1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 3rd May 2021 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Patient experiences of Dr Gabrielle Murphy

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sly Saint, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Taken from a blog originally from 2011 but the comments go on to 2018;

other comments:

in the interest of being equipoise, a more positive comment (although Dr Murphy knew that the patient was a medical student):

full blog here:
    http://itsallaboutmememeandme.blogspot.com/2011/09/hospital-appointment.html

eta: another NICE guideline committee member

eta2: (note also BACME member, and one of the medical advisers [another one is Esther Crawley] for Sussex and Kent ME/CFS Society [aka measussex])

eta3: she was the Chair of BACME

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. Sly Saint

Royal Free Fatigue service:

https://www.royalfree.nhs.uk/servic...e-service/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-treatment/

eta: good job they didn't take this approach with the original
    'Royal Free outbreak' .... they clearly haven't learned from their own history.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Wonko, Amw66, Invisible Woman and 2 others like this.
  3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is no biological marker for this disease which produces physical distress, overlaps depression (particularly when low thresholds for that diagnosis are set), and is associated with occupational handicap. However, doctors have a range of skills to help patients with biological, psychological, and social problems. These can be used to help patients with CFS depending on individual need. It is unnecessary and indeed unproductive to force patients into unsuitable diagnostic categories as a condition for treatment. It may be more productive at present to define problems with patients and help to plan problem-solving measures with them.

Read together with the above comments about Murphy, this quotation from a 1991 paper shows just how Wessely and co have boxed in their colleagues with CBT and GET, and the loss of flexibility and professional judgment that has resulted.

4. Unable

Unable Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or put another way:

Evidence shows that when a therapy fails to produce results, patients demonstrate a reduced commitment to continuing with therapy.

Wonder why that would be? How can they honestly tell the difference?

5. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How many cancer patients continue with chemotherapy that isn't working? As usual blame the patient, not the therapy.

6. deboruth

deboruth Established Member (Voting Rights)

This isn't what the post-war Labour government intended for the National Health Service. The NHS structure as presently constituted provides zero incentive to help patients, let alone make them well. It provides every incentive to get along within a rigid, stagnant bureaucracy. Bureaucracies in general are vulnerable to being led by persons lacking in empathy (this has been reported in serious psychological research.) Ergo the NHS structure enforces lack of empathy, in particular to any thing or person that is non-conforming. So this unkind, narrow-minded and incurious woman is a well-paid big cheese. And you only get one option for care! So if a doctor makes an error on the first go round you are doomed......This is unethical as well as illogical. I've never before heard of doctors so lacking in interest of getting people well.

7. deboruth

deboruth Established Member (Voting Rights)

May we know the bibliographical reference for the 1991 paper please?

Amw66 likes this.
  8. chrisb

Sorry. I expired before making my point. A constitutional failing. And my intended epitaph.

Journal of Infection (199I) 23, 263-269

Biopsychosocial aspects of chronic fatigue syndrome (myalgic encephalomyelitis)

J. D. I. Yeomans* and S. P. Conwayt * Department of Psychiatry, Roundhay Wing, St James's University Hospital, Beckett St, Leeds LS9 7 TF and t Department of Infectious Diseases, Seacroft Hospital, York Road, Leeds LSI4 6UH, U.K.

https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/0163-4453(91)92864-2

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    MEMarge, Wonko, TiredSam and 6 others like this.
  9. Unable

Unable Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting. They talk of 15 patients in the study, but then admit only 60% of them met the Holmes et al definition of CFS. So that was 9 patients then. Oh but all met the CFS definition from Sharpe et al. :confused:

Wonko, Invisible Woman, Amw66 and 5 others like this.
  10. Sly Saint

job advert:
    Department:Chronic Fatigue
    Salary:£49,077 - £56,632 pa inclusive

https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/showvac/1/2/915439623

Esther12 likes this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do people giving each other awards really qualifies as "award-winning"?

I give you an award. You give me an award. You get award. You get an award. Everybody gets an award. We're all award-winning!

There are many commercial organisations that do similar stuff. Basically fake "business bureaus" that give the illusion of being official but in fact it's all just a marketing thing and people pay to get their award for something like #1 business of their kind in some area.

Most papers in this area of "research" seem to be reviewed only by like-minded members of the mutual admiration society. They give each other awards and commendations, mentor each other and never, ever, criticize another's work.

All done in the old ways of doing science, with confident rhetoric and the skin-deep illusion of seriousness, cherry-picking and outcome-seeking. Every research is ground-breaking, even if it's literally identical to dozens of similar work that has all the same flaws and assumptions.

And it will all end up in the same filing cabinet as phrenology. All of this for nothing. Millions of lives destroyed for an ideological circlejerk.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    MEMarge, Esther12, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  12. rvallee

Continuing on that thought, I don't remember a single piece of serious internal criticism in this area of research. It's all flawless, all a thing of beauty. No one says anything bad about their colleagues' work, it's all useful and beneficial and groundbreaking. Even glaring flaws are OK and never remove anything from the outstanding brilliance of the work.

As far as I can tell this is the exact opposite of how scientists behave. Scientists become very possessive of their own ideas and will find 100 flaws in other people's work before they find something they like. One particular reason is that almost all the research published in this specialty is identical to one another, or close to. It's all slight variations of the same theme. Everyone is playing the same chords in the same key and time signature, the instruments are tuned identically.

So while I don't have personal experience of how intensely scientists typically criticize each others' ideas, it's just too similar to programming and a popular trope in films and television where one programmer glances at a screen of code and just marvels at how brilliant it is. This has never, ever, happened unironically in the entire history of programming. No one has ever looked at someone else's code and bestowed it any more praise than calling it, yes, a piece of garbage, but a functional piece of garbage. Most programmers will call their own code from a few weeks back a piece of flatulent garbage 100:1 over praising it as anything more than modestly functional.

So this is extremely revealing about the inherent flaws in this whole area of research: the self-correcting process of science has been turned off. This has happened many times in the past, many of those within the areas of psychosomatic medicine, always with the same predictable outcome.

MEMarge likes this.
  13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

:emoji_trophy::emoji_trophy::emoji_medal::emoji_medal::emoji_medal:go @rvallee award winning contribution to S4ME

MEMarge, Chezboo, Esther12 and 2 others like this.
  14. chrisb

All must have prizes! As this was the expressed view of the Dodo let us hope they too are on the point of extinction.

15. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.
  16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Why is it people need to show off with such long lists of meaningless qualifications:
    What on earth is a chartered scientist?
    This reads to me as a PE teacher who has done a diploma in pain management. And now she does GET for ME patients. What could possibly go wrong? :(

MEMarge, TiredSam, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  17. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly, I think it may be driven by employers who no longer use common sense and judgment and just go over a list of how many things the person has done to 'prove' they are worthy of a job.

MEMarge, ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  18. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, EzzieD, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  19. rvallee

I have appropriately adapted my signature to reflect this commendation, which I accept with pride and... pizza.

20. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Jaclyn is an exercise physiologist with a special interest in chronic fatigue and pain."
    Says it all really. ( my bold)

Snowdrop, MEMarge, rvallee and 3 others like this.