1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dr Gabrielle Murphy - UK BPS ME/CFS doctor

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Sly Saint, Dec 1, 2018.

1. large donner

large donner Guest

In a model? Oh dear.

We believe in a model, not scientific then is it. We got this model and we are desperately waiting to find the patients to fit it.

We have no proof so we in this religion are stuck in the belief of our model stage. To back up our belief we will now go away and write our scriptures.

Not that we hear much of them now but this is exactly what Horig and Lipkin where doing. It was extremely frustrating when people couldn't see through their voodo and saw them as Messiahs too.

obeat, Sean, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many thanks for doing that.

As an immunologist I fear I have to conclude this is drivel. (Maybe nobody is surprised.)

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

No but it’s good to have it confirmed

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Would this then be a good question for the likes of Pariante- do you subscribe to the psychoneuroimmunological model of ME

ladycatlover and MEMarge like this.
  5. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be fair, when scientists say "I believe X" they usually mean it in the sense of "based on all the evidence that has been accumulated, X seems to be the most probable explanation". This is a very different usage than faith based belief.

I'm not trying to support the psychoneuroimmunological model, just saying that trying to make something of the words "we believe" probably isn't helpful.

livinglighter, Forbin, JaneL and 3 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's safe to say that he does:
    "
    Prof Carmine Pariante receives PNIRS Norman Cousins Award
    Posted on 14/09/2016
    [​IMG]
    Professor Carmine Pariante has received the prestigious Psychoneuroimmunology Research Society (PNIRS) Norman Cousins Award, the highest honour given by the Society to an individual, for outstanding contributions to research in psychoneuroimmunology. The PNIRS is an international organisation working to understand the role of the brain and immune system in health, and how basic research at the interface between the brain and the immune system can be translated into clinically relevant health applications."
    https://www.kcl.ac.uk/ioppn/news/re...ante-receives-pnirs-norman-cousins-award.aspx

NelliePledge, JaneL, ukxmrv and 2 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, livinglighter, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps someone should inform the publishers that the book is out of date and directly contradicts new NICE guidelines, so the book should be withdrawn.

9. daftasabrush

daftasabrush Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We need to get them withdrawn from libraries, especially the Well Read section of recommended health related books... which was my first encounter with the BPS model and Sharpe's utter nonsense.

I do not know how to do this.