Opinion Chronic fatigue syndromes: real illnesses that people can recover from, 2023, The Oslo Chronic Fatigue Consortium

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Sep 23, 2023.

1. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Precisely --- unfortunately after that's been repeated to them ad nauseam they still claim to hold the view that they have effective treatments. Crawley (SMILE study - Lightning Process) even dropped the objective (primary) outcomes (school attendance) since they showed no improvement and used the subjective (secondary) outcomes (self-assessment questionnaires) to claim success.
    Either, as per Jonathan's comment above, they are incapable of objectively assessing evidence --- I find that hard to believe; or --

Does anyone believe that Crawley et al, as parents, would have their child treated using the Lightning Process and expect success?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The simple and terrible truth for these poor people can be found in the bible:

Mene, mene, tekel upharsin.

3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I bloody well hope so!

Ash, Peter Trewhitt, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

?
    Google translate has failed me on this one.

Nellie, Peter Trewhitt, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  5. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hope someone will submit a commentary or rebuttal. I will not, but wanted to share my initial notes and comments in case these are useful for others to write their comment.

The Oslo Chronic Fatigue Consortium claims to provide an “alternative view” and a “new perspective” on chronic fatigue syndromes, but its statements are nearly identical to what Wessely and colleagues proposed in 1989. Rather than a fresh perspective, it seems to offer old wine in new bottles.

A psychosomatic interpretation has long been the dominant approach to fatigue syndromes until several randomized trials provided contrary evidence. The PACE, FINE, GETSET, FITNET and QURE trials all found no treatment effect at long-term follow-up. A gradual approach to increase activity and cognitive behavioral therapy do not help patients recover or get back to work. To state otherwise, is contrary to the scientific evidence.

Additionally, patients have reported in multiple surveys that graded activity therapy worsens their health. It is strange that the Oslo Chronic Fatigue Consortium does not address this issue as potential harms should be clinicians’ first concern (primum non nocere).

While the consortium states that “the patients’ voice is important” it does not seem to have included anyone who currently has ME/CFS or is a representative of a ME/CFS patient organization. The lack of patient involvement might explain the consortium’s curious claim that “inactivity, isolation, and sensory deprivation” are a coping mechanism rather than the direct consequence of the illness. ME/CFS patients do not experience this as a choice but as an unavoidable constraint that the illness imposes on them.

It is unclear why advocacy groups should promote personal stories of recovery as the consortium suggests. Such stories often attribute improvement to dubious remedies such as food supplements, candida diet, The Lightning Process, craniocervical surgery, or avoidance of microwaves. In contrast, we believe that advocacy groups should focus on evidence-based information.

Chronic fatigue syndromes are more complex than what the Oslo Chronic Fatigue Consortium maintains. Rather than promoting an old hypothesis, we invite the authors to remain open-minded and study these illnesses without preconceptions. The DecodeME-study is an example of an alternative approach that aims to perform a (genome-wide) analysis of ME/CFS without presumptions.​

6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ash, Yvonne, Peter Trewhitt and 12 others like this.
  7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was excellent, @ME/CFS Skeptic ! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

“the patients’ voice is important”

Unless it disagrees with them.

Anybody else getting the sense these guys are in the bargaining phase? Trying to salvage something, anything from their train wreck.

But to strike a bargain you must have something of value to offer the other party.

They got nothing we need or want. There is no bargain to be made.

Ash, Yvonne, Dolphin and 16 others like this.
  9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The patient's voice is important they said, while opposing and misrepresenting the majority patient voice.

Ash, Yvonne, Dolphin and 19 others like this.
  10. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does saying this make the patients less difficult? What proportion of them ask for the evidence?

Ash, Tal_lula, Peter Trewhitt and 8 others like this.
  11. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's from Daniel, about God having numbered the days of your kingdom.

Ash, Tal_lula, Peter Trewhitt and 4 others like this.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ash, Tal_lula, Peter Trewhitt and 5 others like this.
  14. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These authors said pwME"...perceive symptoms as threatening...", well, it wouldn't be smart to ignore the threat of imminent fainting if a pwME has POTS, and has been upright long enough that they start to feel faint. Common sense, and self preservation have to come into the picture somewhere. It appears that this is what the BPS'ers are trying to eliminate in pwME, common sense, and the natural human drive for self preservation.

Ash, Dolphin, Tal_lula and 12 others like this.
  15. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Assessed & found to have failed --- by NICE --- nice one Jonathan.

16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

The last point is, I believe,a veiled reference to the NICE guidelines specific exclusion of LP.

Ash, Yvonne, FMMM1 and 12 others like this.
  17. DokaGirl

Thank you @Hutan, for the "NHS doctors with Long Covid article. Their descriptions and experiences of medical and institutional mistreatment are of course all very familiar to me, and doubtless millions of pwME.

For some of these doctors, these experiences will be new. An unfortunate way to learn about how patients with controversial diseases are treated. I don't know if they will be able to accomplish much change in attitudes and systems, but hopefully that will be the case somewhere down the line.

Ash, Yvonne, Dolphin and 10 others like this.
  18. DokaGirl

Yes, in the beginning, pwME do activities, not expecting negative repercussions.

With experience, we learn that exertion may cause post exertional symptom increases.

However, there are still activities of daily living that pwME have to do, or choose to do, despite exertion causing symptom increases.

Yvonne, Dolphin, Tal_lula and 11 others like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am surprised at the deficiency of your religious and musical (Walton) education, Trish! But each to their own.

Aramaic: Thou hast been weighed in the balance and found wanting. (Somehow it also means all your chattels will be sent to the Medes and Persians.)

No real need to translate though.

It is commonly known as The Writing on The Wall.
    image.png

20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

:D I'm very good at forgetting.
    I should have googled it instead trying google translate it.