1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE Guideline review: Call for evidence on myalgic encephalomyelitis (or encephalopathy)/chronic fatigue syndrome, deadline 16th Oct 2019

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Andy, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Barry

See above posts of mine.

Binkie4, Annamaria, ukxmrv and 2 others like this.
  3. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Barry

Can @Action for M.E. help here ...

Binkie4, Annamaria and Gecko like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

If you want a response from Action for ME, I suggest contacting them directly. They haven't been on the forum for months.

MEMarge, Annamaria, Gecko and 2 others like this.
  6. Barry

Done, fingers crossed.

Binkie4, Annamaria and Gecko like this.
  7. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Barry

Just had a really helpful response from Clare Ogden at @Action for M.E. Thanks Clare :).

See attached pdf of AfME's 2001 UK Severely Neglected patient survey, as (loosely) referenced in the CMO's 2002 report.

Clare is more than happy for ME advocacy organisations to use it.

@Gecko.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  9. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for getting this @Barry! Will add it to our submission.
    I really do hope that the number of patient surveys showing pwme deteriorating after GET can somewhat balance Cochrane's latest outdated assertions - tho at least they now say they can't be sure if GET is or isn't harmful.

ukxmrv, Annamaria, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  10. Barry

I think this could potentially be challengable. It is not about being 'sure', highly confident. When dealing with something being unsafe for humans it is the principle of 'beyond reasonable doubt' that matters, not certainty. The Boeing 737 MAX will have been grounded on this basis at the time - more might have been killed in the interval if high confidence had been insisted upon. (But it wasn't, because that's how it works).

It is true, at this time we lack high confidence evidence (scientifically speaking, I emphasise!) of harms from GET, but there is a plethora of medium confidence evidence to show beyond reasonable doubt there is a safety concern - this is all the bar should need to be set at, until further investigations can be done, or it is accepted the intervention is no longer viable.

In another post I've just written ...

https://www.s4me.info/threads/a-lif...19-naomi-whittingham.11379/page-2#post-206144

... where I wrote ...
    Basically if BSP'ites try to convince that GET can be safely applied to pwME, with the notion of stopping if they look to be getting into trouble, it shows how ignorant they are of these things, where they need to be highly cognisant of them. By the time a pwME may start to show any clues of harms due to GET, it may be way too late, and the tipping point may already have been reached, with further evidence of that still rolling through their physiology and not yet visible.

I say that if anyone tries to assert GET is safe if done by a 'qualified' practitioner, the first thing to challenge is how they pull off the trick of seeing the invisible. Waiting until the slightest visible signs may well be way too late.

ETA: Not quite sure now if being "beyond reasonable doubt" is the threshold or just there existing "a reasonable doubt". There is a difference in level of evidence.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    alktipping, EzzieD, Annamaria and 9 others like this.
  11. Barry

@Action for M.E. also advised me the following, which I've been assuming you already know about, but just in case not:

Annamaria, JaneL, Trish and 2 others like this.
  12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes @Barry i think it would be good for us all to start using these legal terms about the (lack of) safety of GET.

alktipping, EzzieD, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  13. Barry

Hi @Cheshire.

Could you add this Severely Neglected patient survey to the thread here please ...

https://www.s4me.info/threads/patients-surveys.975/

alktipping, Annamaria and Cheshire like this.
  14. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Barry likes this.
  15. Barry

Cheshire likes this.
  16. Tilly

Tilly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought I had responded to this, perhaps I missed it somewhere and wanted to update on how things are going. Angus is finding it hard going with his cognition or lack of it being what it is. I find the researcher engaging and patient.

The problem we face is that we know Angus has a lot to say but is having a problem getting out what he needs to say. We are working around it but it will impact on what is shown. Looking back and what happened is having a dramatic impact on him in the first instance. I knew things had profoundly effected him but no one can prepare you for the way a young person presents it. However, it has a positive impact when he reflects back on what he was able to say. That feeling of being able to say his reality for the first time to a medical person all be it on the end of the phone and not just be listened to be heard is vital not only for him but for the whole process.

Please share wide and far the more that go through this the better the understanding.

The other news I have and sort of related but not is that Gigi is now able to more fingers on demand, toes and now a whole hand. Whoop whoop and when I have a moment will do a proper news update but thought @adambeyoncelowe and @Jonathan Edwards would like to know.

17. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, JaneL, Annamaria and 5 others like this.
  18. Tilly

Tilly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Annamaria, Barry, Amw66 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm assuming that it's not a " temporarily closed" given the remaining timeframe?

Annamaria and MEMarge like this.
  20. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly! I will try and find out roughly how many CYP were recruited, next Tues at AfME AGM. I have a nasty feeling it may be quite a small number, but the Parents' Facebook group have also conducted their own survey for submission to NICE.

I will also ask AfME re the ME info video by Emily Beardall and why it recommends GET.
    They are sharing the results of their latest survey of PwME, which will hopefully show serious concerns re GET, so hopefully I can link in to that.

alktipping, JaneL, Annamaria and 7 others like this.