and alternative approaches have to offer? Don't give up - there is a way out... come along to our workshop in Falkland, Fife on 26th August to find out more about the scientifically-evidenced neuroplastic approach to treating chronic pain and other conditions such as fatigue, IBS, and tinnitus. Led by facilitators who themselves have resolved years of chronic illness and pain, and are now passionate about sharing their knowledge with others.

Ambassador at Living Proof = Louise McAllan

Chronic stress is making us sick.
    I can help you to get better.

Welcome to my website- if you have found your way here then you are possibly suffering and looking for a way out. I'm sorry that you are suffering. And I'm so glad you are here.

I know what it is like to be struggling with intolerable daily symptoms, to have tried everything and to have had every test to be told that "we can't find anything wrong". For life to get smaller and smaller until you can't remember who you are any more without this fog. I understand completely, and I'm here to give you hope because I got better, and so can you.

Prolonged emotional stress can have a profound effect on the body and cause a range of debilitating chronic symptoms and health conditions. This is now a scientific fact and is not new knowledge although it might feel like it-because it is a completely different way of thinking about our health and our bodies than many of us are used to. This is not 'take medicine or have an operation and feel better'- in this modality we are the medicine we seek and healing comes from working with and regulating the natural processes of the brain and nervous system. We start by resolving our symptoms and in the process come home to ourselves, to who we can be. We come back to life.

Although this approach might be a new way of thinking and might feel radical, there are many skilled doctors and practitioners who have been working in this field for decades, developing evidence based approaches which are helping thousands of people out of the fog of chronic persistent symptoms on an everyday basis. These techniques are non-invasive, readily accessible, evidence based and life changing and I want to show you the way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Living Proof Enterprises is a company limited by Guarantee which is the usual form for a 'not for profit company' and the guarantor is Penny George. It's not a charity but it is a legal entity entitled to solicit donations and undertake business.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2023
    Ash, Sean, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

So irresponsible. Why do they keep doing it? Answer - to make money from desperate people.

Ash, FMMM1, Solstice and 5 others like this.
  12. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This post has been copied and following discussion moved from Opinion: ‘You don’t want to get better’: the outdated treatment of ME/CFS patients is a national scandal - George Monbiot

If he has any wisdom at all Paul Garner should be reflecting that he doesn’t know his BPS bedfellows as well as he thinks he does. Sometimes the barrel of a gun looks a lot like a Guardian news article.

I’m very grateful for all the work recently and over the years that has made it possible for George Monbiot to take this on.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2024
  13. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2024
  14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think Garner ever claimed he was cured by the Lightning Process. He preferred to spend his money on scuba diving holidays. He seems to have bee cured by a mysterious phone call from a psychiatrist friend in the USA if I remember rightly. Although there was something about contacting some nice people in Norway as well I think.

Ah yes, he remembers it well!

Mij, MEMarge, Peter Trewhitt and 18 others like this.
  15. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seemed pretty clear but he never stated it publicly. He said he was cured after speaking by phone and consulting with a PhD candidate from Norway, who presumably couled have been or was Live Landmark, who is getting her doctorate in psychology.

16. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I may be mis-remembering this but wasn't the student in the phone call associated with Henrik Vogt?
    Also didn't Trisha Greenhalgh travel to Norway as some sort of procedural opponent to him receiving his PhD, i.e. to give him an easy ride?
    Trisha Greenhalgh and Paul Garner have become the BBC's go to people for Long Covid & ME replacing Wessely.
    It's a small (BPS) world!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  17. MrMagoo

I will admit I’m prone to misremembering accurately.
    Edit -I meant inaccurately!
    At the same time it feels, to me at least, that there was some “hinting” or “breadcrumbs up the garden path” blurring of him having ME.

So Garner recovered from Long Covid.
    He contracted it around the first UK lockdown, March 2020. He was unwell after that for some time, however was running 5-10k within 3/4 months and doing BMF, and scuba diving in the Caribbean? within 6/7 by October? where he contracted Dengue fever.

He just met the Long Covid criteria. Just. Had the clinics been running, he may have been referred, equally he may not, given his exercise capabilities.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    ukxmrv, EzzieD, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  18. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Landmark is associated with Henrik Vogt through Recovery Norway. You also remember correctly that Greenhalgh was an opponent on Vogt's PhD in medical ethics.

19. MrMagoo

20. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It attracts people who like the idea of having special insight and standing in contrast to the unenlightened masses.

Garner told his story of recovery as if it was a test of character that he passed.

Perhaps what makes people vulnerable to BPS ideas is deep down feeling like illness is the result of a character flaw (which is approximately the message by the BPS model). What happens then if you believe this and suddenly become "one of those patients"? Maybe going around the internet and media telling the story of how they overcame their illness makes sure everybody knows they're a good person and shouldn't be punished.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    Solstice, Hutan, ukxmrv and 19 others like this.