1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE Guideline review: Call for evidence on myalgic encephalomyelitis (or encephalopathy)/chronic fatigue syndrome, deadline 16th Oct 2019

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Andy, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think with the NICE submission we had a thread like this one where we collected comments from members then we produced a first draft for NICE on another thread and people suggested comments and edits which got included. This was then the document that got submitted.

2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As I see it this call for evidence is not NICE asking to send them any study on ME/CFS we find interesting or that we think they should read in formulating the NICE guideline. As I interpret it the scope is quite restricted to: management while the ME/CFS diagnosis is being made, monitoring of ME/CFS patients once the diagnosis is made and information on the experiences of patients who have followed treatment.

Please correct me I'm wrong. But if that's the case I see no need in trying to collect studies outside the scope. I assume these will already be passed on to the GDG. I suspect that the technical team could find few studies on the particular domains listed or in the case of patient experiences that they suspect patient surveys exist they can't easily retrieve using databases. So in those cases, it makes sense to ask for further evidence, for example, unpublished studies, unknown patient surveys etc.

3. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some journal articles are not listed in some databases such as PubMed, so can be missed in searches.

It depends what algorithms they are using. A lot of systematic reviews just focus on clinical trials so can miss other types of evidence. Also some publication types like correspondence often gets ignored in systematic reviews, unfortunately.

MEMarge, ladycatlover, MeSci and 8 others like this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here's something frustrating that happened with the AHRQ review in the US:
    AHRQ.JPG

If I recall correctly, the employment data from the PACE Trial wasn't included. They used the WSAS questionnaire data from the initial paper, but not the actual employment data that was published in a separate paper.

Snow Leopard, Hutan, Medfeb and 7 others like this.
  5. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, that's right. With the caveat that Tom's post is also right (some things get lost, so it doesn't just have to be patient surveys sent in).

6. Tilly

Tilly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sarah94, ladycatlover and JaneL like this.
  7. adambeyoncelowe

8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. adambeyoncelowe

10. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Annamaria, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  11. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Had to w/t my Research Nurse at CureME today, so I asked that he check that someone there will be replying to the stakeholder letter with details of all their published research.

MEMarge, andypants, Esther12 and 5 others like this.
  12. adambeyoncelowe

I had clocked it but it's good to be reminded. Our next meeting is on Thursday, so it's good to be refreshed!
    Thank you.

13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I sincerely hope the quality of any evidence will be properly scrutinised this time around, taking proper independent advice on that wherever they need to. Blindly assuming 'evidence' to be valid just because that's what a paper calls it, or because a Cochrane review 'endorses' it, should be totally ruled out. The BPS crowd may have all sorts of trials alleging 'evidence', but we all know it fails to stand up to proper scrutiny. If NICE fails to adequately address that issue this time around, then that will be deeply shameful.

JemPD, ladycatlover, Tilly and 11 others like this.
  15. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am putting together a submission for one of the registered stakeholders. Does anyone know if there is a template which we can work from for the document submission?

JaneL and ladycatlover like this.
  16. adambeyoncelowe

Not that I've seen.

ETA: See below.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  17. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see Tom Kindlon's submission has a nice table format. I have asked if he can lend me a template!

MEMarge, JaneL, ladycatlover and 4 others like this.
  18. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That template is available on the NICE website, all submissions have to follow it.

It says:

MEMarge, Barry, andypants and 7 others like this.
  19. adambeyoncelowe

Thank you!

JaneL, ladycatlover and Gecko like this.
  20. Tilly

Tilly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Annamaria, ukxmrv, JaneL and 4 others like this.