1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion Chronic fatigue syndromes: real illnesses that people can recover from, 2023, The Oslo Chronic Fatigue Consortium

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Sep 23, 2023.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care
    By The Oslo Chronic Fatigue Consortium

Chronic fatigue syndromes: real illnesses that people can recover from

Abstract:

The ‘Oslo Chronic Fatigue Consortium’ consists of researchers and clinicians who question the current narrative that chronic fatigue syndromes, including post-covid conditions, are incurable diseases. Instead, we propose an alternative view, based on research, which offers more hope to patients. Whilst we regard the symptoms of these conditions as real, we propose that they are more likely to reflect the brain's response to a range of biological, psychological, and social factors, rather than a specific disease process.

Possible causes include persistent activation of the neurobiological stress response, accompanied by associated changes in immunological, hormonal, cognitive and behavioural domains.

We further propose that the symptoms are more likely to persist if they are perceived as threatening, and all activities that are perceived to worsen them are avoided.

We also question the idea that the best way to cope with the illness is by prolonged rest, social isolation, and sensory deprivation.Instead, we propose that recovery is often possible if patients are helped to adopt a less threatening understanding of their symptoms and are supported in a gradual return to normal activities.

Finally, we call for a much more open and constructive dialogue about these conditions. This dialogue should include a wider range of views, including those of patients who have recovered from them.

2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This consists of names including Asprusten, Brurberg, Chalder, Fink, Flottorp, Fors, Garner, Knoop, Landmark, Reme, Sharpe, Vogt, Wyller and more

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
  3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lolno. I'm not afraid of giving myself PEM because I haven't got LTSE, I've done tons of things I wanted to do that gave me PE., and I've remained severely ill with what they call "mild" ME for 5 years now.

4. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The same people, pushing the same trash, with the same minimal degree of evidence, using the argument that we should give their nonsensical screeds the same weight as biomedical science in the name of "openness". Nothing new here, move along.

5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They write "It is time for another perspective", but then repeat the same old dogma that has never worked when reasonable standards of evidence are applied.

It feels like the authors are asking us to validate the comforting lie they have chosen to believe.

Patients don't behave the way they do for no good reason. It brings us no pleasure to suffer inactivity, social isolation, and deprivation from so many good things. We just can't bear normal activity and stimulation. It's a long hard road to accept this unpleasant reality. The authors instead are letting themselves go to a comforting lie.

It also makes me curious what kind of problems these people have in their own lives. They should do some introspection and strive for some more maturity instead of spending time publishing articles where they misexplain the illness to people living with it. Maybe overcome their own fear of admitting the existence of chronic untreatable health problems?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It rather makes a mockery of the suggestion that Brurberg, Floptop and Garner are Independent Experts on Evidence Assessment.

I wonder how much this Consortium charges for its services?

7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

lol i love the way they position themselves as 'questioning the current narrative', what a joke! :rofl:
    they are the ones who wrote the 'current narrative' - which is that all symptoms are reversible with CBT & GEt

thats been the narrative for a couple/3 decades and is as strong now as it ever was afaics!

They are the doinant establishment not the 'questioners'.

8. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This could be caused by the internet sites I frequent, but from my point of view there seems to be nothing but BPS and hysteria on offer these days. Of course it isn't called hysteria, but that is what is meant.

9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Doesn’t look like the journal takes e-letters unfortunately

And it’s all open access with a fee it seems

https://www.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?show=instructions&journalCode=ipri20

Article Publishing Charge
    The standard article publishing charge (APC) for this journal is EUR 2,110. Publication in the SJPHC requires payment of a fee. If the first author of an article is a fully accredited member of one of the Nordic societies for general practice, i.e. Dansk Selskab for Almen Medicin, Félag islenska heimilislækna, Norsk forening for allmenmedisin, Suomen yleislääketieteen yhdistys SYLY, Svensk Förening för allmänmedicin, they will be eligible to receive a 30% discount to the Article Processing Charge (APC) for publishing their work. For non-members, all longer articles accepted for publication (such as Original Articles, Qualitative Papers, Quantitative Papers, Systematic Reviews) will be charged a publication fee of EUR 2,110 (USD 2,195 / GBP 1,756), plus VAT or other local taxes where applicable in your country. For shorter articles accepted for publication (such as Discussion, Analysis Papers and Short Papers) for non-members there will be a publication fee of EUR 1,060(USD 1,100 / GBP 880), plus VAT or other local taxes where applicable in your country. There is no submission charge.

Please visit the APC Cost Finder page to find the APC applicable to your specific country and article type.

If you are based at an institution or associated with a funder that has an open access publishing agreement with Taylor & Francis, you might be eligible for APC support. Please see details here.

We offer discounts and waivers for authors in developing countries as defined by the World Bank, either 50% or 100% depending on where the institution of the corresponding author is located. Please see details here.

We will consider requests for discretionary waivers from researchers who aren’t eligible under the above policies. Please note that discounts must be applied at the Charges stage of the submission process when the APC quote is confirmed and may not be considered after submission.

If you have any questions about eligibility, please use the Contact Us form.

10. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peddling the same old, same old mumbo jumbo and presenting this as 'hope' is horrid.

Patients 'perceive' their symptoms as threatening. I mean come on. Seriously :wtf:

"we call for a much more open and constructive dialogue" Who has been avoiding any such for decades? I wonder who.... (sarcasm off).

11. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does this mean you can stump up the sum and publish any old ....... ?

12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These people don't have a freaking clue. They just write the same nonsense over and over again.

And, no, they don't believe that the "symptoms are real". They mean something else entirely, some BS about fear or whatever. The same crap peddled for over a century.

It's fanatics like this that give medicine a bad name and ruined the credibility of the profession. Get lost, boring quacks.

13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

These guys are so predictable. Assert you beliefs often enough and whinge about researcher harassment often enough and somehow everyone is supposed to believe this crap is evidence based medicine.

Peter Trewhitt, Ash, EndME and 21 others like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's also remarkable how they either just don't pay attention to reality, or simply don't care.

We've had 3.5 years of Long Covid. It's obvious that most recover early on. But past 6 months, an arbitrary time that was always disputed as important by the patient community, it becomes very rare. So this is how the false perception has developed. Because of them. Because of their complete incompetence. And actually it looks more like 3 months, which is what the update NICE guidelines used, and which they dispute because they have this talent for always being wrong.

Looking into what is happening to those with Long Covid who fit the ME/CFS subtype, we can clearly see that remissions and recoveries happen. 3 months is not some magical threshold where one illness becomes another. Recovery is the norm, but it usually happens early on for reasons that are very relevant to the cause, pathology and treatment.

Same with those who don't have PEM but feature significant dysautonomia. So do relapses. Relapses are common, weeks or even months after what seemed to be full recovery. Often worse than before, and nothing that hasn't been reported for decades. People who then got back to their old routines. Some have testified of being stuck at 90-95%, sometimes for months. Some have relapsed. Some have stuck there. Some have dropped off, possibly dead.

But in the whole community, one thing you won't find is any hope or respect for what these charlatans and clinicians are doing in general. No one in the LC community looks up to medicine for answers. There is hope for basic research paving the way, but almost everyone knows, understands and communicates the fact that remissions and recoveries are a matter of chance.

No one knows what factors play the biggest role, other than PEM and the very real harm of exertion. As a huge community, long haulers have tried everything, and no effective treatment has come out of it. If anything, holding on to hope has been the big thing in the last year. Keeping a strong mindset, not giving up. Especially when the desperate ones come out and cry for help. It's the dominant message lately. Everything these charlatans are selling, it's all there, at least in terms of attitude, certainly the opposite when it comes to exertion, and they either don't know or don't care.

But they pay no attention to the outside world. They only look inward, at what they think and believe, at what they have been saying and promising for decades, at what's good for them and them alone. Which is the same crap as here. The failed dominant paradigm, which they bizarrely claim to be challenging. Which is either delusional, or just insane level of pathological lying. Or simply being completely full of shit and not caring about anything but themselves. This may as well be oil company executives writing about their novel idea of basing our entire economies on oil. What a bunch of absurd nonsense.

But this story is on full display, there are millions of testimonies of this. It's easy to find, but they are either too lazy or too indifferent to do any of it. Or maybe just pretend that the overlap with Long Covid is not significant, which they know is BS as they went for the money and have made the same lies yet again. Instead they just peddle the same nonsense yet again, the same way as they've always done. Even though it's failed miserably.

Worse than everything I'm so sick of their constant lying. Their words are completely worthless, these people have no honor.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
  15. sneyz

sneyz Established Member (Voting Rights)

Cartel would be more fitting than consortium at this point. They’re way past the threshold of vicious competition anyway. Imagine studying and researching a whole career, only to achieve a perfect display of what is so carefully described in the literature that shapes their profession as psychologists… The more the field of ME progresses, the more wrong they are, the deeper they dig themselves in. Truth is sacrificed at the altar of the ego. The fun part is that this exact behavior is so well characterized in every book on decision making. The assertion that psychology applies to everyone except the psychologist is just another holy paradox, hinged upon belief, and nonsensical to a non-believer. Why can’t they just build in to their models source and receiver signatures like other reputable scientists? Unbelievable!

16. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

After spluttering in impotent fury for years over the religious tenacity of these people who seem to have no insight into their own stuck beliefs, I happened to find this article which explains it, to me at least. Why these influential psychologists, of all people, do not question their own beliefs as a matter of course when they do their research etc. is frankly outrageous.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...tually-is-belief-and-why-is-it-so-hard-change

17. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

That is a nice article @oldtimer. But, I quibble over this:
    I think I've mentioned before how, when visiting some people in a village in a very remote part of the highlands of Mindanao, I met a young man who had, completely uninstructed in formal science (in fact he'd never been to school) made a randomised block experiment to test the efficacy of a range of possible natural fertilisers on a sweet potato crop. Science doesn't require training, it's a way of thinking, a reflection of intellect and curiosity. (Not to say that people with good levels of intellect and curiosity can't also subscribe to all sorts of beliefs also.) Our species has survived partly because of the innate capacity for skepticism and experimentation and ability to change, perhaps not in everyone all the time, but certainly in some, some of the time.

I think it's worth remembering that, as it helps guard against eminence-based medicine and science, where we think that it is only people with PhDs who could possibly 'do science'. That young man in Mindanao did a lot more science in his sweet potato trial than is in that paper by the Oslo Chronic Fatigue Consortium, a piece of propaganda that apparently required the trained minds of at least 51 'researchers and clinicians'.

18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Clearly we must be masochists. People who want to be losers and suffer.

Exactly. Somehow they are the only neutral objective honest players in the game. The only ones with a view from nowhere. Everybody else, especially their critics, are ignorant, incompetent, biased, disingenuous, and dishonest.

In fairness, it is all they have left.

19. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

exactly. they've lost control of the narrative and they want it back, which is understandable. but it was their narrative for decades and it produced nothing.

20. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

We've seen these papers with a cast of dozens before. It's as if they are doing science by a popularity vote. 'We must be right because we have 51 people who are prepared to put their name to this'. What's a good name for that sort of "science"?

Before anyone suggests, that's a bit 'pot calling the kettle black' from someone involved in trying to effect change by a running a petition, I'd point out that we are only calling for a review that has already been recognised as flawed to be removed, and either progress on a quality review or abandoning the effort. We aren't maligning a whole patient group without evidence and calling it science.

It's interesting how the BPS people seem to be marshalling an army of the "recovered", to, I assume, counteract the growing army of the Long Covid.
    I'm not sure how that will work out for them. Yes, there are a lot of people who have recovered.
    Most of the recovered will just be pleased to be functioning again and won't have much interest in being part of a campaign. Perhaps some will want to believe that their superior personality or some supplement mixture that they have a trademark on is responsible for them recovering and will want to tell the world.

But, some of those NHS doctors with Long Covid seem pretty fired up. I think I'd back an army of them against an army that mostly doesn't even know it's in the fight.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023