1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Survey of activity pacing across healthcare professionals informs a new activity pacing framework for chronic pain/fatigue, 2019, Antcliff et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Tom Kindlon, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free full text:
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/msc.1421

MSEsperanza, Hutan, rainy and 10 others like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Gradually increasing goes against the normal useage of pacing which is to maintain a STEADY pace to enable you to reach a goal without becoming exhausted before you reach it.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pace oneself

Gradually increasing is the therapist acting as a pacemaker- ie setting a pace for someone else.

4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I note that they refer to 'chronic pain/fatigue', not chronic fatigue syndrome. Looks like another word is required for pacing that involves increasing activity, as opposed to the kind that is used properly in ME/CFS, which responds to fatigue by reducing/stopping activity, or which is carefully timed.

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

And for bonus psychosocial babble points
    all in the first paragraph.

Well, another, more accurate, phrase would be graded activity, but they've learnt that many patients have got wise about anything they call graded, so they just lie and call their graded activity pacing.

@PhysiosforME , I'm afraid what we tend to see from your colleagues and related professionals is the worst kind of deceitful behaviour. Aren't all patients meant to be able to give informed consent to any treatment that they receive?

MSEsperanza, inox, Tilly and 27 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read the paper beyond the abstract, but a glance through the references listed at the end shows the great majority are about rehabilitative exercise for chronic pain. The few about ME/ CFS are PACE and the Cochrane Exercise for CFS review and the NICE guidelines.

And why would a survey of therapists be the basis for developing a best practice guide. All their survey shows is that for ME, the majority have the concept of pacing completely wrong. What they are describing is GET. It is dishonest to tell patients this is pacing.

MSEsperanza, inox, ahimsa and 22 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Literally what pacing means and it's the least supported. What this is otherwise describing here is the opposite of pacing.

As usual this would be relatively OK if it avoided making baseless claims that this applies to ME. But it still makes it out to be this complex thing when it's not. There is nothing profound behind this, it comes naturally from patient experience and it requires no significant expert input. Might as well make a whole undergraduate-level class on how you "should put the garbage in the garbage can".

What a complete mess. The psychosocial ideology has been like a grenade in the system. Actually, strike that, make it a chronic onslaught of grenades randomly chucked around with no aim or purpose.

inox, Mithriel, shak8 and 20 others like this.
  8. JohnM

JohnM Established Member (Voting Rights)

"Grading Activity Manual - (Reprinted with permisssion from Fighting Fatigue: a practical guide to managing the symptoms of CFS/ME)" - is the title of a handout issued by the Leeds & West Yorkshire CFS/ME Service in 2012. Fighting Fatigue was written by Pemberton S and Berry C, Hammersmith Press, 2009. Since Sue Pemberton set up the Yorkshire Fatigue Clinic, I strongly suspect that what is now referred to as the STEP Programme, is essentially a renaming of Grading Activity. I also think that the graphic on the Clinical Services for CFS/ME page, pretty much shows how they continue to view CFS/ME .. the usual conflation of fatigue and CFS/ME to my mind, but I'll leave others to judge for themselves.

An extract from the Grading Activity Manual as above Trish ..
    It was quite entertaining to note in the booklet how to grade and breakdown activity .. discusses time, distance, speed, strength, resistance, rest and complexity. Of the first two, its all about increasing time spent on any activity, and how to increase distances covered with activities such as walking, swimming, driving, and the like, i.e. GET-lite, given the absence of a structured weekly increase in activity level/s? Worry not, if you have 'relapses or setbacks', or have reached a 'plateau', they had other manuals for dealing with them. ;)

Apologies on a long post .. one of these days, hehe! Wishing everyone improved health and every happiness. John :) x

9. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why is it assumed by medical people that the patient is too dumb to figure out how much she is able to do and what she should refrain from doing? What happened to the concept of learning from patients or is that only done in certain types of nursing research.

Why is it that medical people believe they know more than patients about the patient's own body? Sounds like these rehab clinics push people into doing more than they should be doing.
    Do the clinics think we are all laggers?

2kidswithME, rainy, Anna H and 15 others like this.
  10. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Endorsed by who? Therapists? Patients? ME patients?

alktipping, shak8, AliceLily and 10 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was thinking about that recently...

It used to be that doctors were the only educated people. At all. No one else was educated about anything, besides clergy anyway. Before the scientific revolution, even scientists were basically tinkerers and general natural philosophers. The vast majority of the population was illiterate and the only otherwise educated people were either generalists, with a minimal understanding of history and philosophy, or number crunchers, like engineers.

It really seems like this historical artifact continues to this day, that the beliefs that were more or less justified at the time, that everyone but doctors were drooling idiots, is still part of the culture and thinking because medicine never had to adjust its culture despite massive societal changes. It just had too much weight and no pressure to change.

I'm not sure if medical training still teaches that doctors are the only smart people to have ever existed, but in practice it's a distinction without a difference considering how hostile they behave towards any input that isn't from other medical professionals. It's frankly hard to argue otherwise considering how automatic the contempt for patient experience is.

Seems like an anachronistic artifact of history that is simply very slow to be dispelled. Unfortunately it has very lethal consequences, but otherwise there seems to be little interest in changing this.

alktipping, rainy, AliceLily and 5 others like this.
  12. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The only recommendation for ME should be to rest. Patient's aren't stupid, we know how important exercise and getting the body moving is. But when it come to ME, the ceiling for exertion is so low that it is harmful to recommend exercise. Exertion should always be at the patient's discretion.

My severe years were hideous with very hard hitting PEM's because I was having to out in an very ill state to attend to things. I was overdoing it so much and because of this, as I said, I suffered years and years of PEM's that were unbearable. I also had the double hit of severe brain/cognitive symptoms with my ME. Head pain which I still get at moderate level and flares up very easily.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    alktipping, Hutan, rainy and 11 others like this.
  13. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just a bit before it said
    So it's therapists opinions.

14. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Polling healthcare professionals is kind of useless after they have made a point of giving out incorrect information.

alktipping, inox, feeb and 12 others like this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree this is terrible. The fact that something like this has been published is an indication of just how little health care workers involved understand gathering a meaningful evidence base and also the serious ethical implications of misrepresenting medical knowledge to patients.

This study aimed to undertake the first stage in developing a comprehensive evidence-based activity pacing framework.

It certainly should do nothing of the kind. There is no evidence base involved, simply beliefs.

I have noted in my evidence to NICE that there is a serious problem with therapists confusing the aim of treatment (being able to do more) with the mode of treatment (doing more). They are not the same. Unfortunately it seems that the culture in physiotherapy is too uncritical to be of any use to anyone.

16. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Their assumption is that it's a behavioural problem (low activity levels), and that changing behaviour (higher activity levels) means having successfully treated the patient.

This sort of analysis is just too simplistic. Being able to increase activity levels is no good when it soon leads to a painful relapse where the patient then does even less than before.

alktipping, Hutan, inox and 20 others like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is noteworthy that the first author is funded as a lecturer by NIHR, presumably to do this sort of 'work'.
    The system really is in a mess.

18. JaneL

JaneL Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But we already have a term for this - it’s called graded activity

19. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All I can really say at the moment is we have a lot of work to do to educate our colleagues..... Adding this to the list!

alktipping, Hutan, ringding and 27 others like this.
  20. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We've talked about this in our group and plan to make a formal comment about it. But first we need to thoroughly read through it, check out some of the references and we hope to make contact with the authors too. We will keep you updated as we go.

alktipping, Hutan, ringding and 32 others like this.