1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE Guideline review: Call for evidence on myalgic encephalomyelitis (or encephalopathy)/chronic fatigue syndrome, deadline 16th Oct 2019

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Andy, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The 2 year recovery period is also a misnomer and causes issues - Rowe et al and International paediatric primer suggest recovery over 4-6 years possible and not the 80% rate, If you could query this too that would be brilliant - thanks

2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, happily.
    If you want to send me an outline of why severe young people, such as your daughter, were not able to participate in the latest Oxford Brookes survey, I can pass that on too.

3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @MEMarge

Annamaria and ladycatlover like this.
  4. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Milo, Gecko, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  5. MEMarge

Annamaria and InitialConditions like this.
  6. MEMarge

A big thank you to everyone on the thread who have made suggestions.

Please note that MEAction UK is reliant on a small number of healthy volunteers doing this. Many of them have also been very busy with the survey for NICE and collating responses to very tight deadlines.

I have tried to help out by forwarding the relevant ones that were not already on their list, in the last couple of weeks. These may or may not make the final copy. With my limited available time and tech ability, I may have missed some, but have done my best.

As suggested earlier in the thread, please do submit your own suggestions, if they are relevant to the 3 areas mentioned in the initial post of this thread.

Let's all hope that the hard work done by patients and advocates to provide evidence for the NICE process makes a difference.
    In particular, that those involved with clinics can begin to grasp why there is such a disconnect between their views and the lived reality of people with ME.

7. MEMarge

AfME website seems to be currently inaccessible. Maybe they are changing things....

Barry, JaneL and Trish like this.
  8. Colette

Colette Established Member

9. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Got our submission in yesterday - phew. Rather glad it's done!

You can read the full thing here: https://www.meaction.net/wp-content...ICE-ME-CFS-call-for-evidence-consultation.pdf

And please feel free to share our article about it: https://www.meaction.net/2019/10/17/nice-called-for-evidence-read-meaction-uks-response/

Wanted to say another mega thanks to all those who proposed stuff to include - there's a thanks to S4ME in the article itself too.

Also got the survey results written up into a report and submitted, but will be launching those with a separate article properly later today (about 3pm). Sad findings, albeit mostly expected, and hard reading through so many comments of how people have been terribly treated :(

Been a lot of work and I'm gonna be taking some time hopefully away from my laptop after today, so probs won't be very responsive for a little while. Take care all.

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thank you @Gecko for all your hard work on these very worthwhile tasks.

11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Excellent work I will share to local Facebook group

Daisymay, MeSci, Andy and 7 others like this.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There looks like there is a lot of useful information in this. Thanks to everyone involved.

Minor point:
    Everything seems to be called "published". I think by published they mean something that is in an academic publication e.g. journal or academic book (or perhaps any book). Items simply on websites such as those created by ME charities I think would likely be seen as "unpublished material".
    It seems I was wrong about the "published" point, at least in this instance.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    ukxmrv, Daisymay, Gecko and 5 others like this.
  13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

That is a huge effort, and very useful. Thanks to all involved. :thumbup:

14. Kirsten

Kirsten Established Member (Voting Rights)

This is fantastic, thanks so much, it must have taken so much work! Kx

Daisymay, MEMarge, Gecko and 5 others like this.
  15. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good point. We've sent a follow up email just to clarify and make sure they've got everything needed - no response yet but can't imagine they'd reject a submission because of that!

Thanks for the postive feedback all.

Barry, MeSci, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure about that. Increasingly when a do a citation list in a paper I find myself just putting URLs. Key bits of information are not necessarily in journals or books. I think something on the net is 'published' although that may not be what was meant in this case.

17. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I sent an email to NICE to ask just this question. The reply was that it is "published" if it appears on a website and is not restricted to medical journals.

MEMarge, Binkie4, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Barry, Esther12, Andy and 2 others like this.
  19. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The trouble with using URLs is that they often change. I have found this in many reference lists, etc., that I have done.

mango, Barry and ME/CFS Skeptic like this.
  20. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Gecko

MEMarge and Gecko like this.